Cincinnati Public Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Committed teachers and principals"

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Cincinnati Public Schools full-time

Pros

There are many veteran teachers who are incredibly committed, sometimes in difficult assignments. Supportive principals, especially at the elementary level.

Cons

Inconsistency of message, support, and procedures from district -level administration.

Advice to Management

Create a unified message of support for teachers and show it through actions and policies.

2. "Support Specialist"

Current Employee - Board of Education in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Board of Education in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Students are the best part.

Cons

Horrible administration. Incompetence is a norm. Constantly putting out fires. No promotional opportunities. No integrity. Demeaning work.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves, all of you. Start over.

3. "School psychologist"

I worked at Cincinnati Public Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pro include: Supportive group of psychologists, some administrative support, several opportunities to advance in your career, and the pay is great. RTI is moving along at this district in most buildings. If you can work here, you can work at any school district. Oh and benefits are excellent

Cons

Work load huge. This is a large urban school district with a lot of need in the special education department.

4. "longtime employee"

Former Employee - Assistant School Community Coordinator: Family Services Worker in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Public Schools (More than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot, excellent benefits, fair wage

Cons

Lots of nepotism. Real challenges with management. Lots of bureaucracy.

5. "Special Education Paraprofessional"

Former Employee - Special Education Paraprofessional in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Special Education Paraprofessional in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

I worked for at Gamble Montessori HS with the 11/12 team. I was a one-on-one IA. My coworkers were wonderful and supportive and genuinely cared about their students' education. The main office and secretaries were always helpful. I had medical benefits and union membership.

Cons

While you get paid a decent hourly ($15.24/hr for a college grad), the work week maxed out at 32.5 hours and that's not including all the unpaid school days off. That's fine, but not really enough to make a dent in school loans so I had a second job. Many of the other paras I talked to also had second jobs. Many schools can get pretty short-staffed like mine often was. When my student had early dismissal, I was often sent to fill in and sub for different classrooms. I commend substitute teachers because that's for the birds. I heard about the opening through a friend who was a teacher and got hired without ever seeing a job posting so I had no idea what to expect responsibility-wise. It took about a week or longer to figure it out, but it might not have been so jarring seeing everything on paper.

Advice to Management

It would be helpful for the team each para is working with has written objectives so everyone is aware of that individual's responsibilities.

6. "Dedicated Staff"

Current Employee - Intervention Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Intervention Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Public Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you are passionate about teaching...this is where you want to be. I've been with CPS 9 out of 16 years of teaching and it is, by far, the best district in Cincinnati. The salary is excellent, as well. If you want to change lives...this is the place to do it!

Cons

I think that administrators pick favorites amongst staff members and it creates unnecessary tensions between staff. The "cliques" are a big problem in many schools and good people/ great teachers leave our teaching staff because of these high school games.
    I also am disappointed with the low quality of paraprofessionals that are hired.

Advice to Management

Administrators should avoid causing division within their schools. I am always shocked that talented individuals are ignored and often ridiculed when they try to assert themselves. Allow others to lead committees and develop leadership qualities. So many gifted educators have little say in important school decisions.

7. "Intervention Specialist"

Current Employee - Teacher in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Teacher in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for CPS for 2 years and student taught at CPS for a half of year. Ultimately, there are some solid principals who respect their teachers and their are other schools (Shroder) that treat their teachers like garbage. It ultimately depends on the school. The school I work at is pretty enjoyable and I have a pretty decent work/life balance and solid pay for a person who is a few years out of college. The hours/time off is very nice. Also, the union will fight for you if need be.

Cons

The students come from very challenging environments and the student culture of CPS is very unrefined. The behaviors present by the students in many CPS schools is troubling.

8. "Teacher"

I have been working at Cincinnati Public Schools full-time

Pros

1. Great kids
    2. Great families
    3. Great coworkers
    4. Holidays off are nice
    5. Summer's off are also nice

Cons

1. Testing
    2. Testing
    3. Always 'innovating'/ jumping in bandwagons
    4. Abandoning initiatives before they have a chance to work
    5. Spinesless administrators

9. "School Psychologist- Great school district"

Current Employee - School Psychologist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - School Psychologist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Public Schools (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive Staff, great salary and awesome benefits.
    The psychologist staff always helps one another and the lead psychologists are so supportive and are great leaders

Cons

Some of the schools have a lot of need, but it's an urban school district so it's expected. We could always use more psychs in the district, but that's up to the funding available

Advice to Management

none

"Not a Good Place to Work - Beware"

Pros

This district has some phenomenal principals, teachers and paraprofessionals that are committed to the children of Cincinnati. They volunteer there own time and money to support the best interest of the kids. Secondly, the health care benefits are expensive but good for industry standards.

Cons

The district is absolutely full of incompetent people at the very top. As a taxpayer knowing what I know, there needs to be some accountability. The support staff at Burnet Ave are useless due to ineffective processes and procedures. Money is repeatedly wasted. Training lacks consistency and expertise. Much of the committed staff work overtime hours to do an impossible job and are not paid for it. This is a borderline wage and hour compliance problem. The unions take dues and do absolutely nothing. The district buys high priced systems like Kronos and are unable to implement them. Shame on them. They made payroll mistakes in 2014 and employees called and reported it at the time, yet they failed to conduct any due diligence. The payroll dept stated the checks were correct and the employees who reported it were wrong. Now, they were caught by the state auditors in 2016 and want employees to return a week of pay from 2014. I, like many employees worked many unpaid hours for this district and they want me to reimburse them. Unbelievable. Stay away. Those at the top are unethical and far removed from the community schools who suffer daily as a result of the processes coming from the top down.

Advice to Management

Step aside and hire people who are business minded and competent. Find professionals who are able to manage money effectively and implement processes and procedures that produce smooth school operations with built in accountability measurements.