Cigital Security Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Cigital Chairman and CEO John L. Wyatt
John L. Wyatt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Only a handful of smart people left so some good knowledge being distributed (in 5 reviews)

• Projects are really good, you will learn a lot of things but not easily due to politics managers always prefer favorite (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • 401k Match, Some client managers do not earn their pay and have trouble handling the work load (in 2 reviews)

• The company spends nothing on training its staff, or allowing them any time to attend conferences, external training (in 2 reviews)

1. "Excellent training"

Former Intern - Security Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Security Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Cigital as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This is an excellent company for a penetration tester or information security practitioner.

Cons

There are not research opportunities or active participation on major conferences.

Advice to Management

Encourage and support interns and full time employees to research and participate on conferences and security groups.

"Good for Starting your Career in Security"

Current Employee - Security Consultant in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Security Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Cigital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, Friendly Culture, Variety of work

Cons

Salary, No scope for research, Client driven

"A fair choice"

Current Employee - Associate Security Consultant in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Associate Security Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Cigital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good working atmosphere, flexible hours, nice people. It's a fair choice for a new graduates especially those who are interested in software security.

Cons

1. Communications with clients are cumbersome and inevitable.
    2. Little things to learn after a relatively short time.

Advice to Management

This company is running well and making progress, nothing wrong

"A good place to get started"

Former Employee - Security Consultant in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Security Consultant in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Cigital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This review is specific to the Bloomington, Indiana office.

The Bloomington office is a good choice for new graduates and those switching industries to kickstart a career in the security field. The office is continually adding new services, allowing consultants to try out several areas in security.

Cigital as a company is on the forefront of best security practices, and the experience of seeing how multiple clients implement security and how Cigital assists in maturing them is invaluable.

The exposure and rapid career growth that the Bloomington office can offer a fresh graduate with little security experience is largely unparalleled.

Coworkers are very friendly and enjoy sharing their knowledge.

Cons

Again, this is specific to the Bloomington, Indiana office and is not indicative of the climate in other offices.

Work in the Bloomington office is highly process-oriented. Employees eventually hit a point of diminishing returns in their technical skills growth after about one to two years with the office. By this time, the skills that a consultant has accrued have a higher market value than what Cigital is willing to pay. Because of this, the Bloomington office experiences 'brain drain' and does not have much in the way of senior technical leadership.

Large amounts of overtime are the norm more than the exception. Those who have been on the job for more than a few months will routinely be assigned 40 hours of client-billable work while being responsible for a team of new hires at the same time.

The Bloomington office does not designate time for consultants to conduct research or work on internal projects. This type of work usually takes place in addition to 40 hours of client work.

Because the necessary technical skills can be learned (relatively) quickly, the office routinely values and makes promotions based on business and consulting acumen over technical skills. This can be viewed as a pro or con depending on personal career plans.

Advice to Management

The routine one to two year tenure of Bloomington employees should serve as an indicator that the options and career tracks available to Bloomington consultants should be revisited.

Automation of services and research should be a higher priority, or the office's offerings will be overshadowed by the services of others in the long run.

Jun 19, 2015 – Marketing Manager

We appreciate you stopping by to leave a review. We're really excited about our presence in the Bloomington community and helping so many recent graduates get started in the security space. Given... More

"4 stars only for the rockstar Cigitalites"

Former Employee - Security Consultant
    Former Employee - Security Consultant

I worked at Cigital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the smartest security folks work here. I started my Appsec career with Cigital and I don't regret any moment of it. I learnt a lot while I was there. I interacted and met people who I really respect. Good exposure to practical hands-on Application Security projects which is always helpful. Work culture was the best I've experienced. Young, energetic, innovative employees is what makes Cigital an awesome place to work. I miss that the most.

Cons

Compensation is not that great and that matters specially when the benefits are not that great either. If you are working on a project and it gets mundane after some time, you can be stuck there for quite some time.

Shifting InfoSec domains can be difficult specially when you are just getting started. Cigital is full of experts and some really smart people who get pulled into good projects. So, making your way through them and working on interesting projects can be a bit difficult.

Jul 22, 2014 – Marketing Manager

Thanks for your feedback, we really appreciate it. Understanding it can sometimes be hard to share feedback as an employee please considering reaching out to members of the HR team for... More

"Love the work and the people."

Current Employee - Security Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Security Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Cigital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool projects, awesome crowd in NYC, and a great global knowledge base to learn from. I love coming to work every day!

Cons

Financial and organizational growing pains of a small consulting firm. Not enough women (join us!) ... We need another office puppy :(

Dec 4, 2013 – Marketing Manager

With 3+ years under your belt you are a true Cigital veteran. As with any growing organization there are struggles, but we are excited about our new partnership with LLR and expect their investment... More

7. "Good place to learn new skills"

Current Employee - Security Consultant in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Cigital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a good place to learn new skills and work for different companies. You get to travel the world, see many different places.

Cons

sometimes too much business travel

Dec 3, 2013 – Marketing Manager

We're extremely thankful to have you as a member of the Cigital team and we look forward to helping you grow your career.

8. "Good growth opportunities"

I have been working at Cigital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The management is very approachable and the social environment provided is truly something unique for a firm that has a lot of workers who are remote. The company is still small enough to fit in a big room and does so a few times a year (at about 200+ people). The company is also very transparent with monthly all hands meetings that cover everything from new hires to company financials. In all reality the people who work at Cigital are smart and do a good job and the people alone make it a great location for new employees and experienced individuals alike. They have also seemingly eased up on issues with employees moving to other companies that are mentioned in some reviews.

Cons

I could always use more money, but who couldn't. The hours can be long if you choose to make them so and travel can be an issue if you have a family.

Advice to Management

The company seems to be growing stronger and bigger while still hiring the smart minds it needs thrive. If the environment can be maintained for the next few years it will continue to be a fun place to work.

"The best place out there for application security."

Current Employee - Security Consultant in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Cigital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cigital offers incredible flexibility, brilliant technical leaders, and fantastic opportunities for career growth and development. Cigital has incredibly fun, challenging projects and genuinely passionate staff. There is no limit to the amount of experience and expertise in the Application Security segment of the market. Entrepreneurial and Technical career growth tracks exist, so there is no "one size fits all" here. The environment is very pleasant, and the individuals who lead and manage projects clearly care about their staff.

Cons

Cigital can often be an intimidating place for "less-technical" people. Achievements and objectives can be restrictive. Quantifying unique accomplishments is challenging and can limit growth. Cigital could easily become a 5-star company by compensating more fairly. Different employees in the same position can have huge disparities in salary.

Advice to Management

Please provide more constructive criticism to help develop our staff. Hearing compliments is great, but not at the expense of professional growth and improvement opportunities.

"Solid company to work at. So far so good!"

I have been working at Cigital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learning a lot in the world of consulting services. Travel percentage is about 30%, not as much as I feared. Spending a lot of time at clients, either locally or elsewhere in U.S. Learning a lot, working a lot. Great experience. Good new friends here as well.

Cons

A little more comp time might be nice, but all in all, no real complaints.

Advice to Management

Ring dings in the vending machine please. :-)