Circles Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Circles General Manager Wouter Broekema
Wouter Broekema

Pros
  • Good people through lower levels of company (in 4 reviews)

• And the opportunity for me to be as involved as I have been is due to the many changes over the last few years (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • You get allotted 5 minutes aside from your designated breaks to use the bathroom (in 5 reviews)

• I've personally had my direct manager stand next to my desk wait for me to come back from the bathroom after a particularly bad attack (in 3 reviews)

"Happy in a growing company"

Current Employee - Travel Specialist in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Travel Specialist in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Circles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small relaxed office environment with opportunity to work from home
    Friendly co workers ( have to be friendly to be a concierge! ) and management
    Opportunity for growth
    Fair amount of time off with sabbatical every 5 year
    Willing to work with you to alter schedule when need be
    Set schedule
    Reasonable expectations on workload that can be completed in a given shift

Cons

Would like to see more opportunities for education/learning new skills to become a better concierge.
    Too many hats, many of the concierge staff is expected to take calls not only for the concierge clients but also for other facets of the company. While it's good that phones are answered quickly having to be knowledgeable in so many different components of the business makes it hard to be an expert in your line of the business and slows down productivity.
    Benefits need to be improved, for being a company that adds so much value to other businesses benefits package I feel our benefits should exceed expectations.

Advice to Management

keep being friendly with the staff and reward those who consistently shine.

"Horrible in any location!"

Former Employee - Service Professional in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Service Professional in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Circles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed dress code? That's a plus, I guess? It's nice to wear jeans to work, some employees took it to extremes though. No one wants to see your posterior hanging out of your shorts at work, really.

Cons

You may notice that some of the negative reviews have responses from the company attached to them. "Oh, this is for our old location and therefore it's not really relevant!" Do they really think you're that stupid?

The answer is yes, yes they do think you are that stupid. Stupider, even. In fact, they are counting on it. Counting on drawing in job seekers who are too stupid to know their rights.

When it comes to how they treat their employees, they have a history of behavior that is at best immoral and at worst illegal, or at the very least only legal because they have found every loophole imaginable in the Americans With Disabilities Act and the Family Medical Leave Act and will exploit those loopholes for all they're worth. Unless these practices have changed along with the physical address of the company yes, those negative reviews are absolutely relevant, and you ignore them at your own peril.

My advice? If you decide to accept a position here, walk in on your first day of training armed with the only thing that will protect you in a place like this: knowledge. Read up on the ADA and FMLA, especially if you have any form of disability or chronic medical condition. Know your rights.

Advice to Management

We're not stupid. We know that no matter where the office is located you treat your employees like replaceable parts instead of individuals with their own needs. Stop trying to pretend otherwise.

3. "Service Professional"

Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Circles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for Circles in Chelmsford, MA long before that location was sold to Aspire Lifestyles. If you read some of the other reviewers posts on here you will see that they too worked at these locations before they were in fact sold to Aspire. It was terrible then and I'm sure it's still terrible now.

Cons

- Poor pay
    - Micromanaged atmosphere
    - Nights/weekends
    - Mandatory overtime
    - Reporting to uneducated 20 something's posing as management.
    - Horrible clients
    - Bonus structure is a joke
    - Your job is meaningless
    - No opportunities for career advancement
    - No transferrable skillsets/hard to get another job.

Advice to Management

In the words of John Taffer, "SHUT IT DOWN"!

Feb 16, 2016 – Human Resources Generalist

Thank you for this review, however it must be clarified that Circles hasn't been affiliated with the Chelmsford location since being sold to another entity on August 1, 2014. We encourage you to ... More

"Not great"

Former Employee - Senior Service Professional in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Service Professional in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Circles full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overtime is usually good. If you work a holiday they always provide lunch.

Cons

Always hanging over your shoulder to make sure your not slacking, they don't treat you like an adult should be treated, hours can be late and you always have to work at least one weekend day. Pay is not enough for the amount of **** you go through. Management sucks.

Advice to Management

Get your act together

Dec 7, 2015 – Human Resources Generalist

"Circles is a great place to work"

Current Employee - IT Applications Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - IT Applications Manager in Waltham, MA

Pros

The management team is excellent. They are always available via the open door policy and I am comfortable talking with them about any issues or suggestions I might have. Additionally, the expectations of my job are generally clear and reasonable. I am challenged in my job but I also feel like I am put in position to succeed. I am also happy that they allow employees to work from home on a regular schedule.I do not enjoy commuting via the car and if I had to drive to this office 5 days a week, I probably would have looked for new job a while ago. There is excellent work life balance and ample PTO offered to employees. I feel appreciated and am very happy with the training I am allowed to pursue for my professional development

Cons

I think that I am underpaid given my experience and responsibilities. Also, given the size of the company, I have been asked lately to perform tasks that are outside of my normal responsibilities. I also don't feel like there is much room for growth personally given the small size of the team. I am happy with my title and responsibilities now but it is hard to see where/how I would be able to take on more and grow my career.

Advice to Management

keep doing what they are doing as far as communicating with employees, acknowledging good performance and making employees feel appreciated.

"Friendly, Supportive and Entrepreneurial"

I have been working at Circles full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Circles has been through a major realignment from it's previous incarnation.

We're a much smaller team so you actually get to know the people you're working with. It really feels like I'm valued by my coworkers, boss and the company as a whole.

The work is interesting. There can be a lot of variation in what you do day-to-day which makes for a nice work environment.

Finally, the company is growing! The managers are constantly looking for current employees that want to move up and take on new roles.

Cons

The benefits are not as great as some other places but are in line with - or slightly better than - a company of this size.

"Concierge"

Current Employee - Concierge in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Concierge in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Circles full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The support and respect from upper management is one of the many reasons why Circles is a great company to work for. They encourage us to reach out to them with any issues that may arise, and they work diligently to find helpful resolutions. They truly value our opinions and they strive to create a positive atmosphere.

I am lucky to work at a property where everyone is patient and understanding. It makes me feel good to help people with their travel arrangements, ticket acquisitions, etc. People are genuinely appreciative! am truly lucky to work for Circles! I hope to have a long career here!

-Work/Life Balance is consistently talked about...it shows they care about our personal lives!
    - Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance!

Cons

I can honestly say that I have not had any bad experiences while working for the company. This stems from the fact that everyone communicates on a daily basis, and everyone seems to be receptive of everyone's ideas!

Advice to Management

Please continue doing what you're doing! The formula that you are using is working well! Communication, respect, generosity, honesty...All of these are exhibited on a daily basis and they lead to a happy workplace.

"Service Professional"

Current Employee - Professional Services in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Professional Services in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Circles full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work with. Everyone is brings a light attitude with full professionalism. Have loved working here for the past few years and hope to continue working and growing in this company.

Cons

Opportunity for advancement is delayed somewhat.

"A company where you actually matter"

I have been working at Circles full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is very rewarding to work for a company whose business it is to help people with their daily life needs. People here seem to genuinely care about what they do and the customers really value the services that the company provides. There are concierge sites throughout the U.S., but the main office is in Waltham.

The company is in a high growth mode, which makes it both exciting, although stressful at times, and fun. Good advancement opportunities as well because of the growth.

Benefits are great (offer a sabbatical every 5 years!) and there is a fair amount of flexibility, at least for the support staff.

In this company you'll definitely get some exposure to quite a few large national and international companies, which is a great experience and resume builder.

Cons

The environment here is definitely relying on employees being independent, so if you are looking for a job with a lot of support from management, this is probably not your ideal company to work for.

Training for new employees is great, but there is no structural continuing education in place, although some people get sent to training in the U.S. and France

Advice to Management

Adding a better training program would make this company even better.

10. "It's a job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Pros

Small company - you will know everyone's name and they will know yours. Everyone seems to truly believe in what they are there to do. Decent pay for entry level position.

Cons

Favoritism shows itself often, and work-life balance is often terrible.

Aug 19, 2015 – Human Resources Generalist

Circles is proud and privileged to be a be in a start-up phase and excited about strategic growth while preserving our great small-company feel and culture. We are especially pleased to offer remote ... More