Cinemark Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Zoradi

Pros
Cons
  • Pays minimum wage for starting position (in 62 reviews)

• Occasionally work on the weekends and holidays (in 18 reviews)

"Cinemark Support Center- CSC- Awful Experience."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX

I worked at Cinemark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free Movies, Discounted Popcorn and Drink Tubs, Random gifts (posters, keychains, bags, etc)
    Company Events: Fun, used to be the same all the time but they started switching it up and making it more enjoyable. We are not privy to most of the events from HQ because we are treated as outsiders.

Cons

Pay: Not great, well below market for T1 and T2 support at other companies. They say that the free movie passes makes up for the low pay, however whether you volunteer to earn your pass or not, your pay stays at the same rate. Meaning, if you are not a movie watcher, you cannot forgo the pass for better compensation, which seems incredibly cheap of them. They base your pay on incoming skills and raises after testing within the company as well as a strong emphasis on competition to be top agent.
    The competition may seem like a good idea to get better work ethics to come out in some, only fosters hatred for the rest, it makes agents hostile and gossipy so that they can shine above the others while bringing down their competition.

Time off: Breaks and Lunches are never consistent. You will not get a break or lunch unless you have met a goal or waited for the person that came before you, and if they fall behind, you do as well. You are not allowed to eat at your desk either so if you have a health condition, like diabetes, you may fall into a coma if you are having to wait for others to go to lunch or come back. Its quite dangerous and they don't seem to realize that they can be sued for this.
    Requesting time is a struggle because they are constantly either understaffed or required to make everyone work for certain dates. Don't ever think about going to see family during those peak times, it will not happen.
    Try to not get sick in the enclosed rooms full of other people that are not allowed to take off or don't have time to take off, because sick time is limited and once it's used, you are essentially suspended every time you are gone longer than 2 days until HR approves you to come back. They will try their best to fire you if you are sick and don't go see a doctor.
    So everyone just comes to work sick and gets others sick because stations are shared and everything is enclosed and not disinfected regularly.

Management: Management does a poor job of hiring and promoting. Management overall does a poor job, and acts more like stubborn children than someone competent and helpful.Promoting friends and relatives over those that actually perform above the rest.
    Management tend to hold grudge, show blatant favoritism, make inappropriate comments essentially making people feel harassed or embarrassed. They act like children but they treat the staff like infants.
    Going to HR never helps because the management team fabricates or fires back with whatever gossip they learned whether it's true or not.
    Relationships: Making friends is easy, making enemies is even easier. There are many inappropriate relationships and/or comments that transpired on the company property at any given time. The highest up seems to be aware and turns a blind eye, or is best friends with many of the staff as well.

Work-life balance: There is hardly any work-life balance. You work, and you are expected to cover shifts if someone else calls in and doesn't work. You are required to work on the weekends and the "busy" theatre nights which is Thurs, Fri, Sat. You do get off two days or 3 depending on the shift, but don't expect those days to be consecutive unless it is during the early -middle part of the week.

Advice to Management

HR needs to come in and investigate and actually watch the management for a month.
    Fire most, keep some (training team, select few from other departments.)
    Actually treat your staff like intelligent adults instead of children that need supervision 24/7.

2. "Poor Middle Management"

Former Employee - Usher, Cashier, Box Office Associate in Valparaiso, IN
    Former Employee - Usher, Cashier, Box Office Associate in Valparaiso, IN

I worked at Cinemark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy part time job, free movies

Cons

Horrible management structure, lack of oversight or accountability, corporate decisions that come top down without practical knowledge of implementation (usually terrible), min wage

Advice to Management

Raise your minimum wage to increase quality of applicant pool/extremely high turnaround

"Horrific Work Environment"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Cinemark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free movies, usually flexible schedule, and promotions can easily be obtained at the theater level. The work is fairly consistent and predictable.

Cons

Horrific upper management and poorly run corporate office. Region leaders are verbally abusive and theater general managers are often aloof and unapproachable. The pay is insulting. Cinemark does nothing in efforts to retain good employees. The company relies heavily on bullying tactics by constantly issuing counseling reports to employees and firing people constantly rather than trying to resolve concerns. The environment is toxic and Cinemark's HR department is unresponsive and fails to follow through. Cinemark has no respect for thier employees - you are replaceable.
    Run. Run as far away from this toxic company as you can.

Advice to Management

You are failing at your job. Stop the micromangent, pay better wages, and insist that a positive work environment is maintained. Stop being so worried about audits. Focus on the employees and your Guests. You hired us to run your theaters, not get out of our way and let us do our jobs.

"Concessionaire"

Current Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Folsom, CA
    Current Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Folsom, CA

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Easy job duties
    -Flexible with school

Cons

-Poor management
    -Disorganized
    -Weekly hours vary greatly
    -Employees are thrown under the bus
    -Rude customer
    -Overall AWFUL place to work

Advice to Management

Realize you need your staff and treat them with respect. Stick up for them when they enforce YOUR policies.

"Cinemark in Boca"

Current Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free movies, easy job, no responsibility

Cons

Management, low pay, no advancement, customers

Advice to Management

Respect your employees, give hours to people who are willing to work, hire managers who want to work, and have a spine when it comes to customers.

6. "Worst cinema company"

Current Employee - Floor Staff in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Floor Staff in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule, to an extant

Cons

immature managers, lazy supervisors, annoying coworkers. Despite our recent raises, most of us (workers that have been working for less than a year) still make less than Mcdonald's workers, despite selling tons and tons of overpriced popcorn and pointless other snacks that make alot of revenue.

Advice to Management

Please improve your evaluation taking skills, you guys sure do spend alot of time staring at us to not even know who the hard workers are.

Don't bother helping us during a concessions rush, you guys are slow and simply take up space causing us to bump into you guys.

7. "BEWARE"

Former Employee - Usher, Cashier, Box Office Associate in Hanover, MD
    Former Employee - Usher, Cashier, Box Office Associate in Hanover, MD

I worked at Cinemark part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, free movie tickets

Cons

Minimum wage for crazy hours and hard work, managers expect a lot from you, favoritism.

Advice to Management

No favorites

8. "Awful if Disabled"

Former Employee - Concessionist in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Concessionist in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

Acceptable benefit and flexible schdule.

Cons

I was often left alone, was often told I couldn't treat my diabetes until our rushes were gone and even got fired for a few weeks because I was in the hospital. The hours are crazy and sporadic, you can't expect more than 10 cents a raise and the customers are awful (even more so when you can't do anything for them).

Advice to Management

Learn how to better accommodate employees with disabilities.

9. "Nice."

Former Employee - Cashier in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Cashier in Anchorage, AK

Pros

Really fun and upbeat very quick to learn things

Cons

You get off later then your normal set time to get off

10. "This was a truly trying experience."

Former Employee - Usher/Concessionist/Box Office in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Usher/Concessionist/Box Office in Arlington, TX

I worked at Cinemark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment can be fun, & the movies are great.

Cons

The management staff appeared extremely incompetent, & we frequently lost our employee privileges due to improper training of new hires.

Advice to Management

Listen to your seasoned employees, do not let management staff walk all over hourly employees & watch your managers more carefully for theft/harrassment issues. Often managers will display other signs of instability prior to an adverse event.