Cover image for Ciena

4.4
Ciena President, CEO, and Director Gary B. Smith
Gary B. Smith
1,031 Ratings

What are your colleagues talking about?

Find your private company bowl on Fishbowl, join the hottest conversation with your colleagues anonymously.
Join the Conversation

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Work Life Balance is good(in 198 reviews)
  • "Good benefits and pension contribution.(in 124 reviews)
  • "Great people then and now.(in 120 reviews)
  • "Great culture with commitment to excellence(in 59 reviews)
  • "Good salaries (I was here on placement and amazed at my salary).(in 51 reviews)
Cons
  • "Poor management no proper utilization of company resources(in 45 reviews)
  • "Many of the managers have not been trained and do poor to fair jobs managing effectively(in 27 reviews)
  • "Frequent Layoffs(in 19 reviews)
  • "Recent merger with Cyan(now Blueplanet)expose you to cutting edge technologies but there is no training plan for employees, you are on your own.(in 13 reviews)
  • "Yes working in medium to large sized companies there is a disconnect sometimes between senior management and junior staff, that is well understood.(in 7 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Ciena and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Compensation

Mar 23, 2023 - Lead Engineer in Orange, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Salary is very good and competitive.

Cons

Role growth opportunities are limited

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fantastic Place to Work!

Mar 23, 2023 - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

The number one thing that Ciena brings to the work environment is treating its people and customers with respect. It is the most ethical company I've ever been involved with which really makes for a wonderful place to get things done.

Cons

Like all big companies there are lots of steps needed to get things moving forward. At times being focused on making the best decision rather than just making a decision slows progress.

Continue reading
  3. Join the Ciena team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good Company

Mar 23, 2023 - Software Engineer II in Bangalore
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working environment is really good

Cons

Some Times Work life balance can be really bad

5. 5.0

Great culture

Mar 21, 2023 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Love Ciena!! Great culture, very supportive, team oriented.

Cons

Could really use some business process reengineering in back office. Can’t seem to get out of their own way sometimes despite valiant efforts.

Ciena Response

Thank you for the feedback. It's great to read what you have to say. We always strive to do better. If you'd like to share more, please contact us at cienafeedback@ciena.com.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent place to work

Mar 20, 2023 - NOC Operator in Buenos Aires
    Business Outlook

Pros

Engaging. Rewarding Collaborative Flexible Supportive

Cons

No payment in USD mprove hybrid work

Continue reading

Ciena Response

Thank you for this positive feedback. It's great to read what you have to say. We always strive to do better and are on our way to making our competitive rewards package even better. If you'd like to share more, please contact us at cienafeedback@ciena.com.

7. 5.0

Amazing Culture

Mar 20, 2023 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Work-life balance 2. Good colleague 3. Good componesation

Cons

Sometimes, it can be not easy to manage because teams can be spread worldwide.

Ciena Response

Thank you for your feedback. We are continuously working on ensuring individuals like you have an even better working environment, so your feedback is greatly appreciated and taken to our leadership team. If you want to continue this conversation and help us find even more ways to do better, please send an email to cienafeedback@ciena.com.

8. 5.0

Good company

Mar 18, 2023 - Embedded Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing people to work with

Cons

Work can become mundane overtime

Ciena Response

Thank you for this feedback. It's great to hear what you have to say. We always strive to do better. If you'd like to share more, please contact us at cienafeedback@ciena.com.

9. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

good company to learn but not to earn

Mar 15, 2023 - Network Analyst in Ottawa, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

a good place to learn, many training webinar/seminars, very responsive HR,

Cons

unfairly low payment. Little merit each year

Ciena Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It's great to read what you have to say. We always strive to do better and are on our way to making our competitive rewards package and management training even better. We are continuously working on ensuring individuals like you have an even better working environment so your feedback is greatly appreciated and taken to our leadership team. If you want to continue this conversation and help us find even more ways to do better, please send an email to cienafeedback@ciena.com.

10. 5.0

Good working env

Mar 15, 2023 - Software Engineer in Kanata, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good working env. Great leadership

Cons

PTO Is flexible. feels guilty when apply longtime off.

Recruitment Marketing Specialist

Thank you for sharing your experience at Ciena! We are extremely proud of our flexible working and overall working environment. We are continuously working on ensuring individuals like you have a great work-life balance, so your feedback is greatly appreciated and taken to our leadership team. If you want to continue this conversation and help us find even more ways to do better, please send an email to cienafeedback@ciena.com.

11. 5.0

Good work life balanace

Mar 15, 2023 - Senior Program Manager in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance and very minimal micro managment.

Cons

slow paced on majority of the projects

Ciena Response

Thanks for taking the time to write a review - it's great to read your comments. If you want to continue this conversation and help us find even more ways to do better, please send an email to cienafeedback@ciena.com.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,609 Reviews
</>Embed

Ciena Reviews FAQs

Ciena has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5, based on over 1,850 reviews left anonymously by employees. 89% of employees would recommend working at Ciena to a friend and 88% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Ciena employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Ciena. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

89% of Ciena employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Ciena 4.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.5 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Ciena to be culture, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be management, career development.

Popular Careers with Ciena Job Seekers