Church & Dwight Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Church & Dwight CEO Matthew Farrell
Matthew Farrell

Pros
Cons
  • Lately high turnover rate in my department that creating tension with those that have stayed (in 4 reviews)

• Work-life balance leaves something to be desired, because the company is supported by the 20% of people that work hard and intelligently (in 4 reviews)

1. "They try to get every dollar out of you."

Current Employee - Line Operator in Harrisonville, MO
    Current Employee - Line Operator in Harrisonville, MO

I have been working at Church & Dwight full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are good but they get worse every years. 401k matching 5%, good health insurance, $1000 toward your deductible if you get the basic plan. They will pay for your college if you get good grades. They reimburse you 100% unless you get a d or f I think. Clothing and boot allowance but you can only get boots if you turn in your old boots and they have to be evalevaluated because they have to be damaged to a certain level to get a voucher.

Cons

Hard work, seniority doesn't matter to these people anymore and if you want to move to Supervisor but it's also based on favoritism, 2% pay raise a year but insurance cost went up 23% this year, no more employees stock plan, they use temps, high turn over rate, they cut costs by using less people and causing a employee to do more work then they used to, people call it a sweather shop, you can't make any money here and they add stuff for you to do everyday the to do list just gets bigger and bigger, if you go to management with a problem they give you the run around or push you to someone lower on the ladder, people are just always worn out sore and in a negative mood. Many talk about quitting but don't and if they stay for 5 or plus years they end up having to get surgeries because of the work they have to do there and many of them don't get the opportunity to move up anywhere. Most people think that being a line operator here is not a permanent job, just a temporary one because that's how the company is ran and that's how they come off and that's how they treat there employees, if you want to move up as an operator or libe tech you have to pass these stupid tests, you can literally be great at running a machine and know all about it and not move up till you take these ridiculing tests. You start as a utility operator then a d tier c tier b tier a tier and e tier and the amount of people working in each tier is limited and that's how they keep labor costs down, it's a joke. Lack of parking spaces

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and stop treating the office people like they are better than the distribution and production floor people. Stop taking away employee benefits and stop thinning out positions to increase the work load on employees to save a couple bucks but if your gonna do that increase the pay of the people in the positions you do that to.

"Treat temps like dirt"

Former Contractor - Lab Technician in Princeton, NJ
    Former Contractor - Lab Technician in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Church & Dwight as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Steady hours, holiday pay, no overtime, good location, take safety seriously, lots of products to chose from, that kind of stuff.

Cons

Temps get half the hourly rate of employees yet do the same if not more amount of work.
    I worked my tail off at this company for almost a year, they gave me extremely positive feedback, offered me a full time employee position, then decided to switch the position to another department, and never promoted me. 5 months later, still working my tail off to keep any hope of landing another position, my recruiter called me one random day with no notice telling me I wasn't fired, I just didn't need to report to work anymore.

Advice to Management

Most entry level positions here are extremely micromanaged and have no room for growth. High stress all the time, management has no organization and won't think twice about throwing 10 unreasonably sized projects at you at once. Learn to say thank you when your employees reach milestones. This company will do anything to save a buck.

"National Account Manager"

I worked at Church & Dwight full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, great brands to support and a place where you can advance if you take ownership of your career.

Cons

Too many politics get in the way of doing business correctly. Senior Leadership will leave you out to dry and not think twice about it.

Advice to Management

I believe that new blood needs to be infused into the sales organization. Too many cronies that will not stand up and take appropriate action.

"Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ewing, NJ

I worked at Church & Dwight (Less than a year)

Pros

Up to %5 matching investment.

Cons

Buracracy makes being heard impossible. If you're not at HQ you don't matter.

Advice to Management

Change doesn't necessarily mean positive return.

5. "Laboratory"

Former Employee - Lab in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Lab in Vancouver, WA

Pros

If your a slow worker this is good for you. the good workers will do you work.

Cons

If you're a good worker, you will have to do people who can't perform wells work.

Advice to Management

Please help your good workers who move the lab. Not give them work that slow Chemist that don't do well but talk and complain all the time.

6. "Needs incentive pay"

Current Employee - Case Pick Technician in Harrisonville, MO
    Current Employee - Case Pick Technician in Harrisonville, MO

Pros

The shift I worked was fairly good

Cons

Performing the most work and gettin paid the least

Advice to Management

Incentive pay should be administered

"Play the game or get out"

Former Employee - Associate & Assistant Brand Manager in Groveville, NJ
    Former Employee - Associate & Assistant Brand Manager in Groveville, NJ

I worked at Church & Dwight (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, free stuff, free food sometimes. Free minor league games.

Cons

Managers rule. If you aren't parent of the in crowd then forget about getting ahead.

"over worked, under paid, no opportunity to move up"

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at Church & Dwight full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Share price keeps going up, company growing thru accquisitions, summer Fridays, I am still here only because this has become my comfort zone.

Cons

No flexibility, no telecommuting option, keep accquiring new brands but not more people to do the extra work, low pay, managers are not groomed or trained to be leaders, no appreciation for the hard work that you do. very limited opportunities to move up so you get stuck in a role for years! New management has their priorities all out of order...spend $$ decorating conference rooms but cant order lunch for a meeting.

Advice to Management

Get your priorties right. Get with the times and allow flexible schedules and telecommuting options. Create more tiers and opportunity to move up.

"Not great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Church & Dwight full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the people were nice to work with; the pay was pretty good; nice company bonus

Cons

HR won't let people transfer to other departments because they don't want to backfill positions. They'd rather hire people from outside rather than let current employees grow. HR is not there for the employees.

Advice to Management

Do better to keep good employees. New and cheaper is not better.

"Little man syndrome"

I worked at Church & Dwight full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Ewing office is a nice facility. Summer hours and casual Friday's help employees rationalize their decision to stick it out. The employee bonus program helps the overall compensation package to be competitive with the peer marketplace. The stock options for managers reward total corporate performance, which has been good on average for the last 15 years. Perhaps not as good recently unless the CEO can convince the board to accept a plan that is just high enough to be credible, but also low enough to be beatable.

Cons

CHD Openly criticize their large and effective competitors as a strategy to illustrate to Wall Street and their own staff that they are not going to lie down and be pushed around. Sales management intimidate and bully their own staff in addition to all other departments to act like a bigger company, without the necessary resources. As a result everyone tip toes around the top sales leader in fear of public humiliation, demotion or termination if they can't pull rabbits out of a hat. Mercurial behavior at the highest level make it hard to focus on business problem solving without serious consideration pertaining to retributive consequences.
    The Sales team openly blame their failures on marketing incompetence and marketing blame sales for inability to execute effectively. Too much time is spent on attacking and defending internal issues. HR, while doing an effective job of administrating employee benefits, are powerless to intervene in the political infighting and bad behavior demonstrated at the highest levels.

Advice to Management

Executive Coaching with consequences.