Choice Hotels Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Choice Hotels President, CEO, and Director Stephen P. Joyce
Stephen P. Joyce

Pros
Cons
  • No benefits unless you are management (in 19 reviews)

• Work/life balance for some can be a bit tough which all companies seem to have (in 7 reviews)

"Wouldn't recommend working anywhere near the sales dept"

Current Employee - Contract Specialist in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Contract Specialist in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Choice in general seems to care about employees, great benefits, events on occasion and they're working on bringing salaries up to market rate

Cons

Incredibly slow to move, several departments have had to wait months just to get approval to replace an employee that's left, people are leaving left and right and it's taking forever to replace them. Our management pretends to care but it has become pretty blatant that our complaints and requests are not being dealt with. Employees that treat others terribly are not dealt with if they are good sales people or get a lot of work done making for a really miserable work environment. Our entire team is applying elsewhere says it all.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't listen, there's no point

May 3, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. In an effort to drive positive business outcomes, our organization has gone through some change recently and we thank you for your patience and agility as we are all ... More

"Proceed with Caution: Highly political, Favoritism, Constant Turnover, Weak Career Advancement"

Former Employee - Director in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Director in Rockville, MD

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I did meet some talented and genuinely good people. One or two exemplary leaders. I liked having the occasional opportunity to work with franchisees and people on the field.

The offices are pretty nice (only 3-4 yrs old). Aside from the normal benefits there are a few perks related to hotel rooms, although these could be improved as well.

Lastly I will say that the hospitality industry in general does have "nice" and "hospitable" people which is not something to scoff at. If you're tired of the smugness or cutthroat nature of finance, VC or high tech, this can be a welcome change of pace.

Cons

Where to begin. The biggest things are that Choice has a hard time attracting and keeping top talent; nasty, closed-door politics at high levels; performance not properly rewarded, while favoritism abounds; and a delusion that the company is a "technology leader" (it's not) which underlies some questionable strategic decisions. Middle management at Choice is a tough spot to be in.

- Salaries are around 10-15% lower than the other major hospitality companies in the area, and there has been a major migration of top talent in that direction in the last few years.

- The organization is spread pretty thin. Some teams are responsible for duties that 2 or 3 teams share at competitors, making stress levels high. This would seem to call for higher compensation, not lower.

- Leaders insist on calling Choice a tech company. Mainly because supposedly they were one of the first hotel companies to launch an iphone app, and because of the property mgmt system which is cloud-based. This is delusional. The system lacks much of the functionality, reporting and reliability that many competitor systems have (is that why it was first to market in the cloud?) and franchisees are constantly complaining about technology that corporate develops. There is a huge discrepancy here between management's rhetoric and user experience at the hotels/guests in this respect. SkyTouch was spun off 4 or 5 years ago, basically selling the same PMS to other hotel companies... and it has been a major flop. Essentially, Choice remains the only major client, it has been running huge losses, Wall Street analysts hate it, it drives software development resources away from more pressing initiatives--however it looks like the captain wants go down with the ship on this one.

- The performance review process is messed up. Somehow, people that get top marks in annual reviews a couple years in a row are passed up for promotions while 2-3 people (usually working for the most powerful leaders) get promoted 4 times in 18 months.

- Project managers for some of the most important, high-profile initiatives are given unrealistic timelines that they have no say over, not enough resources to get them done, and more often than not end up getting the boot when the insane expectations aren't met flawlessly. This happened after the redesign of the website and the overhaul of the loyalty program (they won an award, were praised in the press, and then privately basically the entire team was summarily disposed of a couple of weeks later). After a major project was completed to launch the new vacation rental business, the leader of that project left to take a job with Hilton, instead of staying to run that exciting new venture at Choice.

- Global Sales... ugh, what to say about it. Just stay away. They've put so many people through the woodchipper over there... from analysts to VPs. That place must be haunted.

- Constant turnover. In the last year or so, several SVPs have been axed or left (including the CFO). Obviously, even more so at lower levels in the company. This constant herky-jerky lowers employee morale and interrupts the real work.

Choice has a tough road ahead. As many other industries in the last 10-15 years, the hospitality industry has begun to consolidate. Choice has made huge bets on new lines of business (entering a new market segment with Cambria and Ascend; SkyTouch; the vacation rental business) but its market share has not gained. Cambria/Ascend are working out OK, although much slower than projected, SkyTouch is a disaster, and the VR business remains to be seen but I suspect will be very difficult to gain market share against established machines like Airbnb, Homeaway, Booking, Wyndham or Hilton.

Meanwhile, competitors have begun to attach the select-service segment with new brands like Tru, AC Hotels, Element... directly competing with Choice's core brands (Comfort, Quality, Sleep). I think this is going to put a lot of pressure on Choice to perform against those brands backed by Hilton, Marriott, IHG--and you may see franchisees start to jump ship. Personally, I don't see Choice surviving as a stand-alone company more than 5 or 6 years.

Overall, it's not a terrible place to work for a year or two, learn something, and move on to something better. There are 2 or 3 tight power circles in the company. If you're in those, you're OK; if not, watch your back.

Advice to Management

Look for the right opportunity to sell the company. Seriously. Your responsibility should be to maximize returns to shareholders, and that is the best way to respond to the threats you face as a company.

Move to a true meritocracy. Eliminate blatant favoritism. You know what I'm talking about.

Also, as others have mentioned, pick a path and stick to it. Don't change directions, fire leaders, or churn entire teams on an annual basis. You can't do anything like that.

May 3, 2017

Thank you for your very thorough review of your employment experience. At Choice, our people matter – and we go to great lengths to continuously obtain feedback about how we’re doing through ... More

"Ok for short term"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Choice Hotels as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good technologies to work on, Company invested a lot in new platform, so there is a lot of good opportunities to learn.
    Company celebrates small achievements so its fun to work and enjoy. Normally good work life balance until unless you are under some critical project.
    Free soft drinks.
    New Idea's and innovation is encouraged by higher management.
    Sr. Management is nice and very friendly , You will get to work few nice and talented colleagues too.

Cons

Medical insurance is having only one high deductible plan.

Certain Directors/Sr. Manger prefer employees of certain race or community , in front of me all the recruitment happen in last 1 year under one director are from certain language or race (Except one or 2 cases) , Which is killing the organization environment and culture you can see all over the floor people are talking in a certain language and other people who don;t understand that language sounds stupid ( No offence to any language , but we should talk in a professional manner so that everyone can understand).
     Even technical discussions happen in same language so if you are from different language background or English background you will loose the context. Most of the tech leads (Except me or few more) are from same background and they keep encouraging this culture and keep talking in team meeting in same language, which only those people understand.

If you are a contractor coming from same language background certainly you will be hired full time soon , so join fearlessly, but if you are from different language then there are less chances of you lasting more than couple of months.

If Management can retain good talented people , certainly it is a good company to work for.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on your Directors or Sr. Managers that how they are building their team with their own people totally based on relations.

"SkyTouch Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time

Pros

I tried reviewing SkyTouch and Glassdoor wrote "SkyTouch was recently acquired by Choice Hotels," and that this review will go under Choice. I don't have an opinion of Choice's CEO, and SkyTouch's CEO just quit last week. The new CEO seems enthusiastic, but it's too soon to tell what kind of leader he will be.

Pros: Kind people, company interested in promoting within, above-average benefits, good office location, ping pong table.

Cons

SkyTouch let many employees go in December, and then for months there was radio silence from upper management. Lots of speculation about additional layoffs and Choice shutting us down. The lack of communication and the way the layoffs were handled contributed to people quitting.

Priorities shift constantly, and development teams are regularly reorganized, so things get messy and chaotic. The Product team lacks knowledge and energy, working with them can be difficult.

Advice to Management

Make a plan and stick to it. If there are issues, minor adjustments are alright, but moving people from team to team, cube to cube, scrum to kanban to scrum again- it's too much.

"Front Desk"

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy interface to use - when it works.

Great discounts but not as may great options compared to other widely known brands.

Every Choice Hotel is independently run as Choice is a franchise so what may be good for me may not apply to others in the chain.

Cons

ChoiceADVANTAGE constantly has issues which can make the job very hard and stressful. In my 2 years with Choice, the system has gone down(un-scheduled) at least once every three months-and once for more than 12 hours! IT is not helpful and "emergency tools" hardly work as they usually go down when the main PMS goes down. When the system isn't down, there is always multiple ongoing glitches that can affect the quality of service provided to the guests.

Advice to Management

Fix the PMS, helps the employees provide better service for the guests!

Feb 15, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator, Recruiting

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your employment experience at one of our franchised hotels. As a franchisor, Choice Hotels International does not own or operate hotels franchised ... More

"not user friendly..."

Current Employee - Director in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Director in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

cheap employee rates for rooms- if available
    provided with tools-computers etc to do your job
    diversity- really live it here.
    employee groups- great for connecting with others in company with like goals.
    Clean working environment
    Good local discounts and programs

Cons

high healthcare costs- high deductibles- high out of pocket
    less than technology- lot's of data entry instead of auto-populate
    don't give notice- they will fire you immediately. if you want to finish your notice time keep quiet.
    co-workers don't want to improve efficiency, afraid they would lose job. one even told me "if we make it to easy, they could replace us."-
    Limited growth- hire from outside to fill.
    Manager brags about working everyday, about getting ahead. yet is always doing personal things when called during the day...

Advice to Management

Treat people with trust. Almost every rule or procedure is based on someone "being dishonest" in the past. Don't fire everyone who turns in their notice. People are trying to do the right thing by giving notice and you treat them like criminals. I have seen 4 in the last 2 months like this.

Mar 3, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator, Recruiting

Thank you for your review. We’re glad to hear you’ve noted Choice’s focus on diversity and employee life. However, we also take your other concerns seriously, and we will share them with our HR team ... More

7. "Outstanding multi tasker take charge person"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent/Housekeeper in Port Huron, MI
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent/Housekeeper in Port Huron, MI

I worked at Choice Hotels part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees, the live in guest, making a guest feel comfortable and helping them as much as I can

Cons

Management, there wasn't any there

Advice to Management

Value your employees better,hire a real manger

Dec 20, 2016 – Social Media Coordinator, Recruiting

"Housekeeping Supervisor"

Former Employee - Housekeeping Supervisor in Dunnellon, FL
    Former Employee - Housekeeping Supervisor in Dunnellon, FL

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time

Pros

It was close to home.

Cons

Disorganized, poor management, too little pay for too much work

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees like slaves!

Dec 2, 2016 – Social Media Coordinator, Recruiting

9. "Laundry and Breakfast"

Former Employee - Laundry and Breakfast in Dundee, MI
    Former Employee - Laundry and Breakfast in Dundee, MI

I worked at Choice Hotels part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People that I work with and loved meeting the guests

Cons

Never have I worked someplace where mangment truly don't seem to care and all the smart comments and bed bugs along with black mold !! When asked for help it's brushed aside! Manager seems truly bothered to even be there!! Jokes makes about how some people do their jobs and we all know some don't !! Yet the ones that don't still have jobs and nothing is said to them !!!! Never seen such a circus !

Advice to Management

Get people that truly care about your hotel working for you !!! And someone who cares about his/her staff !

Dec 2, 2016 – Social Media Coordinator, Recruiting

10. "Housekeeper"

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Lake Charles, LA
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Lake Charles, LA

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This job is pretty much good for a person that is just starting ou like an 18yr old . No career tho.

Cons

Messy no communication horrible management bed bugs no proper ppe . Bad working conditions. Indian ran hotel. The Indians live there

Advice to Management

Hotel should not be opened, needs improving new equipment and materials . Better ownership. Remove the mold work on drugs and etc. Problem

Nov 14, 2016 – Social Media Coordinator, Recruiting