Choice Hotels Reviews in Phoenix, AZ | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Choice Hotels President, CEO, and Director Stephen P. Joyce
Stephen P. Joyce

Pros
Cons
  • No benefits unless you are management (in 19 reviews)

• Work/life balance for some can be a bit tough which all companies seem to have (in 7 reviews)

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started during the hiring boom in 2015 and the first year was great! Promoted with a sizable salary increase after four months. My manager for the first year was knowledgable, personable and was great at keeping his three teams engaged and aware. My direct leadership now is really in a tough spot between trying to keep the team pacified while upper leadership communicating that everyone is a commodity. It's unfortunate that a lot of very talented and respected technologists have left the company.

Cons

A year in, around July 2016, the rate of people leaving the company voluntarily or involuntarily exploded! Three managers terminated and another left within three weeks. Directors the same ... Some ex-American Express employees have imported the toxicity of that environment. Gross favoritism in the fact that unqualified pets from leadership's "last" company brought in. Attrition in the run organization to the tune of almost 10% in the first quarter alone! When there is an all team meeting with 100+ people in attendance and a director outlines leadership's goals for the year include defining succession plans for everyone. I read this bullet before it was addressed and figured for sure it was a typo and meant success. Nope! So leadership is going to address low morale and 10% attrition by communicating, with sending the message that you're temporary.

Advice to Management

Run, don't walk and gut that IT "Leadership" Team in Phoenix! Mr. Herwig that was brought in recently comes from a structured environment and I believe he's equipped to re-org the teams, stop the pet favoritism, ensure that applicants are vetted by their prospective peers before offers are extended. Until you rid Phoenix of the toxic cancerous leadership, the exodus is going to continue en masse.

"Unstable Work Environment"

Current Employee - Coordinator DCM in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Coordinator DCM in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I cannot think of any.

Cons

Bias, prejudice and no diversity.

Advice to Management

Get real and hire an outside consulting company to evaluate your leadership team starting with the senior level management in Rockville.

May 3, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. As a current employee, we encourage you to reach out to your HR business partner to discuss your concerns as we are here to help you. At ... More

"CUSTOMER SERVICE"

Current Employee - Customer Relations Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Relations Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

They give you food around the Holidays

Cons

Health insurance is pointless here. Managers are great at micromanaging, you get in trouble for taking a restroom break, they question you when you are sick and have a dr note. Only like you if you kiss up to management. This place is great if you are part of the IT dept. If you are in customer service you don't matter and are easily replaceable.

Advice to Management

Grow up

Jan 25, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator, Recruiting

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your concerns, and we will share your feedback with our HR team and leadership.

"I've NEVER"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist I in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Southwest headquarters building in Scottsdale is beautiful and inviting.

Cons

I have never been treated so poorly buy a management and directorial team as I had been by this company. I have 20 years experience in customer service as a supervisor and manager. I've dealt with Shady business dealings in the past but the subversion and disrespect I experienced while with this company was like none I had ever seen before.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect, honesty and the transparency upper management brags about and people would be happy. When you realign a department and ensure everyone will retain their position DON'T make everyone reapply and interview, it's stressful, it's not transparent and it's not what you promised.

Dec 7, 2016 – Social Media Coordinator, Recruiting

Thank you for your review. We take your feedback seriously and will share your review with our HR team and leadership.

"Corrupt leadership team in IT"

Former Employee - Mid Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Mid Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Was a great place to work before they ruined the IT company

Cons

Horrible leadership, dishonest, corrupt and horrible place to work. I worked there for 5+ years and the company does not care about the staff. Company has lost the majority of the staff who helped make the company very profitable. Benefits are the worse in the industry. I would steer clear of this company.

Advice to Management

Get the many layers or leaders and value your employees once again, they are the ones make you money.

Aug 16, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. Choice works diligently to promote a positive working environment, engaged culture, and Choice’s core key values of collaboration, respect ... More

"Data Channel Coordinator"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time

Pros

The people are great. The facility is very nice.

Cons

Fear of losing your job every day if you make one boss angry or do not do her bidding. Training was abysmal. Team leads were not qualified to answer half of the questions. Team leads would work from home, but were unreachable in a crisis. Team supervisors hated the manager and the fighting was obvious.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring too many contractors. Make time for structured training.

"Used to be a great place to work....."

Former Employee - Technical Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Technical Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

relationship based company, work with latest technology, discount on hotels, fun work events, cool and modern work environment

Cons

relationship based company, good ol' boys club, lots of office politics, top heavy, no room for growth in certain departments and roles, lower pay than what is industry standard, weak healthcare benefits and only offer an HSA plan, no tuition reimbursement, stock options only offered at executive level, bonus structure only offered to management and above

Advice to Management

The owners and shareholders need to look at the leadership and get rid of people that have been there for years, but aren't performing at an optimal level, and not keep them just because they have been there forever. Many of the leaders are questionable and don't believe they uphold the company values. The HR Department is the weakest link at this company and they need to get rid of all the HR leaders from the SVP and VP level down to the management level and maybe this will help improve the company culture and restore the integrity they have managed to tear apart by their actions that everyone is aware of but nobody does anything about it. It's amazing to see that they are there year after year, yet no one feels comfortable working with them and they are roadblocks to improvement. The owners of this company are either being kept in the dark or they simply don't care and only focus on making money. This place used to be a great place to work and now people are resigning with no job lined up and it's making the associates that are left behind nervous. That's when I knew it was time to go. I would stay away.

"Program Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

An exciting Agile SAFe environment with a new and growing company. A work environment that focuses on employee engagement and encourages innovation.

Cons

Upper management issues and infighting destroyed the drive for a SAFe organization. Nearsightedness of upper management is destroying what could have become a world class business opportunity.

Advice to Management

Get your act together. Working late was stressful due to bickering and fighting between the VP's. It is hard to feel good about an employer when upper management can't work together.

"After a decade at Choice, were I to interview there now, I would never have accepted a position"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You will handle more than one position, so you will learn quickly how to juggle and prioritize
    When you start, your pay will be lower than competitive but decent enough for some
    The office is new and clean, and given how many people keep leaving, there is plenty of room and parking

Cons

Once you master more than one position, you will be expected to stay at that pace and receive even more responsibilities. At this point, you may kiss your work-life balance goodbye and your salary will be far less than your worth. Intense amount of managerial greed currently growing. Cold environment full of miserable, used-up employees and ignorant temps/contractors/interns.

Advice to Management

Management is on a tear to ruin the company with failing outsourcing, replacing full time workers with contractors with limited knowledge and allowing high levels of attrition, which is completely unnecessary. They are thinking short-term only for their own gain. Advice for Board Members is to look at what it takes to maintain growth long term and seek the truth from management about current strategies. 8 people can't produce code for this website for as many projects as they expect to be achieved for long. It's good to be lean; it's not good to be emaciated.

"Phoenix IT is very bad - don't join"

Current Employee - IT Development in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - IT Development in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not much to think of other than the Managers. Directors and Executives are getting a very good bonus, while blaming the staff when things don't go well.

Cons

Bad Management
    Poor benefits
    The CTO in Phoenix is cluless. Lot of bright and good people are leaving Choice beacause of his leadership or lack of. HR Director in Phoenix and HR VP are clueless and are jokes. No idea how these people got promoted.

Advice to Management

Reach out to the work force. Check why so many turn overs in Phoenix IT. Check if the Sr. Directors and Vps shared the employee engagement with their staff. Benefits are jokes. Spread the wealth. Abolish the yearly and mid-term reviews. These are not effecive and only counter productive. Hire a better HR Director.