Ciena Reviews | Glassdoor

Gary B. Smith
  1. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Ciena full-time

Pros

Challenging but fulfilling problems, people are super nice and helpful, management is understanding. Very competitive pay and fantastic benefits.

Cons

Not a super diverse crowd, but this is typical in this industry

March 4, 2019Ciena

Thanks for taking the time to write a review - it's good to read your comments. If you want to continue the conversation please get in touch at Cienafeedback@ciena.com

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Learning Developer in Hanover, MA

I have been working at Ciena full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Flexible schedule and able to work from home. Very nice people to work with

Cons

Raises are very fixed in the system. Seems to be difficult to move up.

March 18, 2019Ciena

Hey there! Happy to receive your feedback and great to acknowledge your tenure with us! If you'd like to continue the conversation please get in touch at cienafeedback@ciena.com

3. "Lead engineer"

I have been working at Ciena full-time

Pros

Good work culture. Interesting work

Cons

Low advancement opportunities for employees.

"Market leader, but needs to expand"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Ciena full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Market leader in core strengths of optical networking. Good pay structure and benefits. Global presence and business model.

Cons

Somewhat one-dimensional solution space. Needs to accelerate initiatives outside of core optical business. Danger of solution space getting commoditized and trigger "race to the bottom" in market pricing. Not out of the realm of possibility that they can be acquired by larger player that needs expertise in optical networking.

Advice to Management

Place more value on strategic thinking. Balance it better with the business as usual practices of keeping run-rate business healthy. Train and develop people better. It's not only the senior leadership that can change with the times - the full workforce can also.

February 19, 2019Ciena

Thanks for making a review. We value your opinion and suggestions. We aren't really sure if these suggestions were put across by you to your team leaders during your long tenure with Ciena. Please can you get in touch with us at Cienafeedback@ciena.com so that we can discuss the ...

"Management by Fear in Tech Support"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer

I have been working at Ciena full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Being associated with the leading edge optical communications technologies is exciting. Working with colleagues and customers all over the world is a great experience. Benefits are pretty good compared to other companies (from what non-Ciena folks tell me).

Cons

Recent job structure changes to tech support roles is very challenging for most of us. Especially because many of our colleagues were fired with no explanation as to why they were chosen nor how the survivors can know how we are performing to prevent being next. Not a great deal of job opportunities offered internally. Most new hiring being done in India and Canada.

Advice to Management

Try more Management By Walking Around. You might be surprised at the different message you get versus what direct reports are telling you.

March 4, 2019Ciena

We value your opinion and are very concerned reading yours. Please can you get in touch with us at Cienafeedback@ciena.com so that we can discuss the above. Please be assured that this would be treated with utmost sensitivity in a bid to make Ciena even a better place to work for.

"Good Networking company"

I worked at Ciena full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Company provides good healthcare benefits.

Cons

Don't have anything to add.

January 24, 2019Sourcing Specialist

Hey there! Thank you for writing about your experience with us. You'd know how incredibly proud we are of our employees and the talent they bring to the table and we feel extremely happy to have had your contribution for great 8 long years! Stay in touch and you may also choose ...

"Solution-Driven Sales and Marketing Business Development Professional Focused on Customer Retention, Service And Success"

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Hanover, MD

I worked at Ciena full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Great culture overall within the company, great benefits, and opportunity for career growth if you have a supporting management.

Cons

Work load is strenuous which doesn't leave room for career growth. Lack of support from upper management to branch out and set career goals.

Advice to Management

More support is needed to employees for career growth so they become a more valuable asset with the company and to keep layoffs to a minimum. To tell employees there just wasn't any other place in the company to transition them to and to terminate them is a direct reflection on the lack of support to employees.

"Senior Manager R&D"

I worked at Ciena full-time

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, a leader in optical networking

Cons

Rigid and bureaucratic work environment. Management not agile or progressive.

• "Good place to be"

I worked at Ciena full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

9-5 workload round the year.

Cons

Tech debt from acquisitions (e.g Nortel)

"Employees Are Just Numbers"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Ciena full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Somewhat Flexible - depends on team Challenging - you will not get bored

Cons

Processes are confusing and constantly changing. Lay offs No room for advancement or career change. On call without pay.

Advice to Management

GTS is the face of the company and they deal with clients during outages and such- They deserve better management and treatment.

Found 659 reviews