Choice Hotels Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No benefits unless you are management (in 21 reviews)

• work/life balance is a little tough (in 8 reviews)

1. "Night Auditor/Front Desk/Cook"

Current Employee - Night Auditor/Front Desk Agent in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Night Auditor/Front Desk Agent in Portland, OR

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A job that pays the bills

Career advancement through corporate

Minimum wage guaranteed

Cons

No benefits

No insurance

No Retirement plan

No vacation paid

No chance for career advancement at this specific location

When requesting time off, you must find your own coverage among the other 4 front desk folks.

Change of your schedule without notice

Advice to Management

Your employees are human beings and they have a life outside your hotel

Nov 15, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator, Recruiting

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your employment experience at one of our franchised hotels. As a franchisor, Choice Hotels International does not own or operate hotels franchised... More

2. "Reception"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Sumter, SC
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Sumter, SC

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy meeting the new people on daily basis

Cons

Some times there are ride customers

3. "Auditor"

Former Employee - Night Auditor in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Night Auditor in Hayward, CA

I worked at Choice Hotels part-time (More than a year)

Pros

has market share, visible properties

Cons

small hotels, too many sub brands

Advice to Management

better sop and audit

Nov 15, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator, Recruiting

"Not a great place to work."

Current Employee - IT Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not many. On a day-to-day basis, most of the teams can do what they do best, deliver on their projects. You get to sit next to your friends, for the most part. That’s a pro. Most people are pretty friendly and approachable. Oh yeah, you get to stay at their hotels for a discount.

Cons

Salaries not competitive. HR is awful and non-existent to most of the organization. Very ambiguous culture. Whenever big news occurs, the associates are already well aware of the changes. Communication between executive leadership and the associates is awful and current engagement scores reflect that. Ambiguity is very rampant at Choice and no one takes control and addresses key concerns and issues brought up by the associates. The previous ‘guy in charge’ was checked out the past 2-3 years and the ‘new guy in charge’ hasn’t done anything for a year except a recent, long-overdue reorg and seems to only be interested in budget responsibilities and bringing up his low engagement scores. The executive leadership team does not work well together and appears to only be looking out for their own areas of responsibility and trying to please the new guy in charge as best they can. Attrition is at an all-time high and I feel like I still see resignations at least once a week. No short or long-term vision is shared from leadership and they are afraid of addressing the ‘heavy questions.’ How is EDGE rolling back into the rest of IT? Are we embracing agile or another method of software delivery? Why did we have an IT Strategy leader that knows nothing about IT?

Advice to Management

Remember that your associates got this company to where it was 2-4 years ago. They wanted to be successful in their work, which made you successful. Start caring, really caring, again and watch how everything gets better.

5. "Horrible Experience"

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time

Pros

There were none that I could think of...

Cons

They work out side deals with taxi drivers to cheat marines out of their money due to the high volume of marines in town and I was let go for being hospitalized due to a miscarriage no consideration at all worst experience with a job ever!!!

"Solid Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time

Pros

Choice Hotels is a solid company. It's constantly pushing to grow the business. They have a strong HR department that plans company events and a good matching program when it comes to your 401K. In general, it's run well. Still mainly male in the C-suite though. It's definitely a demanding corporate environment, but with a general friendly atmosphere.

Cons

They are constantly restructuring and having layoffs. They don't promote people, even when they are performing well, and therefore they ultimately leave for other opportunities, which ultimately costs the company. They work in silos and departments don't share information with each other, which also hurts the business. Part of this is a structural issue, part of this is probably endemic at any large company, and part of it is human nature. Very political atmosphere. They are risk averse when it comes to marketing innovation, yet they pride themselves on being innovative. Too much empahsis on driving bookings vs. long term thinking about brand building. Leadership lacks vision and creativity and has a myopic view on driving revenue in the short term. They are innovative in many ways, but conservative in general. It's a solid company with good people, but environment is changing and has lost it's sense of congeniality.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. Look at your senior leadership and pay attention to the employee reviews. Stop ignoring the results when certain leaders are called out as being awful to work with- that is actually an indicator that they are causing more damage to the company than is evident on the surface. People are very good at managing up in this company, and unfortunately not very good at managing below them and creating career paths for people.

7. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Director in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Choice really invest in their talent and seeks to promote from within.

Cons

The current building does not have a cafeteria.

8. "Didnt Care for the owner of"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots to do on daily tasks, checking rooms, checking customer in, inventory, long hours in the summer months with lots of OT, staying up with the standards of the hotel, working with co works to ensure guests are happy.

Cons

Didn't care for the Owner I worked for, he demanded I wear make up and when I didn't he pushed me off the front desk and into the back office. (I always came to work looking very professional) more than a few times I was told to wear make up off camera.

9. "Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time

Pros

Some of the people you meet are good

Cons

Lots of politics and favoritism. Frequent layoffs. You will not be promoted if you are not a part of an inner circle. Overall, not a good place to work.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to results of Employee Engagement survey

10. "I love it here!"

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time

Pros

Great culture. Lovely office. Lean structure.

Cons

The health plan could be better.