Choice Hotels Reviews in Phoenix, AZ | Glassdoor

Choice Hotels President, CEO, and Director Stephen P. Joyce
Stephen P. Joyce

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No benefits unless you are management (in 20 reviews)

• Not too much room for advancement or increases in pay, night shift not ideal for work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

1. "Treat like Faimily Member"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Care for employee.
    Free Freedom for new implementation and Great Challenges
    Transparency
    Great HR
    Lots of vacations

Cons

nothing i can think of.

Aug 11, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator, Recruiting

Thank you for your review! We’re glad you enjoy working for Choice and find our tech environment in Phoenix so invigorating. We’re happy to hear our efforts to create a collaborative, supportive work... More

"Politics and Favortism"

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Few employees are good , honest and helpful

Cons

Manager plays extreme politics and favoritism to those who say YES ma'am attitude, irrespective however you are talented and work for the betterment of organization

Advice to Management

Please be aware of such Managers and take corrective action before many talented and honest employees leave making it another Titanic

Aug 11, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator, Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. In an effort to drive positive business outcomes, our Talent Management team works to provide comprehensive managerial leadership support. We... More

3. "Choice created a nice physical environment. The business and IT groups were committed to improving working processes"

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Committed to delivering upon strategic vision both in budget and in organization​al change

Cons

Struggled at times with legacy culture driven people in mid-management roles who were not aligned with the new direction

Aug 11, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator, Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback. Choice is dedicated to our strategic vision and are continuously looking at improving.

"Software Engineer II"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee rates for hotel stays

Cons

No year end or performance bonus

May 3, 2017

Thank you for your positive review! We are glad you enjoy your hotel discounts. Although some positions at Choice do not offer a year end performance bonus, we do offer performance incentive pay... More

"Ok for short term"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Choice Hotels as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good technologies to work on, Company invested a lot in new platform, so there is a lot of good opportunities to learn.
    Company celebrates small achievements so its fun to work and enjoy. Normally good work life balance until unless you are under some critical project.
    Free soft drinks.
    New Idea's and innovation is encouraged by higher management.
    Sr. Management is nice and very friendly , You will get to work few nice and talented colleagues too.

Cons

Medical insurance is having only one high deductible plan.

Certain Directors/Sr. Manger prefer employees of certain race or community , in front of me all the recruitment happen in last 1 year under one director are from certain language or race (Except one or 2 cases) , Which is killing the organization environment and culture you can see all over the floor people are talking in a certain language and other people who don;t understand that language sounds stupid ( No offence to any language , but we should talk in a professional manner so that everyone can understand).
     Even technical discussions happen in same language so if you are from different language background or English background you will loose the context. Most of the tech leads (Except me or few more) are from same background and they keep encouraging this culture and keep talking in team meeting in same language, which only those people understand.

If you are a contractor coming from same language background certainly you will be hired full time soon , so join fearlessly, but if you are from different language then there are less chances of you lasting more than couple of months.

If Management can retain good talented people , certainly it is a good company to work for.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on your Directors or Sr. Managers that how they are building their team with their own people totally based on relations.

"Software Engineer"

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started during the hiring boom in 2015 and the first year was great! Promoted with a sizable salary increase after four months. My manager for the first year was knowledgable, personable and was great at keeping his three teams engaged and aware. My direct leadership now is really in a tough spot between trying to keep the team pacified while upper leadership communicating that everyone is a commodity. It's unfortunate that a lot of very talented and respected technologists have left the company.

Cons

A year in, around July 2016, the rate of people leaving the company voluntarily or involuntarily exploded! Three managers terminated and another left within three weeks. Directors the same ... Some ex-American Express employees have imported the toxicity of that environment. Gross favoritism in the fact that unqualified pets from leadership's "last" company brought in. Attrition in the run organization to the tune of almost 10% in the first quarter alone! When there is an all team meeting with 100+ people in attendance and a director outlines leadership's goals for the year include defining succession plans for everyone. I read this bullet before it was addressed and figured for sure it was a typo and meant success. Nope! So leadership is going to address low morale and 10% attrition by communicating, with sending the message that you're temporary.

Advice to Management

Run, don't walk and gut that IT "Leadership" Team in Phoenix! Mr. Herwig that was brought in recently comes from a structured environment and I believe he's equipped to re-org the teams, stop the pet favoritism, ensure that applicants are vetted by their prospective peers before offers are extended. Until you rid Phoenix of the toxic cancerous leadership, the exodus is going to continue en masse.

Aug 11, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator, Recruiting

Thank you for leaving this review. Choice utilizes succession planning to identify future leaders in the company. We feel it is important to identify employees who have the skills that can help them... More

7. "Love everything but the micromanagement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The building is awesome, the people are great and there is free food at least once a week

Cons

Micromanagement within certain departments that is a new implementation

Mar 3, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator, Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad to hear you approve of our world class Mayo campus. We will share your review with our HR team and leadership.

"SkyTouch Review"

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time

Pros

I tried reviewing SkyTouch and Glassdoor wrote "SkyTouch was recently acquired by Choice Hotels," and that this review will go under Choice. I don't have an opinion of Choice's CEO, and SkyTouch's CEO just quit last week. The new CEO seems enthusiastic, but it's too soon to tell what kind of leader he will be.

Pros: Kind people, company interested in promoting within, above-average benefits, good office location, ping pong table.

Cons

SkyTouch let many employees go in December, and then for months there was radio silence from upper management. Lots of speculation about additional layoffs and Choice shutting us down. The lack of communication and the way the layoffs were handled contributed to people quitting.

Priorities shift constantly, and development teams are regularly reorganized, so things get messy and chaotic. The Product team lacks knowledge and energy, working with them can be difficult.

Advice to Management

Make a plan and stick to it. If there are issues, minor adjustments are alright, but moving people from team to team, cube to cube, scrum to kanban to scrum again- it's too much.

"Unstable Work Environment"

Current Employee - Coordinator DCM in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Coordinator DCM in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I cannot think of any.

Cons

Bias, prejudice and no diversity.

Advice to Management

Get real and hire an outside consulting company to evaluate your leadership team starting with the senior level management in Rockville.

May 3, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. As a current employee, we encourage you to reach out to your HR business partner to discuss your concerns as we are here to help you.

At... More

10. "Digital Performance Analyst"

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, benefits, and compensation

Cons

Depending on the department and location you can be limited.

Advice to Management

Try to develop your people more. The talent within the company is really good

Mar 3, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator, Recruiting

Thank you for your sharing your review. We’re happy to hear you’ve enjoyed Choice’s focus on Total Rewards- from our work-life balance to our compensation packages. We will share your concerns with... More