Cinta Aveda Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Great Education!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cinta Aveda full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Educators, Leads & Director are committed in providing a quality education to students and to set them up for successful career path.
    Administrative office is a fast paced, learning environment, that is changing rapidly & employees have opportunity to grow within the company.
    If you are a self-starter, multitasked & have passion for education, this is a great company to start!

Bonus: retail product discount, complimentary hair & skin care services!

Cons

Was hard to leave such a great team of powerful women.

Advice to Management

Organize team building activities to improve communication between departments and strengthen connections between management and employees.

2. "Education on Education"

I worked at Cinta Aveda full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started with Cinta as a salon coordinator and grew into the assistant director roll over a period of time. Management knows how to grow people into their talents and helped me grow into my passions. Co-workers and management expressed gratitude for my position. While being part of a team, I was also allowed to work independently and advance my individual expertise. Even though I was apart of the operations team I also got strong insight into the Aveda Culture and the beauty industry.

Cons

There is some turn over - like with any company - but when the team is strong its great!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

3. "Education on Education"

I worked at Cinta Aveda full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started out at Cinta as a salon coordinator and grew into the Assistant Director roll over a period of time. Management knows how to grow your strengths especially when you demonstrate interest and ability. I got to work in a great team but was able to develop my individual expertise. Being a part of the operations division, I also expanded my knowledge about Aveda Culture and the beauty industry.

Cons

There is some company turnover - like with all companies - but when the team is strong, it's great!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Nothing like Aveda culture"

Former Employee - Cosmetology Educator/Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Cosmetology Educator/Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cinta Aveda full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have access to advanced education through Aveda and are able to attend classes. Get to be a part of events the school is active in within the Aveda network.

Cons

Read the other negative reviews about this place, they are completely true based on my experiences there. The positive reviews are dispassionate and transparent. The owner is the most anxious micromanager I have ever seen. She has no previous experience in education and little passion for delivering industry education herself. She isn't committed to the Aveda mission personally. She manages with authoritative tones and doesn't even speak to the student body herself! 11 hour shifts were the standard. Teachers were asked to clock in and out- hourly pay. No options for coming in early for prep. Former directors admitted to vomiting in trash can in office due to levels of stress from the owner. Minimum requirements by city/state for benefits package; nothing above and beyond. Don't look for respect in this place, you won't get it.

Advice to Management

Start caring and connecting. Take CEO coaching, and apply it. Get into Aveda culture!

"Beware"

Former Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cinta Aveda full-time

Pros

I honestly can't think of any.

Cons

MEAN people especially "leaders"

Nobody seems to know what they are doing

You don't actually receive training. This leads to employees having to do it themselves typically on their own time.

You live to work. You can't have a life and work here. Very long days and work follows you home.

Management and some employees are downright cruel to other employees or students. The treatment is degrading and immoral. Students are mad they're getting ripped off.

People tend to be emotional wrecks from the treatment. I felt so badly about myself after I left that I became depressed and didn't leave my house for weeks. My self esteem was gone, I didn't think I was good enough for anything. It took a lot of time and therapy to get back out there. Embarrassing but true.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect. Be NICE. Stop the catty nonsense and act like adults. Keep your opinions about people to yourselves. Please bear in mind that the degrading slave driving treatment your employees receive may negatively effect them in the long term. Stop being cruel, Aveda is a company built on the foundation of being caring. Stop giving the whole brand a bad name.

"Education is fun!"

Current Employee - Educator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Educator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cinta Aveda (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Fun & engaging atmosphere
    -Great coworkers
    -Great company owner
    -Invests in personal and professional growth
    -Low stress
    -Teaching students about hair and makeup is fun!
    -Great repeat clientele
    -Aveda product discounts
    -Free advanced training classes with some really big name hair dressers

I've worked for this company for many years, and spent the majority of my professional life in an educational setting such as this. I have honestly never enjoyed a job as much as I have enjoyed this one. Through out my time here I've been able to grow so much and I truly believe it is because management and the owner have their eye on exactly the right thing. The Students. The students make everything worth it and being able to educate them and work closely with them and their clients is truly magical to watch. Education can be a really stressful and challenging job if you let it be, but I can honestly say that at this school you are set up to succeed. The "high turn over" is a trend in this industry and through out my time here the ones that have come and gone, have left for various reasons but I absolutely wouldn't say its because of anything the company is doing. Education is just not the right fit for everyone. We have an amazing staff and a great student body!

Cons

This industry does tend attract a more catty and dramatic type of person. Those people tend to act impulsively and may not understand how their actions or words can make a bad reputation for a company that I have loved working for.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring fun and inspiring educators! They are what makes this school great and makes the students engaged and happy!

8. "A Great Educational Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Educator & Certified Aveda Color Coach in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Educator & Certified Aveda Color Coach in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I really enjoy the support that I receive from all of my colleagues. From fellow educators, our team leads and administrative staff, I always feel like I have the tools available to provide our students with the best cosmetology education possible.
    The director and president are both amazingly ambitious and caring women that constantly inspire me to be a better educator and they both encourage me to seek out new certifications and provide in-house continuing education for our instructional staff.
    I also feel challenged by the expectation to be a self-starter. If I feel as if I have a new idea that would benefit one of my classes, I am encouraged to try it and give feedback on the effectiveness of the new idea.
    We are working towards being a paperless institute and I love our commitment to the environment through our use of technology.
    Overall, I couldn't be happier with my decision to work for Cinta & the Aveda network and I hope I get the chance to do so for many years.

Cons

The days are long, but the reward of being able to invest in these future hairdressers definitely outweighs the 10-11 hour daily commitment. Having the flexibility of only working 3-4 days full time also makes the long days a good trade-off.
    Unlike most salon atmospheres, Cinta offers a benefits package after 90 days.
    Honestly, the educators are giving the same commitment as the students. I feel that is very fair.

Advice to Management

I feel like Cinta's management staff is great.
    (1-2 more full time support educators wouldn't hurt ;)
    Keep up the good work!

"No integrity, just in it for the money"

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

Pros

None that I am aware of yet.

Cons

Surveillance cameras everywhere watched all day long gets creepy.

Employees speak negatively about each other, students, everyone. The lunchroom is a hot spot for the catty bunch to make fun of others appearance, race, backgrounds, general demeanor. It's sad.
    Students and employees alike are under constant attack.

Individuality is not accepted, but rather mocked by staff.

Terrible, awful, ridiculous training.This is so unorganized and you basically have to train yourself. The cosmetology lead who is supposed to train employees can't stay organized or communicate well to save her life. Nobody has been properly trained and this is a problem that should be fixed upstream.

Aveda is supposed to have an environment of wellness and kindness, this institute promotes degradation and hate speech instead.

Constant lies.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the negative cliquey people!

"The jobs of 3 people, but only getting paid for one!"

Former Employee - Finance Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Finance Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cinta Aveda full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very few knowledgable and friendly workers. Aveda products discounts. Location!

Cons

-Hostile environment! Run by amateurs - with very little knowledge on how to run a school.
    -The owner is all about the money.
    -Very high turnovers, since the day I started. (14+ ongoing...)
    -The classrooms, stores, and office are all under surveillance camera. The director and other staff keeps an eye on the monitor to watch employees daily. Basically, their priorities is not straight - instead of creating a better working environment, they create a hostile one.

-There's no such thing as a JOB DESCRIPTION in this company - your constantly changing your duties on a weekly basis. One day your a finance coordinator, next thing your a financial aid coordinator, then you're doing reports for the salon (whom you're not employed with) then your slaving away in the stock room aka classroom making student kits. FYI- huge heavy boxes to carry, which can hurt your back. They don't provide back support. Students sees you with a questionable face - why are you doing that???
    -NO TRAINING - everything with Cinta Aveda is "DIY" do it yourself. Every quarter the procedure changes, because employees leave between 0-8 months
    -ERGONOMIC WORKSTATION - NOT ALLOWED! The owner and management will arrange your screen monitor and chair a certain way, which didn't help me work efficiently. In Cinta's own words: " You will get used to it"
    -NO APPRECIATION - don't expect anything
    -YOU'RE REPLACEABLE - because they hire anyone
    -NO LUNCH BREAKS - with same department - because no one will monitor the telephone to buzz people in the building
    -Director and leads are the biggest gossiper. They talk about workers and students all day - especially in the staff breakroom
    COMPANY CULTURE - Fake, Catty, and full of DRAMA!

Advice to Management

Get a new one!

"Former Student"

Pros

-Student discounts.
    -The location of the area (three blocks away from Bart)
    -The ingredients of the product
    -There graduation ceremony, also known as "Celebration."

Cons

-Mistreating students as employess
    -Educator gossiping about all students
    -Favoritisim based on attitude and popularity
    -Lack of Education that seems unprepared
    -not acknowledge the esthetics program enough
    -being insulted by the staffs and educator
    -dark and negative environment
    -encourage bullying by other students.

Advice to Management

Learn to have some feelings and sympathy about students, there all adults you know. That's why you lied to everybody and not give an accurate facts.
    No wonder there going to a different school!