Cinemark Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 30, 2017

1.0
Mark Zoradi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free movies is a grea t benefit (in 437 reviews)

• Free movies and popcorn is also a plus (in 36 reviews)

1. "Usher"

Current Employee - Usher, Cashier, Box Office Associate in Bloomingdale, IL
    Current Employee - Usher, Cashier, Box Office Associate in Bloomingdale, IL

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Free movies
    -50% discount
    -Make good friends

Cons

-Clean dirty cups from garbage cans
    -Horrible management
    -Terrible employee treatment
    -Awful pay
    -Gross establishment

Advice to Management

Stop thinking that you’re above your employees and come to work on time.

2. "One of worst companies on-line"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Cinemark as an intern

Pros

Nice theaters, Otherwise you are the worst company ever.

Cons

Con sis the right word:
    Con #1: Bought 14 ticket and did not get the 10% discount for bundling tickets,
    Con #2: Immediately after buying opera tickets, you send me a phony bill for $33
                      to the movie "Gifted" in April, I did not order these tickets
    Con #3: Your agents are dumber than dirt. Hand phone to managers will also are
                       no help.
    Con #4; Promise to get your "refund system" fixed today and will call you right after.
    Con #5: Being held on hold for over 40 minutes w/no picket or picket and hanguop when agent realizes I want help.

Advice to Management

Seems representative behavior is top down, I suggest you start again with all Monday meetings. Your company is truly a total con with horrif cusomer relations.

3. "Assistant Manager"

I have been working at Cinemark full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Free popcorn, free movies, scheduling is flexible

Cons

Everything if you want a workplace that is going to respect you, and compensate you for your hard work. The pay is garbage, literally so bad McDonalds starts off higher in town than our management team. I would have went to AMC years ago if i would have known how much better they're to their employees. The general managers get a higher bonus if they make their employees do dangerous things, instead of hiring trained help that knows what they're doing.

Advice to Management

Do a rate your boss thing for all of your assistant managers, and start asking them how your stores are running since they are there the majority of the time.

"Unsafe environment and unfair punishments"

Former Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Spring, TX
    Former Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Spring, TX

I worked at Cinemark part-time

Pros

Some positions involve lifting a lot of heavy things, so your arms' strength will improve.

Cons

Most of the managers were only a couple years older than me, yet talked to me as condescendingly as if I was a small child. I had school the day after my shift but I was kept 3 extra hours and ended up sleeping through the first day of an extremely important class. I was one of the only female ushers, but they would make me bring big buckets of trash to the trash compactor in the back where it was very dark. Often I would find myself, at 2 am, in the rain, shoveling moldy garbage alone. They specifically told me we had a buddy system for that, but it was a lie as well as many other rules we neglected. Sanitary conditions were unstable, because the managers sometimes had us skip a step in a sanitary process, especially in concessions. It was the worst job I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing.

Advice to Management

Don't make the new employee a scapegoat for the issues and mistakes older employees make. If an employee expresses to you that they are experiencing sexual harrassment, please don't ignore it and make us work together even more.

5. "Unprofessional, Unorganized, No Training, Terrible Pay"

Former Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Hurst, TX
    Former Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Hurst, TX

I worked at Cinemark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free movie tickets but only 2 per movie and you have to be one of the people watching the movie at the time you get the tickets. No more pros.

Cons

- unorganized management: there was little to no training. I was hired for a specific shift and they threw me on Concession with barely any training. Often, a manager would tell me how to do one thing and then when I do it that way, employees told me to do it another way. With over 13 managers on board, I would’ve thought someone would always be around to answer a question but nope. Totally had to wing 98% of everything. Including handling money not even 10 minutes after “training.”

- unprofessional: there are no boundary lines between employees and some managers. Obvious favoritism and they’ll give you the shifts no one wants if you’re new and not a favorite. If you actually come to do your job, your hard work goes unnoticed, but if you mess up, they surely take the time to tell you. I witnessed a group of employees telling a manager how stoned and drunk they were planning to get after work. You can be friendly and professional at the same time. This team obviously struggles with maintaining professional, friendly relationships that aren’t lewd and could make others feel uncomfortable.

Cinemark hires a bunch of ignorant people, most of which are in high school, some of which are just old and ignorant, and doesn’t train them. They claim they value teamwork and all that (all jobs do) but what they value is how much they can use you for at 7.25. This is a very successful and profitable company. They can afford to bump up their pay. Some of the people there were decent and helpful but others just ignore you and pretend like you’re a bother to them for being new and learning things and actually doing your job rather than standing around. Other employees treat you strange if you actually work and try to keep yourself busy and productive (ex. Sweeping the floor in concession when there’s no customers).

There was a manager at my location that quit because she had a sexual relationship with an employee and decided to step down. I was immediately told the first day of being there that there was a ton of employee and manager (people that are supposed to know better) drama. No positive encouragement, just let you know when you’ve done something wrong. Can be tedious about stupid things like what kind of sweater you wear, stupid things that have nothing to do with how you perform at your job.

Food: food should be free with that terrible pay. Yeah, concession basically keeps the theater lights on but the food is expensive enough. It should be free or dirt cheap for employees. Instead, it’s half off 30 minutes before your shift or 30 minutes after your shift or during your break. (Breaks: 6+ hour shift, 30 minute unpaid, less than 6 hours you get a paid 15 minute break).

Concession employees don’t wash their hands while handling food and weren’t told to do so either. Sure, sanitizing your hands and wearing gloves while handling peoples food is common sense, but management doesn’t enforce it. Gross.

If you’re looking for hours, just know that they’re always hiring new people and more people means hours are limited. Always hiring. Even if you apply for a specific shift position (ex. Box Office), they’ll just put you wherever on whatever shift one of the favorites doesn’t want to work.

Anyone can get hired here. Anyone. If you’re looking for a first job, consider checking out other places. Odds are those other places will probably be paying you more than $7.25 and might actually be worth your time.

Absolutely terrible all around.

Advice to Management

- learn how to set professional boundary lines with employees
    - increase the pay to at least $8.50
    - work on team building skills to be welcoming and helpful to new employees
    - actually train people and make sure they feel confident enough to do their job the correct way
    - send off the weekly schedule at a decent time so people can know what they’re working more than a few days ahead of their shift.

6. "Cinemark; Cook at ‘The Studio’"

Former Employee - Cook in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Cook in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Cinemark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free movie tickets
    Free popcorn
    Free drinks
    Good commute
    It’s nice extras but not worth it to me personally.
    There are no other pros

Cons

Managers were unprofessional
    Too much drama
    Too little pay
    Stocking sucks
    Odd hours
    Don’t pay enough for the work you do

Advice to Management

Hire more responsible managers.

"Unprofessional"

I worked at Cinemark part-time

Pros

Fellow staff members were very friendly and accepting to new employees.

Cons

Almost no training. My first day I waiting by concessions for half an hour waiting for one of the managers to get me for training. Finally another employee noticed and brought me in and showed me around. Still no one showed up so everyone just had me stand by and watch. When a manager finally did show up they came over and yelled at me for just standing around.
     Complete disregard for what I told them my schedule conflicts were during my interview. I told them because I was in school and did a lot with school that school was my first priority and I could only work 12 hours a week at most and was told it was fine I'd only be scheduled one day a week. My second week I was scheduled over 24 hours and I could not do it so I called about it and was fired.

Advice to Management

Actually show up for training. Don't hire someone if they're schedule is an issue and just think they'll go along with it.

8. "Don't"

Former Employee - Manager in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Boulder, CO

I worked at Cinemark (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free Movies are a decent plus

Cons

Everything is very bad here.

Advice to Management

Don't treat your employees as commodities

9. "sinemark"

Pros

I got paid for being there

Cons

Very little training for a stressful job.
    unprofessional management style.

10. "Not good at all"

I worked at Cinemark part-time

Pros

No pros and management were rude

Cons

Management were rude and played favoritism