Choice Hotels Reviews | Glassdoor

Choice Hotels CEO Patrick Pacious
Patrick Pacious

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No benefits unless you are management (in 20 reviews)

• work/life balance is a little tough (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Good place"

Former Employee - Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Analyst in Rockville, MD

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Choice was a good place to work. Great people and collaborative environment. You get to travel to their Phoenix office, which is nice.

Cons

Commute in that area is tough.

Aug 11, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator, Recruiting

We’re happy to hear you had an excellent experience at our Rockville office. The commute can indeed be tough in the DMV area, which is why we are located directly next to a DC metro station- and why... More

2. "Front Desk"

I worked at Choice Hotels part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good environment and clean area

Cons

There arent any cons with working here.

Advice to Management

Better pay

"Solid Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time

Pros

Choice Hotels is a solid company. It's constantly pushing to grow the business. They have a strong HR department that plans company events and a good matching program when it comes to your 401K. In general, it's run well. Still mainly male in the C-suite though. It's definitely a demanding corporate environment, but with a general friendly atmosphere.

Cons

They are constantly restructuring and having layoffs. They don't promote people, even when they are performing well, and therefore they ultimately leave for other opportunities, which ultimately costs the company. They work in silos and departments don't share information with each other, which also hurts the business. Part of this is a structural issue, part of this is probably endemic at any large company, and part of it is human nature. Very political atmosphere. They are risk averse when it comes to marketing innovation, yet they pride themselves on being innovative. Too much empahsis on driving bookings vs. long term thinking about brand building. Leadership lacks vision and creativity and has a myopic view on driving revenue in the short term. They are innovative in many ways, but conservative in general. It's a solid company with good people, but environment is changing and has lost it's sense of congeniality.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. Look at your senior leadership and pay attention to the employee reviews. Stop ignoring the results when certain leaders are called out as being awful to work with- that is actually an indicator that they are causing more damage to the company than is evident on the surface. People are very good at managing up in this company, and unfortunately not very good at managing below them and creating career paths for people.

4. "Highly recommend"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Sheridan, WY
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Sheridan, WY

I worked at Choice Hotels (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely loved working for Choice Hotels. My manager and staff were friendly, and we really got along like a family. Hours were flexible, and there was always opportunity for a raise.

Cons

So when I worked there I was confronted with quite a few problems on the booking site. For example the booking site was not compatible with newer system software updates and created many problems in the booking Process.

Also, I would like to add that on the training site some of the training material wouldn't load (I have tried on multiple computers including my personal device to be sure of this). I invested a lot of time into the training program, but was saddened

Advice to Management

I loved working for this company if I could give any advice it would be to keep listening to you're employees and guest reviews.

some compatibility updates may be in order if they haven't been done already.

Sep 18, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator, Recruiting

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your employment experience at one of our franchised hotels. As a franchisor, Choice Hotels International does not own or operate hotels franchised... More

5. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Middleboro, MA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Middleboro, MA

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the atmosphere it's a very fast pace workplace, you get to meet people from around the world.

Cons

None, you should love the work you do. Helping people is hospitality, making sure you meet all of their needs is super satisfying.

Advice to Management

Keep doing an excellent job!

Sep 18, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator, Recruiting

6. "Politics in Management"

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time

Pros

Good work, latest technologies, good benefits

Cons

not much scope in career development, management politics

7. "Awesome Discounts"

Current Employee - Night Auditor/Front Desk Agent in Bemidji, MN
    Current Employee - Night Auditor/Front Desk Agent in Bemidji, MN

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount is for all employee's of any Choice Hotel Brand and the rate is decided by the hotel, but it will NEVER be more than $55 a night at any Choice Hotel. All Choice Hotel's are supposed to allot 2 rooms for employees, but can rent the rooms out if need be.

Cons

Benefit's are terrible. They are decided by the owner of the hotel. Not Choice Hotel International.

Advice to Management

Offer employee's benefit's even if most or all comes out of employee's pay. At least give the option.

8. "Great place to grow"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time

Pros

I've worked for some pretty horrible, old-school organizations. This is not one of them. It's a breath of fresh air.
    - good vacation time
    - friendly coworkers and open culture
    - open to telework (if your manager is open to it)
    - easy to move between departments and learn more/take on more responsibility, if you are self-directed and motivated
    - your peers and leaders actually appreciate your work, thank you for it, and congratulate you when you've done a good job.

Cons

- work/life balance is a little tough. Most people work late. But a lot of the time, it's because we want to be doing what we're doing, not because we have to do it.
    - health plan isn't the best.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - have an open mind, and talented people will continue to join the company and help it innovate and grow.

"Agile and self-aware"

Current Employee - Technology Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Technology Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The leadership is smart, and not afraid of change. They are aware of what makes the team happy and keeps them ticking, and is not afraid to award them of that.

Cons

PTO policy is a little wonky. They still live by the old school mentality, of a bucket for sick days, a bucket for personal time, and PTO bucket, and you cant call upon different buckets if you are out of one, which is antiquated; time off should just be a bucket to spend however the employee see's fit.

Advice to Management

Change the PTO policy.

10. "Got purple hair? Got tattoos? No degree? Don't care about work/life balance? Come on down to Choice!"

Current Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hotel discount. Management provides many opportunities to learn about different areas in the company. Wide variety of employee resource groups to help you navigate your career.

Cons

Management that doesn't live the values. Some people are just dicks. Pay that isn't always on par with similar organizations.

Advice to Management

Stop overworking your employees. Showing a video about Work/Life balance or emailing your staff an anecdote about WL Balance, does NOT mean your doing something about it.

Aug 28, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. At Choice we go to great lengths to embrace diversity and inclusion, and we are particularly proud of our numerous employee resources groups that you have mentioned. They... More