Chronicle Books Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Chronicle Books Reviews

Updated Oct 7, 2019

Found 33 reviews

4.1
Chronicle Books CEO Nion McEvoy (no image)
Nion McEvoy
  1. "Company culture is great, job is challenging, and location is prime."

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Chronicle Books full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working with a diverse team of individuals with loads of experience to draw and grow from.

Cons

There's a lot of emails -- things could be settled faster in-person.

Advice to Management

I appreciate when we brown bag, and get folks at the company more visibility!

Chronicle Books2019-08-29
  2. "Creative company with poor upper management"

Current Employee - Coordinator

I have been working at Chronicle Books full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Creative individuals with a passion for uniqueness, mindfulness, and success.

Cons

Management doesn't seem to listen to the questions and concerns from those not in managerial positions. Does not pay well, not for publishing, not for San Francisco. There are also strong limits to how far someone can advance without a higher person leaving.

Advice to Management

Pay better, listen to the people who are actually doing the day to day

Chronicle Books2019-10-08
  3. "Fun place to work"

I worked at Chronicle Books full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very talented employees, beautiful building, fun titles to work on Environment is very collaborative and everyone’s opinion is welcome & respected Management recognizes salaries are low so they find other ways to reward employees Work/life balance was very manageable

Cons

There wasn’t a lot of room for growth for me. I was hired at a lower job title than I held previously, stayed for 2.5 years and my manager said I wouldn’t have gotten promoted for at least another year even though I overperformed every review cycle. That was disheartening. It seems like Management wants to really prolong promotions to incentivize you to stay & that doesn’t really work for millennials. I understand... that publishing pays low as an industry but some of the salaries are embarrassing. I had friends getting paid 2x and even 5x what I got paid.

Advice to Management

Reconsider pay structure, especially for entry level employees. Provide more concrete growth trajectories.

Chronicle Books2019-05-04
  4. "Great first job opportunity, but won't stay for long"

Current Employee - Chronicle Books in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Chronicle Books full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working there after graduation was a great opportunity to learn more about publishing and how things work in the real world. Also have a great working environment with balanced work culture.

Cons

However, there's little growth opportunity for this role, and the low wages makes it difficult to live in the city.

Chronicle Books2019-05-02

"Creative Projects, Fantastic Community"

Former Employee - Creative Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Chronicle Books full-time

Pros

Chronicle attracts amazing, generous, creative talent, and you will meet many friends for life. I loved my time there so much and still work with the company on many projects.

Cons

The pay is low especially in a city that is all about tech. It is as much about publishing as an industry, not just Chronicle.

Chronicle Books2019-03-25

"Great products, people, environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Chronicle Books full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Beautiful products that are fun to produce; enthusiastic, passionate, talented teams; inspiring and warm environment.

Cons

Too much time wasted in meetings.

Chronicle Books2019-01-13

"Chronicle Books Glassdoor review"

I have been working at Chronicle Books full-time

Pros

The people, the creativity, and the value placed on what we contribute to the company whether it be what we bring to our job or things that we do that contribute to the culture of our workplace. I also love that we get profit sharing once a year and we have good benefits.

Cons

The pay, relative to how expensive it is to live in San Francisco. I feel that I make a decent salary, but I live pay check to pay check, and after paying rent, utilities, cable, health-related things and food it's all gone which can be hard.

Chronicle Books2018-08-08

"great people but low paying"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Chronicle Books full-time

Pros

lots of creative, wonderful people

Cons

salary offered is unlivable in bay area

Chronicle Books2018-06-08

August 8, 2018Vice President, Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback. We agree that the Chronicle Books team is full of creative and wonderful people who are passionate about the kind of illustrated book and gift publishing we create. We strive to maintain above average salaries for the publishing industry, and our annual profit share bonus is rare for companies in our industry. All of this plus the work environment, benefits, and the collaborative spirit of Chronicle Books combine to form a company where our average tenure is 7 years which is something we're very proud of.

"Great culture, low ceiling"

I have been working at Chronicle Books full-time for more than a year

Pros

At Chronicle Books you get to work with a lot of highly creative people, strong work-life balance, fun culture.

Cons

Slow growth, not a lot of room for upward mobility, communication in Marketing Department needs to be stronger, lots of stress on a low budget.

Chronicle Books2018-05-29

June 4, 2018Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We agree that Chronicle Books is made up of some of the most creative people in publishing and that our work environment is supportive, balanced, and fun. Regarding upward mobility, we take great pride in promoting from within. In 2016, we promoted approximately 24% of our entire full-time staff, and in 2017 that number was closer to 18%. We also encourage all our staff and managers to have open conversations about their career paths and interests, hoping to align everyone's skills and abilities with the needs and growth of the business.

"Just an overview"

I worked at Chronicle Books full-time

Pros

Great people, diverse environment, hard working team, great product, nice work space/office.

Cons

There is a bit of "exclusive crowd" among long time employees and management.

Chronicle Books2017-06-01

January 31, 2018Vice President, Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback, especially about our need to get even better about encouraging long-term employees to reach out to our newer team members. We're addressing this through quarterly New Employee Meet & Greets and, of course, our long-standing company picnic, holiday party, and Pop-up Happy Hours.

Found 33 reviews