Christopher & Banks Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Joel Waller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management would not listen to suggestions or listen to our complaints about the managment (in 30 reviews)

• Always pushing to sell credit cards, prices going up (in 19 reviews)

1. "Great co-workers"

I worked at Christopher & Banks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the ability and freedom to put clothe options together.

Cons

Constantly changing price points on items.

Advice to Management

Stay consistent!

2. "Enjoyed it"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Christopher & Banks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment and nice people to work with.

Cons

Not a lot of hours available.

3. "Full Time Assistant Store Manager"

Current Employee - Multi-Unit Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Multi-Unit Assistant Manager

I have been working at Christopher & Banks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very different work environment than other retailers. You can learn much from the different target market that shops there.

Cons

Very micro managed. When asked for growth opportunities, management said that they needed me to stay in my current position, when my experience and education outweighed the current position.

Advice to Management

Be more open to growing your employees and allowing them to advance when they are ready. Maybe back away from the micro management and focus on big picture objectives.

4. "Stay Away!"

I worked at Christopher & Banks full-time

Pros

summer hours were really nice

Cons

too political, too much sucking-up, leadership is not stable at all and don't work together as leaders (some really big heads), business model changes too much

Advice to Management

find a president that believes in the business and works with people. Not one with a huge ego that loves to belittle and be in total control

5. "Retail merchandiser customer service rep."

I worked at Christopher & Banks full-time

Pros

Great company very fair management team

Cons

Not enough hours to make a living

"Spreading rumors"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Beavercreek, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Beavercreek, OH

I worked at Christopher & Banks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing I can think of

Cons

Everyone gossips.I went into the store 4 months after I quit and was informed that I was fired for stealing, drinking on the the job, and being a general nuisance, none of which was true. But everyone I saw treated it like gospel. I hadn't even worked with any of them. What does that mean for the people I worked with. I loved the clothes, but I'll be telling everyone I know not to shop there if that's how they're going to treat people.

Advice to Management

Rein in your people. Explain to them that no former employee is fodder for gossip. The only thing that should be said is "they no longer work here"

7. "Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Christopher & Banks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good discount and friendly customers

Cons

They push credit and and want you to capitalize on every sale. They don't give raises. They have way too many promo changes. They don't care about their employees at all

Advice to Management

Just close. Turnover is high

"Sinking ship"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Christopher & Banks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing, this company could not be more unstable.

Cons

No accountability for store manager, so they can get off doing the bare minimum or less; every single person within the company is passive-aggressive and has no real sense of direction.

Stand-in CEO doesn't seem to understand what is going on in the stores, and often schedules promo changes without warning in the middle of the shopping day. Refuses to give raises, instead wastes money on flop-events, which usually result in stores giving away thousands of dollars of merchandise a day.

Clearance in the outlets has been rotated out for years; any sane company would donate it and take the tax cut, but C&B will let something sit in their clearance section for *years* instead. Recently took away 60% dress incentive due to lack of merchandise, which is discouraging to employees. We're expected to work harder, longer days, with no actual incentive for it. Many times I've been scheduled anywhere from 8 - 12 hours with no break or even a second person with me, and DMs and HR refuse to do anything about it.

High credit card goals are set, yet the company fails to realize that nobody wants a credit card for a company they've never heard of because C&B barely puts out for ads. Company repeatedly expects associates & managers to promote the brand and events outside of work and off the clock.

No security systems or cameras. If you're a manager, you will probably work alone more often than not. Often times managers are expected to process freight, answer the phone, ring sales, and provide top-notch customer service all at the same time because we're always alone.

Hard to find help because the pay is so low, and part time associate hours are laughable. No room for advancement. Thousands of units of clothing get shipped to the outlets for massive clearance sales because the mall stores are not doing well, either. Customers are extremely entitled and always want more and more.

You get burnt out very quickly with retail, but especially so when you know the company you work for doesn't care about you at all.

Advice to Management

Needs a complete overhaul, from the CEO all the way down to the DMs. Nobody does their job unless a fire is under them, and then the only moves they know how to make are micro-managing slaps on the face to store-level employees. Maybe if you gave your employees the raises they've been waiting years for, they'd be more willing to put in the effort.

"Great Discount!"

Current Employee - Sales Associaate in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associaate in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Christopher & Banks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee discount! 50 - 60 % off clothing.

Cons

The manager as well as 2 assistant managers left the organization in the past 3 months. I really enjoyed working with the 3 managers.

The new manager does not honor the original agreement regarding the sales associates roles and responsibilities. As a sales associate, we are now expected to clean the toilets, microwave and fridge. I do not use any of these amenities while I am working.

Also, we went from a monthly schedule to a weekly schedule. This does not allow the employee to know if they can plan to their personal life.

Wages are minimum wage - with lousy hours. With the previous manager, we would be scheduled for 4 - 5 hours - to make it worth coming in. We are now scheduled to work 3 hours at a time - with the Saturday night shift (6 - 9).

Don't bother apply here - to many changes with this organization.

"Good retail job"

I worked at Christopher & Banks part-time

Pros

great discount, nice product, good customer base

Cons

low pay and floor/sign changes left to one person with little notice at times