Chobani Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chobani Founder & CEO Hamdi Ulukaya
Hamdi Ulukaya

Pros
  • flexible work hours and free yogurt for employees (in 10 reviews)

• There are some really, really smart people in the company (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No one feels empowered to challenge the leadership because they are scared (in 5 reviews)

• Lack of structure, work life balance, (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sanitation"

I have been working at Chobani full-time

Pros

I love chobani! Very welcoming and caring environment.

Cons

Very good place to work!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. "Fast Paced"

I have been working at Chobani full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everything at Chobani's corporate office moves really fast. If you like pre-existing processes and stability then it's not the place for you. If you thrive in ambiguity and are quick then Chobani's perfect. So many learning opportunities if you're driven enough and you get to be part of a company that is producing a truly great product.

Cons

Corporate Communication is not the best. Changes are sometimes not communicated well or on time.

3. "Great Place To Work"

I have been working at Chobani full-time

Pros

The company offers opportunity to many people who work hard and want to get ahead.

Cons

The company can help employees with career development more.

"Don't fall for the hype! It's a revolving door."

I worked at Chobani full-time

Pros

Great office location, can form some great personal relationships, brand stands for a good purpose, incubator is good opportunity to help other brands just starting out

Cons

Company believes PR will solve everything, marketing is very ideological vs. executing a defined strategy, no cohesion amongst leadership, work environment can be hostile at times (profanity used in most meetings), everyone is an analyst regardless of title, no development for employees, and job descriptions used for hiring do not accurately reflect the actual job you'll be doing.

Advice to Management

Hire more analysts, create a culture of transparency, not everything needs to be a PR stunt, makes sure that director/vp can actually lead people, focus on an executional strategy, be honest during the interview process (even if that means losing some good candidates).

"Great product but not great management"

Former Employee - Director in Norwich, NY
    Former Employee - Director in Norwich, NY

I worked at Chobani (More than a year)

Pros

The product is one you can believe in and it tastes great.

Cons

Senior management is selfish and do not allow smart people to do their jobs.

Advice to Management

Trust the smart people you hire.

"Smoke and Mirrors"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Chobani full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people who strive to do right by our products and brand.

Cons

As the adage goes, you are only as strong as your weakest link. At Chobani, the weakest link is our leadership. Surrounded by talented people, the leadership values power and asserting authority over making sound and strategic decisions.

Your opinions don't matter- all decisions are made by the CMO and largely defy logic, reason and better judgement. No one feels empowered to challenge the leadership because they are scared. The way the company runs can only be defined as insanity- performing the same actions repeatedly and expecting a different result. You also cannot simply walk around or send out internal communications proclaiming you are better than the competition and will win– you must put forth tactical and strategic marketing plans.

Chobani does not see growth as a necessary element for the careers of it's people. Nor does Chobani set goals at the company level. There is no furthering of education or people development. HR will be of no use here; they are simply in the office to further the efforts of and protect the leadership.

The environment is toxic- those who have been with the company for years are seemingly grandfathered in- getting away with being lazy, absent and repurposing the work of more eager and skilled talent. Its truly a shame.

Having twice-yearly sales and marketing conferences in expensive and lavish destinations so employees can drink the cool-aid is a waste of time and money, especially when you're told there is no money for proper marketing or creative. Money here is spent like it will never run out; the leadership also believes that spending more drives better results. I would advocate for working smarter; perhaps listen to the people you've hired for a change of pace. As Steve Jobs said, It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and then tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do. If you believe this, as I do, then you will unfortunately become easily frustrated with the structure and mindset of this company. Take your talent and aspirations to a company that will encourage you to express your ideas and invest in your growth long-term.

Advice to Management

Create a culture that puts people first and people will be loyal to you. That means listening to your employees and investing in their growth. Stop being arrogant.

You can award company shares to your employees to create a buzz-worthy PR story. However, anyone in finance will tell you these shares were offered in a way that ensures employees will hardly benefit, if at all. This defines Chobani– they are more concerned with a glowing external perception than a glowing internal reality.

8. "QA Lead"

Former Employee - QA Lead in Twin Falls, ID
    Former Employee - QA Lead in Twin Falls, ID

I worked at Chobani (More than a year)

Pros

Great training opportunities. Excellent pay and benefits.

Cons

Terrible management. Very much a "buddy" type of management. A lot of confusion while working there.

Advice to Management

Learn to accept input from those that you manage.

"Unprofessional atmosphere"

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in New York, NY

I worked at Chobani part-time

Pros

Free meals and 17/hourly wage. Work wasn't too physically nor mentally demanding.

Cons

The most difficult thing about the job is dealing with managers and coworkers. They're rude at times, indifferent, and blame each other for everything. I didn't last long here because managers didn't bother to remedy the situation.

Advice to Management

Give active feedback to your employees that makes sense, not random boilerplate statements. I actually wanted to grow here, and that opportunity was snatched from me by not keeping me up to date on my progress.

"Executive Personal Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Chobani (More than 3 years)

Pros

Newly built company. Beautiful office space. Some of the people with whom I worked are extremely genuine and appreciative of the work I was doing.

Cons

Too long work hours and not proper break even during the vacation time. One has to be available 24/7 all the time. Overworked and under appreciated. Never heard a thank you from my boss for the work I was doing all they years I worked with him.

Advice to Management

Show appreciation to the staff who gives all of their energy and time for their jobs. Make them feel safe so they don't walk on eggshells.

11. "Meh"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South New Berlin, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South New Berlin, NY

I worked at Chobani full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All the yogurt you can stand

Cons

Production employees are not a company priority