Cincinnati Bell Reviews | Glassdoor

Cincinnati Bell Reviews

Updated May 27, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • no racial or gender equality in upper management (in 5 reviews)

• Unreliable product, difficult to meet sales goals depending on territory assigned (in 3 reviews)

"Good opportunities for some"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwood, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwood, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Bell’s corporate culture is improving. I have worked with some dynamic leaders who were genuinely excited about our business and invested in its growth. My schedule has been flexible and compensation has been fair. I received support while continuing my education and took advantage of opportunities to obtain professional certifications.

Cons

They suffer from a lack of diversity and women in leadership roles. When it comes to promotions they often post opportunities but know who is going to fill the position. HR has behaved unprofessionally while filling positions as well. They need to be more transparent when posting positions and value professionalism more than personal relationships.

Advice to Management

Keep making changes that improve corporate culture. You made progress under Ted Torbeck ‘s leadership. Create a formal process for development within the company. Focus on meaningful mentoring opportunities and career path activities.

2. "Won't recommend Cincinnati Bell"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people doing the actual work are great people to work with.

Cons

Continuing layoffs, no flexible hours, unreasonable amount of hours without appreciation, don't care about employees

3. "Good pay, but little job security."

Current Employee - Communications Consultant in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Communications Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The compensation plan (although dynamic and constantly changing) is usually a great payout for the consultant. Retail hours are usually pretty terrible, but management does work with you to keep you as happy as possible with your schedule.

Cons

I feel as though the consultant should be empowered, but there is no information backing our business decisions because management does not make that information readily available. We constantly have to defend a company we believe in without having the numbers to back it.

Advice to Management

Share information with the people selling your product. We are at your mercy, and we are the people who are sharing the information with the consumer. We are the last people to find out news in the company. Also, if the focus if FiOptics, then get equipment that makes the FiOptics service ROCK! The network is by far the best network in the area, but the in home equipment is (9 times out of 10) the only issue the customer has.

5. "It is a good company for people who want to experience dynamic corporate culture"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Norwood, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Norwood, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company empowers the employees to initiate the projects, and they can drive the results by having enough autonomy.

Cons

There are lack of formal training opportunities and a good guidance of mentoring

Advice to Management

Provide more career advancement opportunities

6. "They have absolutely no regard for the value of a proven dependable, proficient employee when cutting cost."

Former Employee - Billing Verification & Payment Processing Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Bell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working for a contracting company as a CBT employee you don't have to deal with their upper managements lack of knowledge with regard to each employee's job responsibilities.

Cons

Continued relocation of employee's from place to place and unacceptable work environments. Upper managements main level of importance is finding ways to cut cost no matter how much an employee is valued, recommended, or how it will affect their internal or external customers & vendors.

Advice to Management

Take serious consideration to respecting immediate supervisors, co-workers, and internal and external customers opinions and recommendations as valuable information prior to down sizing departments.

7. "Get a lot of great experience."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a company that you will get a lot of great corporate experience. You are asked to take on a lot more responsibility then your own job description which gives you exposure to so many other corporate experiences.

Cons

Not a great culture. They are trying to change this but it is a very slow process. There is not a great work/personal life balance

Advice to Management

Build a culture that rewards people and makes them want to continue their career there.

8. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Bell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

established working network
    key player in a small market

Cons

Not a very aggressive company.
    Average pay scale.
    Not a technology forward company.
    Continuing education and career growth is not highly supported.
    Retirement and benefits are average.

Advice to Management

Look outside of your networking circle to recruit new talent.

"Great place to cut your teeth"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been treated very well here. Fair comensation for my work, great about merit based pay increases. Lots of work to do, and a lot of good people. The company is actually growing and developing new tech/offerings for it's clientele which is pretty exciting to see. Its actually becoming a better and better place to work since the CEO Jack Cassidy was replaced by Ted Torbeck.

Cons

Like many jobs there are a lot of politics involved in a lot of the departments. This seems to be related to quite a bit of acquisition that the company has been doing for several years now and while it is tapering out it still exists. Because of this there are times when projects really need to be started or completed and can't be due to resources being shuffled around various places.

10. "I believe in the products sold by Cincinnati Bell Telephone"

Former Employee - Help Desk Consultant in Norwood, OH
    Former Employee - Help Desk Consultant in Norwood, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Bell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The products and services provided by CBT is quality. The customer service is top notch.

Cons

The help desk consultants position was off shore to Mahaki, Philippines.

Advice to Management

Bring the jobs back to Cincinnati, OH

11. "The real story!"

Former Employee - Premise Tech in Moraine, OH
    Former Employee - Premise Tech in Moraine, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Bell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big company..Freedom, decent Health insurance, supplied good working tools!

Cons

Poor Union, Need more diversity, Lack of professional management!

Advice to Management

Pay attention to employee needs and concerns! Don't be so quick to judge a person based on the color of their skin! In corporate more Afro Americans in management!