Cinemark Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Zoradi

Cons

1. "A Great Job for Students"

Former Employee - Usher/Concessions in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Usher/Concessions in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Cinemark part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As a non-managerial employee, you have an incredible amount of schedule flexibility as long as you're willing to work at least one weekend day (Friday, Saturday, Sunday). Customers, even upset customers, are usually easy to interact with. Free movies for employees provided there are seats remaining. Some potential to increase hourly wage. I started at ~$5/hr and finished around ~$9/hr. This is a stellar job if you're trying to supplement your income on weekends, or have spending money while going to school. As an usher, management will leave you alone to do your job, until you mess up or ask for help. Micromanagement was fairly uncommon and even though, for many employees, this was their first job, they were trusted with the responsibility of getting their work done. This leads to employees who don't hate being at work and is definitely a positive.

Cons

It can be difficult to get enough shifts during the less busy times of year. It's part time, and short of making management, there really isn't anything full time available. Your schedule will change every week. Management varies from theater to theater. A friend of mine worked at a Cinemark theater in a different state and had a bad experience, while I had a 90% positive experience. Certain jobs like concessions and the box office can get tiring for people who need more mental stimulation. Room for advancement is there, but the lack of positions means many employees move onto something else. It is corporate and all that that entails. Nevertheless, if I could live off the wages, I would gladly work there again.

Advice to Management

Make corporate employees work 2-4 weeks a year as a regular employee in an average theater. This will bridge the disconnect between corporate and the individual theaters.

2. "Projectionist"

Former Employee - Projectionist in Ventura, CA
    Former Employee - Projectionist in Ventura, CA

I worked at Cinemark part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cinemark has the ultimate flexible schedule available out there. This is golden for those in college. The primary work days are weekends, so during the week is practically optional.

Cons

The management, depending on your location will make or break your experience. It will be the difference of staying a longer term, or running for your life. Customers are also a very particular, and anyone who works in customer service of any kind will know what I mean.

Advice to Management

Be fair. Be mature. Talk to your employees. And at least compliment those who work really hard every shift.

"Not my favorite job/Planning on quitting"

I have been working at Cinemark part-time

Pros

Great staff, good coworkers, fairly easy job, if you have never have anything going on on weekends, this is the job for you

Cons

At my Cinemark at least, it's really unorganized when it comes to scheduling, schedules comes that Wednesday of that week itself so you don't get much time in advance to mentally prepare yourself, and they schedule literally everyone that works there on all the same days so it makes it really hard to find someone to cover for you if you need someone to. Personally, I requested to work 20-25 hours a week but as a high schooler, they will only schedule me to work the weekend so to get those hours want, they make you work all weekend so you're exhausted by Monday. I would prefer if they spread my hours throughout the week so I'm not working 25-30 hours in 2-3 days, but with how slow it is on weekdays, it's understandable, just not preferable.
    The benefits also kinda suck, you can get bad popcorn during your shift and drinks and free movie passes but, movies are only $2.25 so it's not that big of a deal.

Advice to Management

Hire more people so you're not understaffed and it gives your employees better hours

5. "Concessionist/Usher/Box Office"

I have been working at Cinemark full-time

Pros

Friendly, career-building, mostly positive experience.

Cons

It is tough to separate from other employees due to the nature of their position in life. High schoolers sometimes don't really care as much as they should.

6. "Cashier/Usher"

Pros

Good working environment, tasks weren't complicated and responsibilities were adequate.

Cons

You'll probably have to deal with annoying customers.

7. "Good & Fun Place To Work"

Current Employee - Concessionist in Union City, CA
    Current Employee - Concessionist in Union City, CA

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No micromanaging, managers will treat you with same level of respect, always something to do will make time go by fast

Cons

There week starts on a Friday so they can literally put you to work heading straight into the weekend

Advice to Management

n/a

8. "Tinseltown"

Former Employee - Usher, Cashier, Box Office Associate in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Usher, Cashier, Box Office Associate in Louisville, KY

I worked at Cinemark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's fun environment to meet new people, and n easy first job for a teenager. Pay is decent considering the duties expected

Cons

The one in particular I worked at was run predominantly by 18-21 year olds, who consider making work fun more of a priority than making sure work gets done. At interview the manager you interview with will most likely tell you they are flexible with scheduling and avoid scheduling you during school, but they do not. Expect to work Every single holiday, long hours as well i for example world 12 hours on christmas during a 69 hour work week whereas someone who had only worked 30 hours that week just so happened to get Christmas off.

Advice to Management

Treat the employees fairly, scheduling and position wise. This includes people who have been there for years, would you rather lose someone trained thoroughly every where or someone a week into concessions?

"Good part time job"

I have been working at Cinemark part-time

Pros

Free movies
    Easy job most of the time

Cons

Can be Stressful during busy season

Advice to Management

Have less double standards when it comes to enforcing policies

10. "Upper management could be better"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Sandy, UT

I have been working at Cinemark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount, free tickets, friends

Cons

Angry customers, not enough employees

Advice to Management

Build mutual respect with employees instead of just throwing them into the job and expecting them to read your mind

11. "Great First Job"

I have been working at Cinemark part-time

Pros

Its a great summer job and is great as a youngster's first job when you turn 16 and want to get a free movie no matter what!

Cons

It does get boring here and there when its not a busy season for movies, and as an usher, you MUST have a strong stomach for it!

Advice to Management

Don't be too harsh about being flexible, because being flexible shows that the employee wants to do more.