Christian Reformed Church Reviews | Glassdoor

Christian Reformed Church Reviews

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gerard Dykstra
1 Rating

"Not my idea of "Christian""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Christian Reformed Church full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay was good. Most of the people were nice. Vacation time was good. Working with overseas programs was interesting.

Cons

Where do I start? First, my idea of "Christian" would include fair and honest. The international staff handbook showed how unfair it is. They get company paid: housing, children's education, company car, family travel and (on top of all that) MONTHS of 100% severance pay -- just to name a few of their perks. U.S. staff doesn't even get unemployment because churches don't have to pay into the Michigan system.
    When there are changes coming, managenent lied about it with the excuse that the details haven't been worked out.- especially when they changed the medical insurance benefits.

Advice to Management

They should really look at the special treatment of sub-groups. Supervisors are in serious need of training. The entire system really needs to be evaluated.

"Good Salary - little stability"

Former Employee - Management in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Management in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Christian Reformed Church full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fair compensation. Individuals are committed to mission. For the most part it is a good place to work for.

Cons

I've seen very good people in high positions be let go with absolutely no warning. This organization recognizes that it is dying but it continues to use the same default methods that produce no good results.

Advice to Management

Stope thinking about your base and begin to consider the future.

"An organization in transition without much room for advancement"

I have been working at Christian Reformed Church full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The schedule is flexible providing a good work-life balance. There are great people that make it a pleasure to come to work.

In my experience, the CRC is like many non-profits. You'll have to do the job of several people but it allows you to gain lots of experience.

Benefits are fairly good. The best is a generous 401k plan. Pay is fair for non-profits but low compared to the corporate world. Vacation time is good, too.

Cons

The biggest issues are a lack of vision, no leadership training and no real advancement opportunities. There are lots of people who have been stuck in the same role for a long time. There is little effort to find ways to help people move up and that leads to a stagnant environment. The pay follows the same line. The CRC uses a system that leaves no room for performance raises even if you've done a good job.

"Proceed with caution"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Meaningful work
    Get to meet people from all over the world
    Lots of flexibility
    Compensation has improved in the past few years

Cons

Uniquely challenging culture
    Little or no room for growth
    There is a great deal of uncertainty right now at the upper levels of leadership, and it's hard to tell what things will look like here once the dust has settled

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees
    Provide opportunities for growth; figure out a way for the non-ordained to have a meaningful career

"Proceed with caution!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Feeling like you are doing work that is meaningful. Feeling like you are part of something larger than yourself. Working for God, so to speak.

Cons

Frustration with management (or lack thereof). (I'm speaking more specifically of my particular agency; I think the upper levels of management seem to be competent.)

Also, the "best" above becomes the thing that makes it so much more difficult when things are NOT good. It's easy to become frustrated/burned out.

Benefits are good--no yearly deductible on medical, but the 25% co-pay can add up over time. I've paid a lot out of pocket this year. (speaking for the US side of our offices; there is also a Canadian office.)

Advice to Management

Offer a clear path for advancement. Be aware of what is not working within different departments.