Cigna Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 22, 2017

1. "Ok experience"

Current Employee - Senior Business Project Manager in Bloomfield, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Business Project Manager in Bloomfield, CT

I have been working at Cigna (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed work atmosphere, good work life balance

Cons

No career path for contractors

"Utilization Nurse"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ

Pros

Piscataway location is very accessible.

Cons

Cigna retained Qualcare's unprofessional UM management. They are disrespectful to their employees. Result is high turnover in the UM department.

Advice to Management

Provide managerial management classes to UM department management. Education may be offered now that Cigna has acquired Qualcare.

"Not as flexible as advertised, terrible training"

Former Employee - Field Care Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Field Care Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cigna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay for social workers

Cons

Overloaded caseloads, absolutely worthless training. Punishment for any mistakes (even small ones) is having to come into the office more despite this being a work from home job (up to 3-4 days a week and somehow you're still supposed to see your members, making you even more behind on an overloaded caseload). The team leaders- you're either going to get a good one, or one that is absolutely not helpful and rude. It was advertised to me as flexible hours, but that isn't true at all. They get on you about being behind on members (EVERY team member was- every. single. one), but then they constantly bring you in several times a month for additional training (most of which, if you're a social worker, is basically review).

Advice to Management

Better training, be UPFRONT about the fact that work from home is more like 25-50%.

"Great for FTEs. Not so good for contractors"

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Windsor, CT

I worked at Cigna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great for FTEs. Flexible hours. Good opportunities. Good projects and career is lined up for the employees. They have some good managers who really acknowledge good talent

Cons

Company culture and values are not good towards contrators. No recognition for work done. No good opportunities. Cannot even access onsite gym. No flexible hours.

Advice to Management

Might be worth to give some thought on how to improve contractor satisfaction within company as end of the day they are equal contributors. Few ways are
    Access to gym
    Flexible hours.
    Equal recognition for any team awards and accolades

"CSR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taylor, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taylor, PA

I worked at Cigna (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not too many to list here. Would not recommend to anyone.

Cons

Management team are bias. Pick favorites, and overlook real talent on the floor.

Advice to Management

Do better. Be better. It's quite simple. Recognize talent and retain them. Won't have such a high turn over rate.

"Internal Job Search"

Current Employee - Senior Applications Specialist in Bloomfield, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Specialist in Bloomfield, CT

I have been working at Cigna full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work at home, PTO , good benifits

Cons

Difficult to move around within the Company for Work at Home employees. Although we have a career website in order to get more info regarding a job you have to apply for it. The minute you do an email is sent to your manager. Managers get angry when their good performers try to move outside the department. So if you do that and you get more information and find that you are not really interested in the job you are now in trouble with your boss.

Advice to Management

Allow people to explore jobs by discussing with an internal recruiter to see if there is a possible match before emailing the managers. People are afraid to apply for internal positions. Managers are supposed to be supportive of this sort of thing but they are NOT. This is even more difficult for the work at home person who is not able to make contacts within the office.

"Treats Employees unfairly"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Columbia, MD

I worked at Cigna (More than 8 years)

Pros

When an employee is first hired they treat them very well.

Cons

Management is very colicky and if an employee doesn't fit into that click, they are treated very unfairly.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees fairly based on their individual contributions and not whether or not they fit into managements click.

"Managers matter"

Current Employee - Social Media Marketing in Simsbury, CT
    Current Employee - Social Media Marketing in Simsbury, CT

I have been working at Cigna full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home, salary, telecommute, creative work, for profit company, stability, 401K, benefits are ok, healthy life incentives, mobility, remote,

Cons

Work in red tape environment with poor management and hostile work environment. Team is rude management is oblivious and the trend is to demean not foster growth.

Advice to Management

Don't belittle your employees. Choose to foster growth and development. Encourage learning.

"Medicare D Coverage Determination Team"

Former Employee - Pharmacy CSA in Bourbonnais, IL
    Former Employee - Pharmacy CSA in Bourbonnais, IL

I worked at Cigna (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, great co-workers, 401k. I was only generous with two stars because I had amazing co-workers

Cons

Last minute mandatory OT, overbearing rediculous upper management who uses relentless bullying as a means of controlling their staff.

Advice to Management

I tried for 4 years to get into Cigna before finally getting hired. I wanted to retire with the company. Unfortunately, Cigna Healthspring's bullying and unrealistic expectations of their pharmacy team made working here unbearable. If we couldn't work the last minute overtime, we were told it would come out of our sick pay. No mind to the people who have kids or go to school full time also. I was told that not being able to work my OT because it was finals week at school would be an occurrence. During inclement weather, we were told we could use PTO to go home, but only after the whole dept had a melt down. We were never told this in the morning so everyone who chose to leave just drove in the storm (they also implemented mandatory OT THE SAME DAY). Healthspring's scheduling decisions never make sense. They open up voluntary OT for the week (with intentions to mandate it anyway) and then your voluntary hours don't count towards the mandated. Don't you understand that if you told the employees their voluntary OT hours counted towards mandated if implemented, you'd get ALOT more volunteers? Basically, what it comes down to is that the work and life balance, and ridiculous, overbearing upper management is the reason I chose to leave. It's sad really. You've lost 22 people or more in the past 6 months, and you still think that your employees are the issue.

"Lack of opportunities, very poor management"

Current Employee - Financial Analysis Senior Specialist in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Financial Analysis Senior Specialist in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Cigna (More than a year)

Pros

Work/Life Balance, PTO/sick time, location

Cons

Surprisingly expensive insurance with limited options, unprofessional management, lack of opportunities, no bonus/raise

Advice to Management

Hire professional managers, not someone from the street with no experience

Showing 240 of 1,541 reviews