Cinemark Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 18, 2017

2.0
Mark Zoradi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free movies is a grea t benefit (in 394 reviews)

• Staff was like family; free popcorn and drinks on break (in 44 reviews)

Cons

1. "Usher: chill job, sucky hours"

Current Employee - Usher in Union City, CA
    Current Employee - Usher in Union City, CA

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The workers here are really chill, you'll make some good friends out of this job. I can build relationships with anyone here bc everyone is so friendly & laid back, that's what i like about it. The job itself is pretty cool though, you learn things about the theatres itself, it's pretty interesting.

Cons

Hours. You barely get any hours, you sorta have to fight for them. I don't like that they keep hiring and then they would cut people's shifts and send them home when it's not that busy. Like why keep hiring then cut shifts? I don't think so.

I'd be happier having at least 4/5 days a week scheduled to work so that when we get paid every 2 weeks, i'm happy with how much i earned the time i have worked within the time being.

Advice to Management

Please work on the hours given to the workers even if it's just part time. It would be nice to have more working days than days off. What's the point in having a job when you barely work? Don't get me wrong but that's the only problem, for Ushers at least.

2. "OK"

I worked at Cinemark full-time

Pros

Great pay for high school/part time college student.

Cons

You will ALWAYS be working. Every holiday.

3. "Customer Specialist"

I worked at Cinemark full-time

Pros

Great intensives plus the people were nice

Cons

No reliable schedule not fun

4. "OK. Needs to work on management."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Cinemark part-time

Pros

-free movies
    -50% discount on concessions during your break
    -friendly co-workers and bosses in my area

Cons

-low pay - minimum wage
    -strict on attendance - will ask for doctors note every time you try to call in sick.
    -took a while for some people to be trained in different areas.
    -sometimes schedule management will try to schedule you at times you have already said you are unavailable.
    -some employees aren't trained well-thoroughly by assistant managers or are either passed to other regular employees to train.

Advice to Management

-Please be more considerate to employees' availabilities. We understand that the necessity of a workforce is needed due to the theatre's busy times, but the availability form is a contract signed by both the employee and schedule management; a contract stating the times the employee has agreed to work and that management agrees to uphold. Employees also have other important events in their lives, not only their job.
    -Be more aware of where people have been trained and not have. Going into this job, we were told that we are trained in multiple departments in a matter of time; some people have been working here for 5+ months and have not been trained anywhere other than their initial department.
    -New employees should be trained more thoroughly by staff. This not only affects the business, but the employees confidence of working accurately and efficiently.

5. "Good startup position for college students"

Former Employee - Cook/Usher in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Cook/Usher in Toledo, OH

I worked at Cinemark (More than a year)

Pros

- Easy job
    - Fun place to work at
    - Good startup for college students

Cons

- Management can favor some people over others
    - Customers can be rude
    - Have a bad attitude towards employees

"Cinemark Review"

Former Employee - Concessionist in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Concessionist in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Cinemark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free movies, free popcorn and soda during shift breaks, discount food during shift breaks, fun work, and I got to talk about movies.

Cons

My coworkers were stupid, and the management staff was ridiculously stupid. There was such a lack of communication which made it hard to effectively get the job done. Not to mention most managers took advantage of their power as managers. A lot of managers played favorites, were self contradictory, and were not open to criticism. The only way to move up and be respected was through personal friendships to upper management or sucking up to the GM.

Advice to Management

Communication is key. Get rid of your personal grudges to make the theatre function properly. This is supposed to be a professional environment, so treat it that way. Talk to each other and more importantly share that with the regular crew members so everyone can be on the same page. It will help the day to day functions operate more smoothly.

"Don't Choose if You Live On Your Own"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Cuyahoga Falls, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Cuyahoga Falls, OH

I have been working at Cinemark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The free movies are a plus, but that would be about it.

Cons

The management is horrible. They will not like you if you come into work and do your job. You have to make friends here. The pay is horrible for all the work that they want you to do. The general manager will not do anything but relay tasks on to other managers.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay.

"If you like to be a punching bag."

Former Employee - Technical Support in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Frisco, TX

I worked at Cinemark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, cheap hair dresser and hair products, they pay you when you work and give you training.

Cons

Screams and shouts are common in corridors and offices.
    If you have a need to go to the bathroom be prepared to disclose what you are going to do and to receive a " no you are not allowed" answer and/or with a remark in front of your coworkers.
    You are limited to drink only in the cup that they allow, otherwise, you cannot drink anything while working. Eating is not allowed while working.
    Memos are distributed that while in the bridge you are not allowed to laugh.
    Your workspace is shared, meaning you do not have a table that is yours, each day you will seat in one space, and some days you will not have a place to work, so you will have to wait and not get paid for it.
    Each shift has about 2-3 supervisors that have different orders and when they are conflicting you are the one that has to figure it out what to do.
    Management watches your every move with cameras throughout the facilities from their homes.
    Uniform regulations are strict and enforced at the management will.

Advice to Management

Sensitivity training, management training, value hard work over gossip and who is protecting your job because you are not competent enough to maintain it by your own merits.

"Would not work here again"

Former Employee - Usher/Concessions in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Usher/Concessions in Lakewood, CO

I worked at Cinemark part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free movies, free popcorn when working, somewhat flexible schedule, great way to meet new people

Cons

Management can be just plain rude, favoritism, no staff appreciation whatsoever, laborious, constant staff turnover, hard to schedule days off

Advice to Management

Respecting your staff a little more might make them stick around a little longer and actually work a lot harder. I would have quit immediately if this hadn't been my first job.

10. "Usher"

Current Employee - Usher in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Usher in Katy, TX

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get multiple breaks in between movies
    Watch movies during free time
    Great friends
    Meet new people everyday
    Very leisure
    Keeps you busy

Cons

Constantly rushed and stressed out
    Underpaid
    Mangers are not helpful nor understanding
    Most customers are rude to you
    They overwork you

Advice to Management

Stop stressing us out