Cimarex Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cimarex Energy CEO Thomas E. Jorden
Thomas E. Jorden

"Cimarex Energy Co. Review"

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Tulsa, OK

Pros

The pay and benefits package are very good. The work environment has relatively low stress most of the time. Management encourages a focus on projects, but we are also given a degree of creative freedom. My colleagues are very talented and are always willing to share and help out if a difficult problem prevents progress.

Cons

The major downfall of working for Cimarex is really the same as it is for any energy company. Primarily the enforcement of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. It has added a significant amount of tedious overhead to our department. However, it has also forced us to be thorough and efficient.

Advice to Management

Please continue to run the organization with an emphasis on consistent, sustained growth. I would love to know that Cimarex will be here for a hundred years if that is possible.

2. "Great Environment, great people, limited room to grow"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Cimarex Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small compnany, great experience, wonderful people

Cons

Small company, limited career growth opportunities

3. "I find cimarex to be intellectually stimulating with real opportunities to solve impactful challenges."

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Cimarex Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ability to candidly express your point of view back it up with sound data and well thought out methodology

Cons

Don't let yourself be micro managed. If you feel that way, you are not having candid and real conversations with your manager. Shame on you for blaming that on micro management. Engage in the solution, speak up and solve it. Because guess what, nobody else will do it for you

Advice to Management

Communicate more to employees so all can share in the vision of the company. Continue to self reflect in order to self improve

5. "Great company"

Pros

Great benefits package; above average pay; fast to adopt new drilling/production technologies

Cons

Conservative; bonuses for direct profit line departments only; slow to adopt nuts-and-bolts technologies such as document management and data management

6. "There's no place I'd rather be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Cimarex Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've found Cimarex to be a top-notch institution in virtually all of my experiences so far. They've really emerged as one of the best-of-breed E&P companies, and after being here for almost a year, it's easy to see why. The people I've gotten to work with have been some of the smartest and most innovative thinkers yet. At Cimarex, the entire organization seems to be that way.

Cons

While the company continues to grow, it sometimes forgets that it isn't the tiny organization like it once was. This can lead to what some might call 'micromanaging' or a concentration of decision-making power toward the top. But if you work hard and do good work, I think you definitely have the opportunity for your work to be seen and to have a meaningful impact on the organization.

Advice to Management

Think about the company's future and the best way to manage the eventual succession. Otherwise, just keep doing what you're doing.

7. "Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Cimarex Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Supportive executive management, good work ethics, wonderful office environment. Work itself was fast paced, challenging, detailed, and involved executive management approvals. Many times I was required to complete a project by working outside the box to find resolution.

Cons

The position was managed out of IT and all project expenses and work were approved by Executives and Operations management. Fast paced projects. Reported to IT, but all work was requested and approved by other management teams. Many times my direct management was left out of the initial communications for projects. Often became tense.

Advice to Management

Although Executive management supported this position, over time and changes of middle management, this support was lost to my immediate management. More communication needed.

8. "Wonderful Company"

Pros

Cimarex was really taking off when I was employed there. It was an exciting place to be and they treat their employees wonderfully. Best healthcare benefits I have ever had and they were extremely low cost to employees. Excellent 401 match. Tom Jorden would come visit our office and would know all of us by name. All executives were extremely friendly and approachable. All in all I was devastated to have to leave my job here, and if I wasn't forced to move due to my husband's position I would have never left.

Cons

I cannot think of one bad part about my job at Cimarex or the company in general.

9. "Relief pumper"

Former Employee - Pumper in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - Pumper in Midland, TX

I worked at Cimarex Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good company to work for and they are very safety oriented company

Cons

Your on call 24 hours a day and sometimes you might have to work very long hours

Advice to Management

Enjoyed working for your company and would do it again

10. "Data Science Consultant - Intern"

Current Employee - Junior Data Scientist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Junior Data Scientist in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Cimarex Energy (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of responsibility within your domain - Mngt strong

Cons

a little naive towards finance

11. "Reservoir Engineer Intern"

Former Employee - Reservoir Engineering Intern in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Reservoir Engineering Intern in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Cimarex Energy (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing pay for an internship, you get to work with high-caliber people in a company that values science over tradition.

Cons

Increasingly, a great internship at a larger O&G company does not equate to a full-time position after graduation. This was the case with me at Cimarex, which was a bit of a surprise.