Christie's Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Christie's CEO Guillaume Cerutti
Guillaume Cerutti

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You sure do learn a lot about the office system and auction process (in 14 reviews)

• Get access to the art world from the top and I was allowed to change the department after two months (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little emphasis on work-life balance (in 12 reviews)

• You can work long hours but it's worth it (in 20 reviews)

1. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Christie's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with intelligent and wonderful people in a dynamic and well-respected space in the art world.

Cons

Upward mobility is often difficult in such a large and bureaucratic organization.

Advice to Management

HR needs to be more connected to the work that Christie's does and understand its challenges.

Nov 7, 2017 – Department Coordinator

Dear Glassdoor Member, thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We are continuing to develop a robust career path framework and provide clarity to our employees on their future... More

2. "..."

I have been working at Christie's full-time

Pros

incredibly intelligent colleagues
    enthusiastic and passionate group
    great health care plan
    matching up to 5% in 401K

Cons

pay
    upper management very entitled

Nov 28, 2017 – Department Coordinator

As a current employee, we thank you for providing your positive thoughts on your colleagues and will take your feedback into consideration. Best regards, Christie's HR.

3. "Christie's"

I have been working at Christie's full-time

Pros

Art viewings, friendly and passionate staff

Cons

Technology is old, Training very basic and poor

Advice to Management

Promote a culture of belonging and training!

Nov 28, 2017 – Department Coordinator

We are always happy to hear from our current employees! We are very sorry to hear from your experiences but we have recently spent a substantial amount of money on new IT Systems and beginning... More

4. "Not bad if you like overtime/prestige and don't mind being neglected"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Christie's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Prestigious: great art, top talent, and top firm in the business. Working here can feel like a privilege (which is also a con, since it means more people willing to work for less money/respect)
    - Interesting: constant flow of property in and out of the building keeps things exciting, especially if you are trained in Art History
    - Benefits: gym, healthcare, museum passes, transportation, 401k, long winter vacation, the works
    - Lots of overtime: depends on the position of course, but overtime is quite common and an unusually high percentage of employees are paid hourly

Cons

- Low pay: as every reviewer mentions, the pay is quite low, especially if you don't have much/any overtime.
    - Little room for growth: intense competition for few openings. Lateral moves are extremely common, when available
    - Neglect: unless you are a rainmaker in one of the top revenue-generating departments, the company does not seem to pay much attention (or salary) to you
    - Highly stratified: lower-level employees tend to be treated quite poorly, while higher-level employees are often not held to appropriate standards (if they have important clients). A few powerful people set the agenda, while everyone else has to accommodate them. Can feel nepotistic and overtly political.
    - Toxic culture: while the camaraderie can be great, the environment is very stressful around deadlines and not everyone handles it well. Seeing coworkers cry on the job is not uncommon.

Advice to Management

Pay more respect to the lower-level staff. If the company doesn't meet earnings targets to give out bonuses, yet pays bonuses to the top execs anyway, people are bound to be upset. Coordinator turnover is so high because they are criminally overworked and under-paid. Spend more on training/development and less on cutting deals with clients / throwing parties.

Nov 14, 2017 – Department Coordinator

Dear Glassdoor member, thank you for leaving us a review - it's great to receive positive feedback from former employees. We are continually reviewing areas of improvement within the business, which... More

5. "Business Development"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Christie's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The ability to see great art and the inner workings of a mega art auction house.

Cons

I found it difficult to move up from an entry level position.

Sep 25, 2017 – Department Coordinator

Dear Glassdoor Member, thank you for leaving your positive feedback. Regarding your concerns, we have identified a need for more structure and therefore have created a career path framework. Regards... More

6. "Client Management Coordinator"

I have been working at Christie's full-time

Pros

A lot of really great, smart people, working up close with art and objects.

Cons

Poor management, low compensation, extremely long hours and high expectations for little return

Advice to Management

There needs to be more support of staff. Top business getters are treated like stars while others have to work sometimes 100+ hour weeks with little acknowledgment or encouragement. That is why there is such high turnover at the lower levels.

Oct 17, 2017 – Department Coordinator

As a current employee we are happy to hear your feedback. However, Christie’s is a seasonal company where volumes of workload will vary. If you still wish to speak to someone about your concerns... More

"The people make the business"

Former Employee - Administrator
    Former Employee - Administrator

I worked at Christie's full-time

Pros

It was exciting to represent a high profile brand with a glamorous reputation. If you seek it out, you can quickly gain an in depth understanding of the auction world from the worlds best specialists in their field.

Cons

The salaries are not competitive and employees in specialist departments are not given compensation for overtime, which can be very taxing during auction deadlines.

Very little guidance on career progression and lack of training, highlight the companies unwillingness to invest in their people. They would sooner pay double to recruit externally then to nurture and train their own internal talent.

Advice to Management

Don't mistake your employees loyalty to one another as loyalty to the company, they will sooner or later realize the company does not have their interests at heart and move on.

8. "Visitor Assistant"

I worked at Christie's part-time

Pros

Flexible scheduling, kind colleagues, easy to work with, wonderful supervisors.

Cons

Not very stimulating, support positions can be very boring.

9. "Gallery Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Christie's part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Environment and Co-workers, with Christie's I have had the best learning experience. As one of the leading art auction houses, we are able to see the best artwork available from very top artists. I have also had the opportunity to work with the most talented specialists in the art-world and have secured friendships with so many kind and brilliant co-workers.

Cons

A large company with many locations that must be intricately managed. At times a difficult task to co-ordinate and work with all staff, clients and lots.

Advice to Management

To show patience and give priority to all staff levels.

Aug 17, 2017 – Department Coordinator

As a current employee we are happy to hear your feedback. Your comments will be discussed and taken seriously. Regards, Christie's HR.

"Not worth it - employees fear for their jobs"

I worked at Christie's full-time

Pros

Exposure to art masterpieces, many colleagues are dedicated and knowledgable.

Cons

There are employees working extreme hours for fear of losing their jobs. Several layoffs have occurred in the past year. Employees are often times belittled, verbally abused and threatened by managers - and are afraid to say anything. If you are looking for a high-stress job with little room for growth, this is for you.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a deep dive into how departments are being managed on a day to day basis. Why there is such low morale.

Sep 14, 2017 – Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for highlighting Christie's staff as dedicated and knowledgeable - we do believe that our staff demonstrate deep knowledge, passion and expertise for their given category.

We take any... More