ChromaDex Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 14, 2019

3.2
Robert Fried

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Ground Breaking Research in Anti-aging"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at ChromaDex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

On the forefront of innovative research with regards to anti-aging products

Cons

Fast paced and growing. Not all processes and procedures are in place. This can be a pro and a con. If you are the type of person looking for a challenge and want to help mold the company as it grows this is a PRO. If you are looking for the status quo and just looking to maintain...Not the company for you.

"An old startup culture"

I have been working at ChromaDex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people, decent work/life balance, good office.

Cons

Too many chiefs and not enough people getting work done. Not enough structure and pushback on spur-of-the-moment ideas.

Advice to Management

You've hired smart people that know how to do their jobs - trust them to do it.

"This Company Rolls Out The Red Carpet For New Employees!"

Current Employee - Front Desk Administrator in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Administrator in Irvine, CA

I have been working at ChromaDex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Was given a big welcome by everyone at the company when I started.
    Was taken to lunch on my first day by The Director of Operations and my trainers.
    Was taken to the Aquarium of The Pacific by the company on my 5th day of employment for the company's Annual Summer Event which also happened to be on my birthday.
    Have been given personal one on one training to ensure success in my position.
    Have been given great training materials to help guide me in doing my job.
    Company participates in 3 o'clock walks as a group to keep the day live and energetic.
    Company keeps a daily supply of great snacks to help keep everyone feeling refreshed.

Cons

I am very happy here.

4. "Growing Company and Lots of Opportunities"

Current Employee - Stability Study Coordinator in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Stability Study Coordinator in Longmont, CO

I have been working at ChromaDex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was initially with ChromaDex when they sold the Boulder lab, but found my way back to the Longmont location. This is a great company to work for, especially if you're itching to learn more instruments. Compared to other employers I've had, they probably treat their employees the best, in terms of salaries, stock options, free daily snacks and a general sense that they value their employees. The atmosphere is light and casual in the lab and even when given a priority project, there usually isn't much problem to get it done in a timely manner.

Cons

This is a research lab and we're often testing the same product, over and over and over again. If repetition doesn't suit you, I'd suggest you think twice before applying. Aside from that, I don't have any real complaints or concerns with the company at this time.

"Up and Coming"

I have been working at ChromaDex full-time

Pros

High Energy - Fast Pace Environment
    Each employee "CAN" make a difference
    Everyone comes in each day with a positive "can-do" attitude
    Company cares about the employees

Cons

Some facilities are not as kept up as others
    Perception of a disconnect between facilities

Advice to Management

Continue to build the functional relationships between departments and facilities

6. "The energy of a startup, the stability of a public company"

I have been working at ChromaDex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Chromadex is an established company that is going through a positive transition, and looks to every employee to be a part of its success. All ideas are welcome and there are no closed doors between executive management and junior staff. Initiative is encouraged, and coaching from Senior Staff is a part of the day to day. In LA we are growing by leaps and bounds, and the energy is palpable.

Cons

The only one that stands out is that there are 4 offices, so we're not all in the same building. Ideally we would be, but everyone does make an effort to either travel to other offices for F2F meetings or pick up the phone for direct conversations.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees and their ideas. This is easily one of best companies that I've ever worked in empowering its employees.

7. "Decent company"

I worked at ChromaDex full-time

Pros

Good analytical chemists and knowledgeable team

Cons

too many projects, conflicting priorities and sometimes clueless management

Advice to Management

listen

"Do not get fooled"

Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in Irvine, CA

I worked at ChromaDex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee, I heard they offer free snacks as well now oh and once a month they have birthday celebrations in which they get you a cake or pastry. And the people are cool meaning the co-workers (most of them)

Cons

Man I can go on for days about the cons, from office infidelity to unjust firings, It's almost comical looking back on all the BS that this company promotes to products that don't work to under paid employees. Literally if you took a semester of bio or just say you did, they'll hire you, If you have just a little bit of common sense and sleazy salesman personality then you'll have a job. But if you're looking for a career then look else where, trust me. This is not the place, they will BS you and fill you up with lie's about how you have opportunity to grow and blah blah blah DO NOT GET FOOLED. This is a cool place to work if you're just trying to get by day to day with health insurance but this is definitely not a long term position. And please HR save your rebuttal about competitive pay, ask any former employee here and we'll all have similar complaints, better yet just read the reviews lol.

Advice to Management

GET A CLUE, not meaning office snacks or a dumb company party's twice a year that no one cares about. PAY THEM, actually give them a opportunity to grow and appreciate them.

"Small company, large momentum"

Former Employee - Analyst in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Boulder, CO

I worked at ChromaDex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Even though I was part of the Analytics team in Boulder, CO, I still felt connected to the mission and goals of HQ in Irvine, CA, especially through town hall meetings. Jaksch Jr.'s vision is powerful. Camaraderie is excellent throughout the company, and the people are what make this company stand out. It has a small-business vibe with character and compassion. They really care about their employees and prove this in tangible ways.

- Work-life balance is above average, with seldom overtime.

- There are meaningful work experiences to be had in the lab. Projects, research & development--there's really an abundance of learning and growth opportunities.

- Little to no supervision. Work was goal oriented, and as long as deadlines were met, micro-managing was nonexistent.

Cons

- Good people have left the company, primarily because of salary versus the cost of living in Boulder.

- Overall, management is still in a growing stage, with organizational and structural shifts in the workflow causing inevitable bumps in the road.

Advice to Management

Continue to cultivate a community-oriented culture that is positive. Accountability will become even more important as the company grows, so find ways to address issues quickly and professionally.

"Overworked Employees, Underpaid , & Poor Management"

I have been working at ChromaDex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most employees are wonderful good caring people, They offer benefits, They offer the opportunity to learn new things, they try to engage with employees.

Cons

Lower level employees are extremely underpaid and over worked, Managers are not properly trained, Complaints go in one ear and out the other, Poor Management with no accountability, Executives don't care to engage with employees, Lack of Communication throughout, Company has great potential to be an huge company but they need to treat employees better.

Advice to Management

Offer better salaries to you current employees those that are barely making enough to get by with the economy. Remember it cost more to train new people who do less work and eventually leave then it does to reward current employees keep the company from constant turn around. Management needs to be better trained and take accountability to their flaws and improve on communication and take the appropriate action when needed.