Circles.Life Reviews

2.4
Circles.Life Co-Founder Rameez Ansar
Rameez Ansar
Pros
Cons
  • "hard to maintain work life balance(in 9 reviews)

• "Made it look as if the most recent lay-off move was to let go of the bottom 10% performers(in 7 reviews)

"Startup Process not good"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent

I worked at Circles.Life full-time

Pros

Free food in the pantry

Cons

Leaders treat employees as dispensable items

Circles.Life2020-05-03
  2. "Pathetic Company to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore

I worked at Circles.Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

1) Less work. People do try to follow 9am-5pm schedule 2) Good compensation 3) Business trips to Singapore

Cons

1) Company has a lost vision 2) Peers are pretty much average from local colleges 3) The biggest issue with this company is the senior management. They can fire you anyday without giving any prior notice or warning. They will take you to a meeting room and will ask to submit your laptop and leave immediately. Such is the unprofessional behaviour of the management. And it was happening for people from entry level to Director level. 4) I was part of the Bengaluru office which had about 35 employees when I joined. During my tenure of 3 months, I saw about 10 people quitting themselves and 15 people getting fired. I was not any of the fired ones, but I quit myself seeing the unstable nature of this company. Nobody was sure what is going to happen next. 5) During my tenure I also saw office boys and talent acquisition people getting fired. It was like nobody was spared. 6) Looks like they were planning to close off the Bengaluru office, but the way it was done was terrible. 7) All this started happening after the new CTO joined the company. Any questions related to firing were termed as organisational changes. Really a bad CTO from my perspective. 8) Overall they had a very buggy system in place, where even monthly bills of customers had huge errors reported every month.

Circles.Life2020-05-30

"Considering? DON'T. You have been warned."

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Circles.Life full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stocked pantry with snacks, coffee machine and tea. Amazing company LinkedIn profile that makes Circles look glorious on the outside. Telco bill reimbursement, group medical insurance.

Cons

Too many to list down. but here are a few. Things started going downhill since last year. Glassdoor rating was as high as 3.7 just a year ago, but now a pathetic 2.4 and this is NOT for no reason. - Multiple “restructurings” happened and people got laid off since last October. Used to joke that Thanos appeared in Circles because every few weeks there were layoffs, but it has since evolved into a fear culture that these jokes aren’t even funny anymore. We were tricked into believing every single lay-off was “the last one” in the company’s exact words. And then it happened, and happened, and happened again and again. - High turnover rate. Most good people are leaving the company because of the turn of events that have happened. Many are looking for an exit. Ask around, even recruiters from other companies know about it, we were told during interviews with other companies. - Don’t trust anything the recruiters tell you if it is not written in your offer letter. Don’t be naive. Make sure everything is in the OFFER LETTER that you sign and not only in the email, or worse still if it’s just verbally told to you. When questioned why salary adjustment was promised by recruiters but not granted, the company’s response was “we did not commit to that if you check your offer letter”. Wow, amazing. You won the legal game. Many people even for those who have worked for >1 year did not enjoy any salary adjustments last year, and for those who got it, it was way lower than market rate. Do you want your pay to be stuck at the same range even after working for a few years? Think twice because when you move on to other jobs, companies will base their offer on your current pay, which means you are kinda stuck. - Management here abuses the word “ownership”. Taking ownership means you are expected to firefight, churn and deliver within tight timelines and most of the time losing your work-life balance. The CEO said firefighting is in our company spirits. What? - Process changes all the time without elaborate planning and systematic execution. You are told to follow this process today, two-three weeks later they would change their mind and tell you to follow another process, and the cycle keeps repeating. You will find yourself being caught up with processes instead of focusing on learning and developing your skills in the company. - Insanely KPI-driven. If setting exceptional goals to appease your boss and working overtime to meet KPIs is how you enjoy working, welcome to Circus. Oops I meant circles. To people who are considering to take up job offers from Circles, if you do not want to constantly worry about job security, fearing that you will be fired anytime after seeing your colleagues being let go one after another, being stuck in an infinite loop of working like a robot to deliver within tight timelines but learning nothing, no pay increment, DON’T JOIN. You have been warned. Fresh grads especially, please look elsewhere. You deserve better. Don’t be tricked by the glorious social presence of the company. Always try to speak to engineers (engineers on the ground, not managers, not recruiters) in the company first before joining one, and for circles specifically, you will understand why there are so many negative reviews on Glassdoor.

Circles.Life2020-05-23

"Founders and CTO treat engineers as toys"

2.0
    Current Employee - Product Engineer

I have been working at Circles.Life full-time for more than a year

Pros

good colleagues which is not a really related to company. Just a luck I'll say

Cons

Frequent restructuring and that will impact your KRAs and eventually, they will blame it on you

Circles.Life2020-04-27

"Amazing speed and agility during COVID-19 crisis and delivering awesomeness to our customers"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineering Manager in Singapore

I have been working at Circles.Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

AMAZING team of professionals working hard to build a great company. Have the right mindset and culture. Really good team of leaders supporting the vision and empowering the teams to take it to the next level. - Launched 10 new products in 45 days including COVID-19 focused features to help customers during this difficult time - Amazing vibe and startup feel as the growth team powers on through COVID-19 and WFH - Good response by the founders for the COVID-19 outbreak and made clear swift decisions to protect employees - Overall great place to work, few bad decisions last year but part of growth u make mistakes

Cons

- Too many people were hired and had to lay off because they all could not be productive - Somewhere really bad and had a negative impact on our culture - U can see from the negative glassdoor reviews ;)

Circles.Life2020-04-05

April 27, 2020

Dear Circles.Lifer, Thanks for your very kind words! We're happy to hear about your experience working here with the most AMAZING team (we wholeheartedly agree!). Circles cares about our people so much that we've included it as part of our mission so we're happy to hear that we are meeting your expectations; hope you are enjoying our WFH care package and initiatives. We also appreciate your constructive feedback on some small things that we can improve to make our employees experience here even better. Thank you for your hard work thus far, we look forward to learning and growing further with you!

"Good place to learn"

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Disclose in Singapore

I worked at Circles.Life full-time

Pros

The company is diverse Company has grand plans to grow You have access to the management You get to work on important projects Startup mindset

Cons

It's a corporate with a startup mindset to grow as fast as possible and launch in new markets. This means that certain things might not go according to the plan. Things can constantly change. This company is definitely not for people who are looking for a chill corporate environment.

Circles.Life2020-04-05

April 27, 2020

Hi there, Thanks for your great recommendation. We're super glad you had a good learning experience at Circles. This is precisely the culture that we strive towards. You're right in that we appreciate employees who are highly innovative, adaptable and driven, people are the driving force behind our success as Circles.Life. Kudos for your work here and all the best in the future!

"Deceptive, Shady, Dishonorable Management living in Grand Bubble of Delusion"

Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Circles.Life full-time for more than a year

Pros

Practically none. They'll promise you the world during courtship, such as EMPLOYEE STOCK OPTIONs, but keep mum about the grant and value when you are in. Most of us are fooled into this trap this way.

Cons

They will guilt trip you into doing things you don't like or find unethical. Such as hiring and firing people at will, finding loopholes to exploit in their relationships with employees. They view everyone as disposables, and will retrench you without warning, while spinning blatant lies to survivors. If you don't do as they tell, they'll say you're not living up to company values such as taking ownership. When the management does nothing to prove their worth at all, or take any ownership. They just hide behind their order barks, and expect everything to be handed on a silver plate. Worse, management is not qualified nor capable. They keep clutching at straws trying to find something to please the 3 co-founders. At the management level, there's a lot of toxicity. Politics are rife and people are all looking out for themselves. In year end party and previous company events, management and other senior employees recognised as space explorers and cadets made fools of themselves by taking advantage of each other while drunk. Management spewed vulgarities and asked people to get crazy drunk. Irresponsible, downright despicable and nowhere near the basic standard of a properly functioning company. Don't taint your CV by being associated with a place like this.

Circles.Life2020-05-01

"Great team to work and grow with. You get opportunities to learn from and work with highly experienced people."

4.0

I worked at Circles.Life

Pros

No hierarchy- you can approach the leadership team and the founders anytime with ideas or concerns. Project ownership - you will be given the opportunity to lead projects if you perform well. High standards - they expect quality work and high output pushing you to work and deliver better (great opportunity to grow)

Cons

Sometimes you might lack direction in the project. In which case, you have to test your assumptions frequently (ask fundamental questions).

Circles.Life2020-03-26

April 27, 2020

Hi there, Thank you for the great recommendation! We're happy to hear that you loved your experience with your team! As you rightfully mentioned, Circles.Life is indeed one of the most fulfilling workplaces which drives empowerment and ownership; it's one of the great reasons why Circles.Lifers enjoy working here. We hear your concerns on our communication and appreciate your suggestions to further improve our workplace. Thank you for your dedicated work, we wish you all the best!

"[WARNING: Don't be influenced by the bad reviews]"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore

I have been working at Circles.Life full-time

Pros

- Pantry is well stocked with goodies. Not many companies have that. - Positive work environment - Office area has a lot of cheap eating places - I have a good manager, having one is important (you'll see the other reviews here attacking someone which is really unprofessional) - Flexible work time - Able to work from home when needed - Founders are really good

Cons

- Not a bad company, has potential but with many messy processes - Start-up vibe - Office is too industrial and old for a hip company - Benefits should be more - A lot of communication issues and a lot of salty employees (they are not satisfied even if you give them a cake, they want the whole bakery instead) - HR is too small and overloaded with work that they take so much time to complete their tasks

Circles.Life2020-03-11

April 8, 2020

Dear Circles.Lifer, Thank you for your positive review about the company. We're glad you also enjoy working here! Happy to hear that your manager is making your experience great, we'd recommend expressing this on our gratitude form! Nonetheless, we hear your thoughts on the room for improvement. The company has made its stance on open communication and collaboration clear: it is our top priority to shape a great place to work for all Circles.Lifers, which includes listening to your needs and ideas. We hope that the recent alignment and restructuring has made clear our commitment to this. Thank you for your hard work thus far!

"People are just dispensable resources"

1.0

I worked at Circles.Life full-time for more than a year

Pros

Product is decent; above-average even. A tiny percentage of leadership are made up of really brilliant folks. Perks are abundant at Circles.Life, food, snacks, drinks, coffee.

Cons

A very unforward-thinking organization. 1) Clear over-hiring practices during scaling for an asset-light company, and then performed several retrenchment/firing exercises (only join if you're looking to use them as a stepping stone). 2) Claim to be fast-paced, but sets yearly OKRs, which are not realistic due to the nature of the industry and competition, etc. Even though they tried adapting the quarterly OKR model, no clear methodology was used to deploy the new process. 3) Had more than a year to develop the "ecosystem" that they've always touted to investors, but chose not to. The evidence of this was the demolition of the ideathon practice where they encouraged employees to contribute new ideas for new relevant products or verticals. Key unresolved issues within the top management. A) The '3-cofounder' model is clearly a tactic to absolve themselves from mistakes and responsibility. They refuse to nominate 1 CEO. Each co-founder supposedly has a clear portfolio to manage, but in reality, they overlap, thus small issues can take months to resolve due to disagreement among themselves. If you're looking for a company with strong leadership, give this one a pass. B) They are clearly inexperienced handling a company of this size and stage. Even the CTO seems to be better equipped in handling the direction of the company. Hold on, why is there a CTO if there are no C-suites? Dishonesty is the core of this company. i) For all the talk about bonuses and stock options, they never kept their promises. Terms in the contract are intentionally made vague (it's technically legal, so there's no case to bring to court). If you've been offered a role, please question the HR hard because you can be sure they can't give specifics. ii) Their transparency is a farce as important communications to employees keep dwindling. They also don't address legitimate issues that have been raised in meetings and townhalls. The values and mission they keep selling are never seen in the 3 co-founders, so don't expect anyone else to exhibit them! iii) You'll be surprised to find out that there's no fixed date for payroll as well. Your salary can just "drop" any time near the end of the month. You must love guessing games and anticipation to join this organization.

Circles.Life2020-04-20

April 27, 2020

Hi there, We appreciate you taking the time to write your thoughts. We're sorry to hear that your experience at Circles was not the best it could be. We'd like to address some points below. First, please note that while we do encourage our employees to provide feedback after key moments, we are in no way able to, nor do we condone forging reviews. Second, we're sad that our many P&C initiatives were not up to par for you. We have always encouraged novel ideas and suggestions to make Circles a great place to work, but your suggestions may have unfortunately not been heard. Next, we're very sad that you felt unmotivated and fake at work. Our HRBPs have always been available for talks so as to better your experience at the workplace. Nonetheless, we hear your concerns and will pass them to the relevant parties. Thank you for your contribution to our journey and we wish you the best in the future.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 105 Reviews