Cinemark Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Mark Zoradi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free movies is a grea t benefit (in 430 reviews)

• Staff was like family; free popcorn and drinks on break (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage (more than likely) (in 67 reviews)

• There were some long hours, typically on weekends and holidays (in 23 reviews)

"Horrible Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Usher and Connectionist in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Usher and Connectionist in Chico, CA

Pros

The other employees are good at commiserating with one another over how incompetent the management is.

Cons

This place is a joke.
    The pay is horrendously low and the raises are between 11-20 cents... and those only happen once every six months (if you're luck). It's almost insulting how small the increment is.
    Corporate doesn't pay for any employees to receive emergency training (CPR, heart attacks, seizures) and would rather us stand there and let the person die, than lend a helping hand to someone suffering from a medical emergency. This is especially astonishing when you realized that thousands of people frequent the theater each week.
    Starting pay is either dollars. That's less than the price of a small water and small popcorn at the concession stand.
    With the amount of riff-raf that comes through that theater to see films, the employees deserve a helluva lot more in terms of wages. Corporate, get off your greedy butt and send some of your profits towards the people that are making you that money.

Advice to Management

Replace the general manager in the Chico location. She's 23 and still has the maturity and social prowess of a 13 year old.

2. "Cinemark SUCKS"

Current Employee - Box Office Cashier and Projectionist
    Current Employee - Box Office Cashier and Projectionist

Pros

ONLY good thing about working there is free movies.. and that is onlywhen they don't take them away.

Cons

very unorganized. very unfair. management is horrible. dont except a pay raise even if you have worked for them for years. dont care about their employees at all. most managers favor their friends...dont work there any job is probably better than working for cinemark.

Advice to Management

stop acting like you are 14 years old. take your job more serious. leave the drama at home

"Your just a number not a person"

Current Employee - Box Office Cashier and Projectionist in McKinney, TX
    Current Employee - Box Office Cashier and Projectionist in McKinney, TX

Pros

Work with a good group of employees

Cons

12hr shifts during the summer and holidays. No recognition for doing your job good

Advice to Management

care more for employees

"The coworkers are way more supportive then all the ignorant managers"

Former Employee - Concessions and Cashier in Union City, CA
    Former Employee - Concessions and Cashier in Union City, CA

Pros

easy job
    free movies and popcorn
    most coworkers are cool
    some managers are alright
    simple time punch in
    custodians are great to speak with they know everything

Cons

if you close you have to clean up
    few coworkers are back stabbers
    managers are mostly kids
    some customers can be a total pain in the neck
    running to the back to check the sodas or get more popcorn seeds can be time consuming

Advice to Management

Using the friend system in a business really isn't the smartest thing to do what kind of a business is based off of a management where a bunch of kids that are best friends help there friends go up the ladder and all none friends get fired?

5. "The biggest mistake of my life."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Boynton Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Boynton Beach, FL

I worked at Cinemark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best part about working for a movie theater is Free Movies, and great friends.

Cons

Lack of motivation from management, "Head hunting," No room for growth

"Get out while you can."

Former Employee - Usher/Concessionist/Projectionist in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Usher/Concessionist/Projectionist in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Cinemark part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Free movies
    - 1 polite manager

Cons

- Poor management, with terrible attitudes.
    - Awful hours
    - Terrible scheduling
    - No concern for physical/emotional health.
    - Mentally straining.
    - Minimum wage
    - Write ups for small things, like "Swinging your broom in an odd way".
    - Management does not care about personal issues. If you can't come in to work, you either need to find someone to cover your shift, or come in with a doctor's note. No leniency.
    - No regard for your sleep. They will schedule you two 8 hour shifts, with a four hour break in between. Not even considered a split shift.
    - No added benefits.
    - No proper training. You are trained by the newest batch of hires.
    - Cinemark constantly loses employees. They re-hire new employees every month, because of their extreme losses. No one really stays more than a year, at most.
    -Unattractive and unflattering uniforms.
    - Don't get to pre-screen movies.

Advice to Management

Overall, Cinemark 16 is a terrible place to work. Who would have thought that such a low paying job, would provide this much stress? The ONLY positive aspect of this job, are the free movies.

And you don't even get to see them, because you're on probation all of the time for minuscule write-ups.

7. "Horrible Working Conditions, Stay Away!"

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Needless to say everything in here is unbearable.

Cons

Uncooperative Management and Unfriendly CoWorkers!

Advice to Management

I've been working here for a month, and the environment is awful. Management doesn't even know your name, and they expect you to know everything in a week i.e. if you're working at the concession stand you have to know how to operate the popcorn machine within a day. I happen to work at the concession stand on Christmas day, and the manager told one Hispanic worker in Spanish that I wasn't doing a good job, unknowingly he didn't know that I understood him.
    Also the co-workers are only friendly to the people they know, so I recommend management to be a little more friendly and get to know employees names, instead of pointing at them and barking orders at them.

"Can be fun for a while"

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Popcorn and Movie Passes. Also if you were employed for a year, student employees can apply for a scholarship.

Cons

Unprofessional Management, and unfriendly workers. limited hours(about six hours a week)

Advice to Management

I've been working as an usher for three months at the Tanforan Mall located in San Bruno, CA and thought it'd be an excellent experience for a college student, but boy was I wrong. Management treats employees without respect and expects them to be familiar with concession stands within one day of training; an example of this was during Christmas Day, I had to operate the popcorn machine for the first time and when I burnt the popcorn, an assistant manager took over and told an Hispanic employee that I didn't know what I was doing in his native tongue. The Hispanic employee than tried to console me, by telling me that I was doing a "good job"; fortunately I am educated and realize that the employee was trying to send a positive reinforcement message and I responded with a smile. Unknowingly to both employees, I understood what the manager said in Spanish, since I took a beginning conversational Spanish class last semester. Either way what the manager did was unprofessional.

Also it is hard to impress management, no matter how hard an employee works, he/she will never get recognition. I guess its because majority of the managers are Filipinos and their culture is different from the Western Culture, but they do give preferential treatment to the ones who can speak Tagalog(Filipino), I should know because I am a Filipino American yet cannot converse in Tagalog, but can understand the language. Back to my point, if you cannot speak in Tagalog they'll management(Filipino Managers) will gossip behind your back; I've experience this because when I entered the break room about ten Filipino Managers were gossiping about employees and when I had to check my schedule, one of them gave me a stern expression like I wasn't supposed to be there, as I left the room after checking my work schedule one of the managers giggled behind my back. One more point about the management team at this location is that if you are an unfavorable employee they'll cut your hours to six hours a week, and if that unfavorable employee is scheduled to work on the next day, he/she will be notified that their shift is cut; yet for the favorable employees they'll have a twenty hour work week.

My advice to upper management especially to the Filipino Managers who works at this location, is to treat your employees with the utmost respect, and to give constructive feedback to employees. Remember constructive feedback is a tool for employees to improve at their field. Lastly give the unfavorable employees at least ten hours a week, so that he/she may have an adequate paycheck to pay for tuition and books for school.

9. "Very bad, underemployment for the desperate"

Current Employee - Usher/Customer Service in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Usher/Customer Service in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None, free movies, free crappy popcorn and diabetes water (soda)

Cons

take all the crap of a minimum wage job, add impersonal coworkers, management, and inability to offer hours to new employees.

Advice to Management

doesn't matter, you will do it the same way for eons to come

"Awful company to work for"

Former Employee - Concessionist in West Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Concessionist in West Jordan, UT

I worked at Cinemark part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-You can do a crappy job and remain employed.
    -Free movies for you and one other person.
    -Discounts on food while working.
    -Some coworkers can be fun to work with/get to socialize.
    -Easy to get days off.

Cons

-Very slow at firing crappy employees
    -Customers can be rude and whine about prices, etc.
    -Pay is terrible for a company that makes millions in pure profit every year.
    -It takes 2 years to get one dollar more in hourly wage and that is if you score perfect on every one of your evaluations.
    -If you have worked for the company for years and the minimum wage goes up, too bad! All of your raises will be wiped out and new hires will probably be making more or the same amount of money as you.
    -Management will lie to you in order to get you to upsale, etc. (My theatre promised us $25 to $50 bucks each and/or a party for reaching upsaleing goals which we did. Got the $25 but never recieved a party or an extra $25 with the rest of the money specifically set aside for reaching our goal. When I brought this up with managment they suspended me for 2 weeks for being ungrateful). (Another time they threatened to fire employees who did the least upsaleing yet nothing happened.)
    -Hours are not based on performance or seniority so if you have worked there for five years and want 30 hours too bad; new and/or crappy employees will take some of your hours.
    -Deliberately overhire in order to make things more convienient for themselves.
    -Never bother to do your evaluations on time so you have to wait extra months in order to get a raise.
    -Don't get paid more money for busier days or number of sales you make.
    -Tedious rules constantly get in the way. For example, if you work a 10 hour shift you have to take two 15 minute breaks seperately. You cannot take them together which makes it hard to eat.
    -They view you as 100% replaceable and not a valuable asset to a team.

Advice to Management

Try to actually do your job (such as evals on time, not goofing around) and work on building positive relationships with the staff instead of throwing hissy fits that cut moral and make people hate working there. Also fire the bad employees! You need better regulation of your workforce so the good people don't have to work with idiots.