Choice Hotels Reviews | Glassdoor

Patrick Pacious
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No benefits unless you are management (in 23 reviews)

• Not too much room for advancement or increases in pay, night shift not ideal for work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

"Outsourced Jobs to Philippines"

Former Employee - Customer Relations Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Relations Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice Perks, Staff was great

Cons

Outsourced jobs to overseas workers, poorly functioning systems and IT

Advice to Management

For U.S. workers to be pushed aside to get cheap foreign labor it's sad.

2. "Director"

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time

Pros

Some of the people you meet are good

Cons

Lots of politics and favoritism. Frequent layoffs. You will not be promoted if you are not a part of an inner circle. Overall, not a good place to work.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to results of Employee Engagement survey

Dec 5, 2017

Thank you for submitting your feedback. Your thoughts will be shared with leadership.

"Things are great until they're not"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salaries are fair and in range of market, company events aren't too shabby, and overall general culture is OK.

Cons

Sub-cultures are a factor difficult to control in any organization, but when the sub culture of one of the most influential departments of an organization operates on cattiness and lack of communication it becomes detrimental to employees.

HR Directors and business partners have been witnessed openly gossiping about personal matters regarding some employees that have in turn led to the isolation and alienation of these colleagues. Instead of having direct conversations about the issues they have with these individuals, they openly discuss it, allowing others within the office to chime in and form group think opinions. As a result, employees have experienced negative interactions with "in-group" HR department. Whether eye rolls, in-genuine greetings, and unfriendly stares, it has caused some employees to really question the company culture, in which they overtly pride themselves on.

Also, this is a company that takes FOREVER to make decisions. There are meetings about the most repetitive information in order for everyone to consistently brainstorm and come to a conclusive decision to be presented to executives. And they wonder why they're lagging behind in this ever changing industry.

Aug 28, 2017

Thank you for your sharing your thoughts. Your feedback has been shared with executive leadership and immediate action will be taken to investigate your concerns. Although you are no longer an... More

4. "Front Desk Agent"

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in New York, NY

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

very easy system, spare time

Cons

not much for future advancement

Advice to Management

Very Easy system, anyone with little knowledge of computer can act as a front desk agent

Sep 18, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator, Recruiting

5. "The brand is good just not the hotel."

Current Employee - Night Auditor in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Night Auditor in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The area and hotel is nice. Its a lot of attractions

Cons

They want you to do to much for the little they pay. I have over 10 years experience and degree and should make more hourly than i do.

Advice to Management

Pay the employee their worth

Aug 7, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator, Recruiting

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your employment experience at one of our franchised hotels. As a franchisor, Choice Hotels International does not own or operate hotels franchisedunder... More

6. "Hotel Job"

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time

Pros

Family Discounts on very decent rooms.

Cons

No benefits and very low pay!

Advice to Management

Pay your people more than you do because they really work hard!

Aug 7, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator, Recruiting

"Wouldn't recommend working anywhere near the sales dept"

Current Employee - Contract Specialist in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Contract Specialist in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Choice in general seems to care about employees, great benefits, events on occasion and they're working on bringing salaries up to market rate

Cons

Incredibly slow to move, several departments have had to wait months just to get approval to replace an employee that's left, people are leaving left and right and it's taking forever to replace them. Our management pretends to care but it has become pretty blatant that our complaints and requests are not being dealt with. Employees that treat others terribly are not dealt with if they are good sales people or get a lot of work done making for a really miserable work environment. Our entire team is applying elsewhere says it all.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't listen, there's no point

May 3, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. In an effort to drive positive business outcomes, our organization has gone through some change recently and we thank you for your patience and agility as we are all... More

"Proceed with Caution: Highly political, Favoritism, Constant Turnover, Weak Career Advancement"

Former Employee - Director in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Director in Rockville, MD

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I did meet some talented and genuinely good people. One or two exemplary leaders. I liked having the occasional opportunity to work with franchisees and people on the field.

The offices are pretty nice (only 3-4 yrs old). Aside from the normal benefits there are a few perks related to hotel rooms, although these could be improved as well.

Lastly I will say that the hospitality industry in general does have "nice" and "hospitable" people which is not something to scoff at. If you're tired of the smugness or cutthroat nature of finance, VC or high tech, this can be a welcome change of pace.

Cons

Where to begin. The biggest things are that Choice has a hard time attracting and keeping top talent; nasty, closed-door politics at high levels; performance not properly rewarded, while favoritism abounds; and a delusion that the company is a "technology leader" (it's not) which underlies some questionable strategic decisions. Middle management at Choice is a tough spot to be in.

- Salaries are around 10-15% lower than the other major hospitality companies in the area, and there has been a major migration of top talent in that direction in the last few years.

- The organization is spread pretty thin. Some teams are responsible for duties that 2 or 3 teams share at competitors, making stress levels high. This would seem to call for higher compensation, not lower.

- Leaders insist on calling Choice a tech company. Mainly because supposedly they were one of the first hotel companies to launch an iphone app, and because of the property mgmt system which is cloud-based. This is delusional. The system lacks much of the functionality, reporting and reliability that many competitor systems have (is that why it was first to market in the cloud?) and franchisees are constantly complaining about technology that corporate develops. There is a huge discrepancy here between management's rhetoric and user experience at the hotels/guests in this respect. SkyTouch was spun off 4 or 5 years ago, basically selling the same PMS to other hotel companies... and it has been a major flop. Essentially, Choice remains the only major client, it has been running huge losses, Wall Street analysts hate it, it drives software development resources away from more pressing initiatives--however it looks like the captain wants go down with the ship on this one.

- The performance review process is messed up. Somehow, people that get top marks in annual reviews a couple years in a row are passed up for promotions while 2-3 people (usually working for the most powerful leaders) get promoted 4 times in 18 months.

- Project managers for some of the most important, high-profile initiatives are given unrealistic timelines that they have no say over, not enough resources to get them done, and more often than not end up getting the boot when the insane expectations aren't met flawlessly. This happened after the redesign of the website and the overhaul of the loyalty program (they won an award, were praised in the press, and then privately basically the entire team was summarily disposed of a couple of weeks later). After a major project was completed to launch the new vacation rental business, the leader of that project left to take a job with Hilton, instead of staying to run that exciting new venture at Choice.

- Global Sales... ugh, what to say about it. Just stay away. They've put so many people through the woodchipper over there... from analysts to VPs. That place must be haunted.

- Constant turnover. In the last year or so, several SVPs have been axed or left (including the CFO). Obviously, even more so at lower levels in the company. This constant herky-jerky lowers employee morale and interrupts the real work.

Choice has a tough road ahead. As many other industries in the last 10-15 years, the hospitality industry has begun to consolidate. Choice has made huge bets on new lines of business (entering a new market segment with Cambria and Ascend; SkyTouch; the vacation rental business) but its market share has not gained. Cambria/Ascend are working out OK, although much slower than projected, SkyTouch is a disaster, and the VR business remains to be seen but I suspect will be very difficult to gain market share against established machines like Airbnb, Homeaway, Booking, Wyndham or Hilton.

Meanwhile, competitors have begun to attach the select-service segment with new brands like Tru, AC Hotels, Element... directly competing with Choice's core brands (Comfort, Quality, Sleep). I think this is going to put a lot of pressure on Choice to perform against those brands backed by Hilton, Marriott, IHG--and you may see franchisees start to jump ship. Personally, I don't see Choice surviving as a stand-alone company more than 5 or 6 years.

Overall, it's not a terrible place to work for a year or two, learn something, and move on to something better. There are 2 or 3 tight power circles in the company. If you're in those, you're OK; if not, watch your back.

Advice to Management

Look for the right opportunity to sell the company. Seriously. Your responsibility should be to maximize returns to shareholders, and that is the best way to respond to the threats you face as a company.

Move to a true meritocracy. Eliminate blatant favoritism. You know what I'm talking about.

Also, as others have mentioned, pick a path and stick to it. Don't change directions, fire leaders, or churn entire teams on an annual basis. You can't do anything like that.

May 3, 2017

Thank you for your very thorough review of your employment experience. At Choice, our people matter – and we go to great lengths to continuously obtain feedback about how we’re doing through... More

"Ok for short term"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Choice Hotels as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good technologies to work on, Company invested a lot in new platform, so there is a lot of good opportunities to learn.
    Company celebrates small achievements so its fun to work and enjoy. Normally good work life balance until unless you are under some critical project.
    Free soft drinks.
    New Idea's and innovation is encouraged by higher management.
    Sr. Management is nice and very friendly , You will get to work few nice and talented colleagues too.

Cons

Medical insurance is having only one high deductible plan.

Certain Directors/Sr. Manger prefer employees of certain race or community , in front of me all the recruitment happen in last 1 year under one director are from certain language or race (Except one or 2 cases) , Which is killing the organization environment and culture you can see all over the floor people are talking in a certain language and other people who don;t understand that language sounds stupid ( No offence to any language , but we should talk in a professional manner so that everyone can understand).
     Even technical discussions happen in same language so if you are from different language background or English background you will loose the context. Most of the tech leads (Except me or few more) are from same background and they keep encouraging this culture and keep talking in team meeting in same language, which only those people understand.

If you are a contractor coming from same language background certainly you will be hired full time soon , so join fearlessly, but if you are from different language then there are less chances of you lasting more than couple of months.

If Management can retain good talented people , certainly it is a good company to work for.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on your Directors or Sr. Managers that how they are building their team with their own people totally based on relations.

"Be very careful if you work for Global Sales"

Pros

Paid fairly for job that I had.

Cons

constant turnover in Global Sales department, lots of people in charge that never worked for a hotel so their depth of understanding is minimual

Advice to Management

Look closely at how many leaders are being fired on the Global Sales end.

May 3, 2017

Thank you for your feedback and acknowledging our total rewards program; as we market price all positions here at Choice. We will be sure to share your thoughts regarding our global sales... More