Christopher & Banks Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 1, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management would not listen to suggestions or listen to our complaints about the managment (in 30 reviews)

• Always pushing to sell credit cards, prices going up (in 19 reviews)

"Sinking ship"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Christopher & Banks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing, this company could not be more unstable.

Cons

No accountability for store manager, so they can get off doing the bare minimum or less; every single person within the company is passive-aggressive and has no real sense of direction.

Stand-in CEO doesn't seem to understand what is going on in the stores, and often schedules promo changes without warning in the middle of the shopping day. Refuses to give raises, instead wastes money on flop-events, which usually result in stores giving away thousands of dollars of merchandise a day.

Clearance in the outlets has been rotated out for years; any sane company would donate it and take the tax cut, but C&B will let something sit in their clearance section for *years* instead. Recently took away 60% dress incentive due to lack of merchandise, which is discouraging to employees. We're expected to work harder, longer days, with no actual incentive for it. Many times I've been scheduled anywhere from 8 - 12 hours with no break or even a second person with me, and DMs and HR refuse to do anything about it.

High credit card goals are set, yet the company fails to realize that nobody wants a credit card for a company they've never heard of because C&B barely puts out for ads. Company repeatedly expects associates & managers to promote the brand and events outside of work and off the clock.

No security systems or cameras. If you're a manager, you will probably work alone more often than not. Often times managers are expected to process freight, answer the phone, ring sales, and provide top-notch customer service all at the same time because we're always alone.

Hard to find help because the pay is so low, and part time associate hours are laughable. No room for advancement. Thousands of units of clothing get shipped to the outlets for massive clearance sales because the mall stores are not doing well, either. Customers are extremely entitled and always want more and more.

You get burnt out very quickly with retail, but especially so when you know the company you work for doesn't care about you at all.

Advice to Management

Needs a complete overhaul, from the CEO all the way down to the DMs. Nobody does their job unless a fire is under them, and then the only moves they know how to make are micro-managing slaps on the face to store-level employees. Maybe if you gave your employees the raises they've been waiting years for, they'd be more willing to put in the effort.

"Great Discount!"

Current Employee - Sales Associaate in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associaate in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Christopher & Banks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee discount! 50 - 60 % off clothing.

Cons

The manager as well as 2 assistant managers left the organization in the past 3 months. I really enjoyed working with the 3 managers.

The new manager does not honor the original agreement regarding the sales associates roles and responsibilities. As a sales associate, we are now expected to clean the toilets, microwave and fridge. I do not use any of these amenities while I am working.

Also, we went from a monthly schedule to a weekly schedule. This does not allow the employee to know if they can plan to their personal life.

Wages are minimum wage - with lousy hours. With the previous manager, we would be scheduled for 4 - 5 hours - to make it worth coming in. We are now scheduled to work 3 hours at a time - with the Saturday night shift (6 - 9).

Don't bother apply here - to many changes with this organization.

"Good retail job"

I worked at Christopher & Banks part-time

Pros

great discount, nice product, good customer base

Cons

low pay and floor/sign changes left to one person with little notice at times

"Good if you are just working for discount"

I worked at Christopher & Banks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hefty employee discount is an incentive to work there

Cons

Low pay, no set schedule, schedule changes frequently without notification, and you can't be assured of getting the hours you need. Requires employees to push customers to apply for credit card.

Advice to Management

Try to adhere to employees' schedule requests -- most of us have other commitments outside of this;
    Don't ask / require us to hand out your marketing material on our own time with our own resources -- you have a marketing department -- don't expect your low-wage employees to do that work for free

"Heart"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Piqua, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Piqua, OH

I have been working at Christopher & Banks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The ladies I work with really have heart. We actually have relationships with our customers (friends).

Cons

There are way too many Promo changes, gets confusing to our customers and frustrating to associates. Company plays on the fact that it's associates have big hearts and care about what they do. Company takes advantage of good people.

Advice to Management

Listen to people on the front lines, we are the ones in direct contact with your customers.

"It's an OK part time job, but very low pay"

Pros

Love the clothing, good employee discounts & it holds up well. Like the location & the clientele, and coworkers are all pretty nice and friendly.

Cons

High expectations for very low hourly pay and lots of working by yourself. Very little encouragement from upper management. Constantly changing floor plans and pricing; which is difficult to do while helping customers. Do not feel appreciated as an employee.

Advice to Management

Encourage your hourly employees; a little "you are doing a great job" goes a long way! Be more positive

"Meh"

I worked at Christopher & Banks full-time

Pros

Good pay, easy access to HR

Cons

They aren't really sure where they are going or how they are going to get there. Alot of turnover at the management level.

8. "Store Manager"

Pros

Great Leadership, great training programs

Cons

No a lot of opportunity for advancement

Advice to Management

Look for the best DM's as they are the key players to keeping stores moving ahead.

9. "improvement"

Current Employee - Eve Assistant Manager in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - Eve Assistant Manager in Duluth, MN

I have been working at Christopher & Banks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

new faces, new district manager working with store manager to improve things overall. it is not an easy job but the rewards are more than the employee dress discount of 60%. Very helpful in scheduling my recent orthopedic surgery.

Cons

more computerized functions keep on coming, customers would like to see dresses.

Advice to Management

Work with our district manager to increase hours alotted and with all the local stores closing we can capture that business. Hospitals have upgraded their dress codes and we are the fortunate beneficiaries of that.

"Great discount"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Christopher & Banks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great, generous discounts
    Pleasant work environment
    There is a new CEO, who may bring about many positive changes.

Cons

Poor pay, which may be typical of jobs in retail
    No chance for a raise until after a year of employment
    The schedule can be frustrating.
    I loved the people I worked with-both staff and customers. However, being scheduled when I was unavailable proved to be frustrating, especially when I had made my availability or lack thereof crystal clear well in advance of the schedule being made.

Advice to Management

The mindful of all employees availability when scheduling
    Find ways to build up and encourage your team