Cibo Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lu Lacourte

1. "Amazing culture of creative, driven people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cibo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I’ve worked at Cibo for several years. Cibo has built an amazing culture of creative, driven people who function like a big family. I made some of my best friends at the agency, which is big on company outings and always looks for opportunities to have fun together. There are also great educational opportunities across the company, from 4A’s classes to speaking coaches, to Photoshop classes for non-designers.

Cibo has great partnerships with its clients, with big names in the automobile industry, and large Silicon Valley tech companies making up the bulk of the roster. I remember when Cibo fired a huge account because the clients were a nightmare, which is the perfect representation of how Cibo cares about the well-being of its employees. Work-life balance is also great, because a lot of people have families, and are usually out the door by 5:30.

Cons

I’m a big believer that companies’ (and peoples’) greatest strengths are usually their greatest weakness, and this is very much the case with Cibo. The agency is fluid, with little to no structure. It provides a great opportunity for hungry, proactive people to succeed and grow their careers. On the flipside, with no structure in place to provide career growth for junior people, those who don't take initiative to get where they want to be on their own may not succeed.

Advice to Management

Keep working to foster an environment of education, growth, great creative work, and fun.

"Smart, creative team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Working at Cibo has been a great experience. Everyone on the team is very smart and leave their egos at the door. Everyone values a solid work life balance.

Cons

No cons at this point.

3. "My Cibo experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cibo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've never worked with such amazing personalities. Everyone here has a set of skill and they utilize them exponentially each and every week. You can see the team grow more and more dynamic. It's amazing. Not to mention we are all somewhat of a family here. We work together, and have company outings that are always fun. They really make sure everyone has time to breath easy after our busy week(s) and really make an effort to make sure everyone is comfortable and satisfied with what they are working on which is a definite plus.

Cons

So far my only con would be that Cibo is a company that aims to please each and everyone of our clients. We are the "yes we can" guys before anything, and so there are times when maybe we shouldn't. BUT I have noticed an effort in making sure each person involved in a project is satisfied and that's honestly all I can ask for.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work guys. I have felt nothing but warm welcomes since I first walked in the door (and then right back out for a project), but each of you have and are doing an awesome job at making sure your team is happy and from what I'm hearing, they all are. Me included.

5. "Fun, short time"

Former Employee - Web Designer
    Former Employee - Web Designer

Pros

- great (collaborative & close-knit) office space
    - solid relationship with clients
    - speakers and workshops were great

Cons

- needed more time to build relationships with others outside of my project

"Run Away. Far Away!"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cibo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After working under Cibo management there is nowhere to go but up, since you have scraped the bottom of the leadership barrel.

Cons

The positive reviews are manufactured. Many employees were asked to add one, which I refused.

Senior people will sniff out the sketchy management pretty quickly. I feel bad for the junior people who have no context and haven't yet realized what real leadership means. There are so many better options for them out there. There is no reason for them to endure such abuse and incompetence.

Advice to Management

Find another career like Nigerian fishers or Vegas farmers. Something more suited to scam artists and sociopaths.

"Boutique agency still trying to grow up"

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cibo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great office location near Walton Square park in FiDi and cool post-industrial office vibe
    Smart and talented Creative team who are fun to work with when working together on a project

Cons

Massive employee turnover at all levels, it's been a constant revolving door with people coming and going
    Terrible at client relationshps and retention, many clients have come and gone
    Poor business development, long stretches between bigger client projects; clients seem to chose Cibo on price, not great work
    Typical small agency chaotic and disorganized project delivery processes
    Questionable executive management team creating a poor company culture relying on employee intimidation at times (who obviouslly wrote some of these glowing company reviews)
    CEO has a well known reputation as egotistical and controlling

Advice to Management

You can't become a great agency if you can't get great clients and deliver great work. Mange your clients and their expectations, they certainly don't match what you sold them. Treat your employees with genuine respect and check your egos at the door, they may decide to hang around longer if you do. Decide what kind of agency you want to be.

"Creative Designer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cibo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you don't have to work under Alder - the group of designers is fun to work with.

Cons

Alder Yarrow, Cibo’s Chief Experience Officer, is the worse person you’ll ever work for. Not only is his work and knowledge of User Experience (UX) mediocre but he also has the tendency to put down his team members in front of others and never give them any credit. Lack of leadership and constant turnover in his group is disturbing.

UX talent is in demand and there are so many great agencies to work for – no need to work with Cibo as long as Alder is there.

"So bad they have to create their own positive reviews"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cibo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the"staff is great. the management and "CEO" in particular are awful

Cons

The recent Glassdoor reviews written in August were all manufactured by the CEO and the yes men he surrounds himself with. He was so freaked out about the honest negative reviews on this site, he had fake reviews created and posted to up his own approval score and create an illusion of happiness. Tool.

Advice to Management

Guys (and it's all guys btw), grow up and confront the CEO for the beast he is. The staff is miserable, clients don't trust a word you say and you are hanging on by accounting tricks and a revolving door of talent. Unless you rein in or remove the "CEO" you might as well pack it in, because he can never get out of his or your way.

10. "Great culture! Smart people!"

Pros

Cibo's culture is fun, collaborative, and family oriented. Everyone treats each other with respect and kindness. Its the perfect environment to learn, grow, and succeed in.

Aside from the culture, Cibo is full of some of the smartest people ive ever worked with, and has the type of attitude that we can do anything. And we can. We are full of talented folks from all sorts of backgrounds, and enjoy taking on new challenges. Thats what makes it fun. Never a boring day.

Cons

Small companies can feel chaotic and disorganized at times. That can be a con to some and a pro to others.

11. "Smart people, a good place to work"

I have been working at Cibo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are talented and fun. Cibo sets the bar pretty high with the quality of its employees. Most bring a wealth of talent and experience to each project. Management is very supportive of its employees and encourages its employees to adjust to improve their work. This in turn helps employees stay on top of current trends and topics everyone is prepared to show what they know with one another.

Its pretty cool to have so many people with so much knowledge at your finger tips. As someone who has worked with a dedicated product team in the past where noting would change in a long time. Having the ability to learn something new with each project is appreciated and refreshing.

Cons

No company is perfect. At times it feels like there is too much overhead and not everyone is on the same page with a projects. But Cibo is also the kind of place where you can take your concerns and talk with co-workers and even management and people will listen to you.

Advice to Management

Please continue to support opportunities to collaborate with employees.