Cinemark Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Zoradi

Cons

1. "Beneficial Job To Have"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free Movies (sometimes), flexible hours, flexible department placement, okay staff

Cons

Low pay for the work put in, management could promote more positivity, not a lot of rewards.

Advice to Management

promoting more positivity, rewarding staff verbally/promotionally, communication

2. "Alright first job to have"

Current Employee - Cashier in Valley View, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier in Valley View, OH

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers
    Not too difficult workdays
    Flexible schedule for students

Cons

Minimum wage pay to start

Advice to Management

There are chances to become managers and crew leads.

3. "Concessions Crew Member"

Former Employee - Concessions in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Concessions in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Cinemark part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I personally joined for the free movies, which you do get in unlimited quantity, only opening weekend is usually off limits to reserve room for paying customers.
    It teaches you a good work ethic. I never thought I would have to work well past 1 AM some nights cleaning down popcorn machines, but it puts a lot into perspective when you interact with anyone who works in some type of food service. You do bond with your fellow workers

Cons

Underpaid for the work you do and towards the end of my tenure, corporate started trying to institute draconian policies to save money because they hated the fact California was raising the minimum wage. New equipment such as popcorn and ice machines was very much needed, but the budget only allocated money for basic repairs so at one point a popcorn machine was breaking every other week which wound up lowering popcorn sales.
    Some managers are better than others. One in particular felt it below him to actually manage until things started really going sideways on busy nights.

Advice to Management

It's a hard job working nights at the movies, pay accordingly as other companies like Chipotle and In n Out do. Buy new equipment, don't be cheap.

5. "a good 1st job, and a good job for working while going through college"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Cinemark part-time

Pros

CineMark actually treats its staff better than the other 2 major cinema chains, but there is still a lot scope for improvement

Cons

Film buyers who consistently do not get us the movies we need.

Advice to Management

Need to do more thorough beta testing of changes before applying them across the company

6. "A Great Job for Students"

Former Employee - Usher/Concessions in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Usher/Concessions in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Cinemark part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As a non-managerial employee, you have an incredible amount of schedule flexibility as long as you're willing to work at least one weekend day (Friday, Saturday, Sunday). Customers, even upset customers, are usually easy to interact with. Free movies for employees provided there are seats remaining. Some potential to increase hourly wage. I started at ~$5/hr and finished around ~$9/hr. This is a stellar job if you're trying to supplement your income on weekends, or have spending money while going to school. As an usher, management will leave you alone to do your job, until you mess up or ask for help. Micromanagement was fairly uncommon and even though, for many employees, this was their first job, they were trusted with the responsibility of getting their work done. This leads to employees who don't hate being at work and is definitely a positive.

Cons

It can be difficult to get enough shifts during the less busy times of year. It's part time, and short of making management, there really isn't anything full time available. Your schedule will change every week. Management varies from theater to theater. A friend of mine worked at a Cinemark theater in a different state and had a bad experience, while I had a 90% positive experience. Certain jobs like concessions and the box office can get tiring for people who need more mental stimulation. Room for advancement is there, but the lack of positions means many employees move onto something else. It is corporate and all that that entails. Nevertheless, if I could live off the wages, I would gladly work there again.

Advice to Management

Make corporate employees work 2-4 weeks a year as a regular employee in an average theater. This will bridge the disconnect between corporate and the individual theaters.

7. "Concessionist/Usher/Box Office"

I have been working at Cinemark full-time

Pros

Friendly, career-building, mostly positive experience.

Cons

It is tough to separate from other employees due to the nature of their position in life. High schoolers sometimes don't really care as much as they should.

8. "Good & Fun Place To Work"

Current Employee - Concessionist in Union City, CA
    Current Employee - Concessionist in Union City, CA

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No micromanaging, managers will treat you with same level of respect, always something to do will make time go by fast

Cons

There week starts on a Friday so they can literally put you to work heading straight into the weekend

Advice to Management

n/a

"Good part time job"

I have been working at Cinemark part-time

Pros

Free movies
    Easy job most of the time

Cons

Can be Stressful during busy season

Advice to Management

Have less double standards when it comes to enforcing policies

"Assistant Manager of the Usher Department, cleaning, maintenance, etc."

I worked at Cinemark part-time

Pros

Great flexibility with school schedules, 401k options, fun working environment, free movies is always a perk, great environment to work and grow in.

Cons

There were some long hours, typically on weekends and holidays. Few holidays off.

Advice to Management

The management I had was amazing! I think that at times we were forced to understaff for specific movies and that was because of prior projections that we had to schedule off of.

11. "Great First Job"

I have been working at Cinemark part-time

Pros

Its a great summer job and is great as a youngster's first job when you turn 16 and want to get a free movie no matter what!

Cons

It does get boring here and there when its not a busy season for movies, and as an usher, you MUST have a strong stomach for it!

Advice to Management

Don't be too harsh about being flexible, because being flexible shows that the employee wants to do more.