Chubb Reviews | Glassdoor

Chubb Reviews

Updated March 18, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Depending on your department/manager work life balance is either supported or looked down upon (in 20 reviews)

• Although, there are opportunities for advancement, it can be a challenge to move ahead in some areas within the company (in 16 reviews)

"Sad last gasp of the former Chubb"

Former Employee - Vice President in Warren, NJ
    Former Employee - Vice President in Warren, NJ

Pros

Recognized Brand Name
    Work from Home Options
    Company Vehicle
    Benefits

Chubb was truly the last of it's kind. It was a very good carrier with great underwriting, vision and direction. Sr Management had some issues but with geographical control the company was very successful. Customer Service, brand recognition and claim handling were very good. It's been changing the past 10 years but which carrier out there wasn't changing. Ace's purchase of the company is the last nail in the coffin. Disorganized, mass exodus and little humanity left in Management.

If you are 25 and wish to work 24/7 with undying loyalty in one direction (which is not reciprocated) this is the career company for you.

Cons

Horrible Work/Life Balance - Work 24/7 or go elsewhere (mgmt & non-mgmt)
    EG's management style is the same as his father's
    Unwilling to updated technology (computer's, etc.) due to costs
    Disorganized upper/middle management
    Unreasonable and unobtainable goals
    Claims dept's are severely understaffed - impacting claims handling
    Won't issue business cards
    Won't confirm titles/positions after 8 months (post purchase)
    Ace's recent purchase of the company~period.
    ACE removed additional benefits upon ACE purchase of Chubb
    AON dislikes ACE intensely and likely to pull many accounts upon renewal
    Mass exodus of senior management and staff since ACE purchase

Advice to Management

I waited some months after leaving ACE/Chubb to digest it all before offering this review. I dare not risk writing this while still employed for fear of retaliation.

Where to begin? The problem is EG doesn't listen to anyone other than his inner sanctum and the "YES" people and rules with an iron, screaming fist so how can one possibly begin to offer advice to someone who will not take it?

You can't reorg. at regional offices inserting EG type people who literally scream at management daily and expect cohesion and results. People don't respond well to this method. You don't build loyalty this way only fear and fear doesn't produce permanent results.

You cannot demand staff work 24/7 and not burn them out. The morale is sub zero. This is why there is a 30% plus mass exodus at the company right now for upper/mid mgmt and senior, experienced underwriting and claim staff.

Also, attempts to sway the bell curve of Glass Door reviews are quite obvious. Anyone reading these GD reviews should take all these recent, wonderful reviews with a grain of salt. These appear to be "Shill" reviews placed by mgmt.

"TCM- Nurse Case Manager"

Current Employee - TCM-Nurse Case Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - TCM-Nurse Case Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Chubb full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

benefits
    salary
    work from home
    paid time off
    working with telephonic case managers

Cons

1. Management is punitive
    2. Management finds reasons not to give the nurses raises.
    3. Management is a dictatorship
    4. Caseloads 85-98 claims and management feels this is acceptable
    5. Management is not responsive to nurses period.
    6. Los Angeles office nursing supervisors audit cases every day
    7. Telephonic case managers are leaving this employer right and left. Management does not care.
    8. Positions are not replaced readiily.
    9. Worst place I have ever worked in over 20 years of nursing practice.

"Sweat Shop Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whitehouse Station, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whitehouse Station, NJ

I have been working at Chubb (More than 8 years)

Pros

Able to work from home, nice coworkers, otherwise, not much else

Cons

More work is piled on top of you than can possibly be finished and you have to work really hard and fast to accomplish it - which means having to do a sloppy job sometimes. When you are actually able to meet your goals there is only a 1.5 % pay raise, and when you make such a low salary it means squat. Morale is low. Management is ineffective, they don't listen to employees' concerns, nothing ever gets done in a timely manner. Don't even know who my upper level managers are, never bothered to introduce themselves; no communication at all with current manager. Feel looked down upon from managers. No room for advancement. Training is a joke. The tools they provide are riddled with mistakes and no one bothers to correct. Sometimes systems are changed but not necessarily improved. This place is a hot mess.

Advice to Management

There are too many cooks in the kitchen. Management needs to be trimmed and should know the people that work for them. They sit around in meetings all day and never accomplish anything. There is too much bureaucracy and not enough definition.

"Employee-Unfriendly Culture (they like that!) Glad I got out."

Former Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Chubb full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I had worked for Chubb more years than I thought was possible. The old Chubb had great mgrs that would be great mentors and cared about you. The dept I was in was very collaborative and we ended up performing miracles. The IQ's in my dept alone were off the board. I really liked working with other very intelligent people. But, when I turned a certain age, I was forced out. It was right before the merger. The pay and benefits were good. But all the pay cannot replace the piece of mind that comes from working for a great company.

Cons

The person who said that Chubb facilitated an unfriendly culture and atmosphere was dead on right. There were people that worked there that were nothing more than bullies who seemed to run the place and get promoted. In the last few years I worked there turned for the worse. The one who said that most people there was on anti-depressants were right as well, especially the one giving you the reviews. The goals were made to be unreachable. If you ever did reach your goals you were met with some sort of old 6 month old incident that was forgotten about that would be blown out of context purposely so that you would not get promoted. A company that large now would basically eliminate any competition as well as TRY to create a slave culture. I think that's their real purpose and I know them well since I worked for them so long. But, just do the research yourself like googling them.

But, all of this depended on who you worked for and how much influence they had on upper management. So, your whole career there was spent kissing up to these people and you were not rated on your actual talents. Thankfully, I got out and work for a decent company now:)

Advice to Management

Hopefully, people will see thru the bs. Advice would be to be a legitimate company that people can work there and be proud when they come home from work. People don't want to have to take a shower after work to wash all the slime off.

"Not your father's Chubb"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warren, NJ

I have been working at Chubb (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice facility; those that are left close to retirement are OK

Cons

Very dejected population since Ace acquired Chubb, employees are miserable, New CEO is an interesting person- we have been told never to speak to; the have to be spoken to.

"anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA

Pros

This Company has good benefits.

Cons

Management staff lacks concern for employees. Rude and responds in negative manner.
    Uses authority to undermine employees.
    Merger will provide many changes, however not sure if will be positiver or not. Management
    is self-serving and does not care.

Advice to Management

Advice will not make any difference.

"Not the employer of choice"

Former Employee - Underwriting Assistant in Warren, NJ
    Former Employee - Underwriting Assistant in Warren, NJ

I worked at Chubb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can't think of any, but this new Chubb is more like ACE, not the old Chubb.

Cons

Health plan not as good as other employers. 401k matching only $0.50 on the dollar and the matching not given until the end of the year. Some managers are micro managers and need to learn how to build teams not tear them apart. Raises and bonuses are not very competitive.

Advice to Management

Train managers on how to apply arbitrary rules fairly and how teamwork is built. Be more flexible. Value your talent and train inexperienced new employees better.

"management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Chubb (More than 10 years)

Pros

was a great company, a family driven company with decent people and professionals. good training opp and career development opp.

Cons

JF's flat growth and expense control strategy leads the company to a brain drain and morale discouraging. It's getting wrose after it was acquired by ACE, a company making itself bigger through buy..buy .buy ..total different company, great Chubb aura is fading.

Advice to Management

Hope they can treat the staff as the legacy chubb. Hope they can treat the staff as the legacy chubb. Hope they can treat the staff as the legacy chubb.

"Chubb"

I have been working at Chubb full-time

Pros

Great Company with great people that walk the talk. Solid experienced staff with well disciplined underwriting practices. Promotes ethical behavior and provides great benefits.

Cons

C-suite leaders not investing in the company. 100% focus on shareholder returns rather than much needed system support, training etc.

Advice to Management

invest in the company and its people.

"Settles liability personal and commercial auto claims."

I have been working at Chubb full-time

Pros

As an except employee I am given extra pto days for working half days.

Cons

Lies, lots of them. They lied about tuition reimbursement. They department never budgets for it so don't expect anything. The HR rep lied about my salary structure and advised me after 6 months they would review my work. They sure did then, then prorated half of it and have me $280 as half my raise. Which means if I worked there all year then I would have made less then 600. Complete lies and they come one after another.

Advice to Management

You're running a sweat shop in the auto department. People are falling apart and it's present in the 40% turnover rate you have had so far this year. Stop overwhelming people with unreachable expectations. Lastly, please stop lieing, I was hired there with a desire to learn. You have truly hurt my career path.