Christensen Farms Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good and bad"

Current Employee - Animal Caretaker in Kansas, IL
    Current Employee - Animal Caretaker in Kansas, IL

I have been working at Christensen Farms full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Days off during the week, schedule works well with family, great managers and people, pay is good for farm workers

Cons

Upper management don't care about employees or managers opinions or life. Pay is horrible for farm managers

Advice to Management

Pay better for management and stop changing things that will affect employees life in a bad wau

2. "Animal Care taker"

Former Employee - Animal Caregiver in Sleepy Eye, MN
    Former Employee - Animal Caregiver in Sleepy Eye, MN

I worked at Christensen Farms full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits has decent pay

Cons

Very poor management, don't care about you either.

3. "Payroll and Benefits manager"

Former Employee - Payroll and Benefits Manager in Sleepy Eye, MN
    Former Employee - Payroll and Benefits Manager in Sleepy Eye, MN

I worked at Christensen Farms full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Allowed to contribute and improve processes

Cons

Too many work hours due to lack of staff in other departments

4. "An experience that I will never forget."

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Sleepy Eye, MN
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Sleepy Eye, MN

Pros

This company will challenge you to collarborate in a much different manner. There is.a trade off between normal everyday mission critical activities and proactive process improvement.

Cons

Production is the main focus and catalyst. It is humbling thought to understand how large the production input costs are vs any other considerations.

Advice to Management

Do not underestimate the value of job satisfaction

5. "Herds person"

Current Employee - Herds Person in Renville, MN
    Current Employee - Herds Person in Renville, MN

I have been working at Christensen Farms full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

40hrs a week. Some times you get a monthly bonus. 1/2 a hog for Christmas

Cons

Work every other weekend and every other holiday.

Advice to Management

Set schedule... I have a kid and my manager makes me feel terrible when I need time off for my daughter.

"Hear dispersion"

Current Employee - Heardsperson in Iowa Falls, IA
    Current Employee - Heardsperson in Iowa Falls, IA

I have been working at Christensen Farms full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay rate, the fact that they aren't salary and also the benefits are some what okay to have at this job.

Cons

The people never listen to you. No matter what position your in nobody wants to hear anything. Your personal life gets out more then anything. A lot of conflicts with managers getting their way. Some employees are getting away with a lot of things because they are good friends with the managers while the rest get the short end of the stick. The long hours are terrible. It wouldn't be so bad every once and awhile but everyday it's terrible. They never give pay raises to save your life. It's so hard to work up in the company. They're more worried about their own pockets then yours. It's backwards here. You do the job you make less then anyone else (even ladies who sit in an office all day). Heardspeople aren't supposed to do many performances but the managers are lazy and make you do them anyway. They don't care about your life or home or family outside of work.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your people who are actually doing the physical work in the barns not the people driving around going to McDonalds or Casey's all day every day!

7. "Don't make complaints."

Former Employee - Farrower in Weldon, IA
    Former Employee - Farrower in Weldon, IA

I worked at Christensen Farms full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with animals is always a plus, I also had many wonderful co-workers and I liked how the TOB system worked.

Cons

Many things that employees complain about are swept under the rug. Things from animal welfare to employee disagreements. When a person makes an official complaint, they are pressured into quitting. There is no chance of anyone working their way up the ladder in this area unless they have personal connections to the service manager or senior service manager. Most people who get the opportunity to move up the ladder are hired in from PSF. If a farm is unsuccessful the company fails to give other people an opportunity to prove themselves in different possible positions. The farm where I worked, the farrowing lead is very good at telling people that they don't amount to anything and also good at making it sound like he is a hard worker, including making up stories about catching other farrowers "just standing around." He is also responsible for sows not being taken care of properly, but the only investigation into this was to ask him, not his assistants, and then tell the assistants that he wasn't doing that. Most of these complaints are never looked into thoroughly. HR usually just relies on the manager to investigate but the investigation is not usually done properly and then it is all chalked up to "a misunderstanding."

Advice to Management

Keep in touch with the lowest part of the chain. The people who have no rank have nothing to lose when they are honest. My manager told me that I shouldn't believe what my co-workers were telling me, but he expected me to believe what the farrowing lead was telling him. I was the one who was expected to work with him on a daily basis and what makes the farrowing lead any more honest that the farrowing assistants or attendants?

8. "Not great if you want Personal Life private.."

I worked at Christensen Farms full-time

Pros

Benefits are Okay but that is all that it was for this company. Some of the people were great as well.

Cons

Once you refuse to divulge any information about your personal life they need to find ways to get rid of you. They are not Family Friendly unless you do as they say.

Advice to Management

Keep Private and Personal Lives private. Employees should not have to give personal life details and when they do not they should not be punished for it!

9. "Frustrating place to work."

Former Employee - Administrative in Sleepy Eye, MN
    Former Employee - Administrative in Sleepy Eye, MN

I worked at Christensen Farms full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Average pay for the area, good insurance, nice office - needs a little updating and better layout, most departments are flexible for personal time or PTO.

Cons

Employees are given more work than can be done in 40 hr work week. In order to keep up you will have to come in early, stay late or work from home. To work a little extra now and then would be fine but not all of the time. Also, very high turn over.

10. "Good place to work in the pork industry"

Pros

Scope of the Company and position in the industry

Cons

Very little formal development. The company has no plan or strategy to do so

Advice to Management

Create a more open environment