Circles Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Circles General Manager Wouter Broekema
Wouter Broekema

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good people through lower levels of company (in 4 reviews)

• And the opportunity for me to be as involved as I have been is due to the many changes over the last few years (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • The staff is unorganized which makes the concierge job challenging (in 7 reviews)

1. "It's a Job!"

I worked at Circles full-time

Pros

It's a job, get's the bills paid and that's about it. Call center environment, just like you would expect.

Cons

They used to do a lot for their employees, then seemed to ween this out, and the environment changed.

"Horrible in any location!"

Former Employee - Service Professional in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Service Professional in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Circles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed dress code? That's a plus, I guess? It's nice to wear jeans to work, some employees took it to extremes though. No one wants to see your posterior hanging out of your shorts at work, really.

Cons

You may notice that some of the negative reviews have responses from the company attached to them. "Oh, this is for our old location and therefore it's not really relevant!" Do they really think you're that stupid?

The answer is yes, yes they do think you are that stupid. Stupider, even. In fact, they are counting on it. Counting on drawing in job seekers who are too stupid to know their rights.

When it comes to how they treat their employees, they have a history of behavior that is at best immoral and at worst illegal, or at the very least only legal because they have found every loophole imaginable in the Americans With Disabilities Act and the Family Medical Leave Act and will exploit those loopholes for all they're worth. Unless these practices have changed along with the physical address of the company yes, those negative reviews are absolutely relevant, and you ignore them at your own peril.

My advice? If you decide to accept a position here, walk in on your first day of training armed with the only thing that will protect you in a place like this: knowledge. Read up on the ADA and FMLA, especially if you have any form of disability or chronic medical condition. Know your rights.

Advice to Management

We're not stupid. We know that no matter where the office is located you treat your employees like replaceable parts instead of individuals with their own needs. Stop trying to pretend otherwise.

3. "Unprofessional, Horrible with employee set up/follow through"

I worked at Circles part-time

Pros

The employees you serve are wonderful.

Cons

The main office does nothing to support your laptop issues. You have to call so many people before you get the right answer only to find out that HR was responsible for supplying you with the appropriate information.
    The staff is unorganized which makes the concierge job challenging.
    For being in the hospitality industry they are clueless about the needs of customers and making sure that employees know what the services are. They get set up at a company and then the least amount of work to make their client receive the benefits from their company.

Advice to Management

Management is not upfront or honest about issues that should involve all employees, not just one or a few. They are caddy, backstabbing and extremely unprofessional. My advice for management would be to act professional and to have integrity around the decisions you make that affect others.

4. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Concierge
    Current Employee - Concierge

Pros

Great place to work. Never been happier.

Cons

All jobs aren't like Circles.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

5. "The right fit for me"

I have been working at Circles full-time

Pros

The exposure and experience I have received here is not something I could have received anywhere else. And the opportunity for me to be as involved as I have been is due to the many changes over the last few years. I am supported by my superiors and peers. I am encouraged to bring new ideas to the table. I am asked for my opinion. I am trusted to do my job and I receive help when I ask for it.

A lot has changed over the past few years FOR THE BETTER. What this has meant is a lean team of very dedicated professionals who are constantly looking for how to do things better. We are all hands on deck at all times and we are constantly adjusting to our changing and growing world at work. This is an environment I thrive in and I am grateful for the new challenges and opportunities I am presented with each and every day.

Cons

This is not a place for everyone. If you are the type who needs your job to live in a bubble, this is not the place for you. If you are the type who approaches tasks outside your job description as "not my responsibility," this is not the place for you. If you are not comfortable with owning your failure as much as your achievements, this is not the place for you. If you prefer to work alone and don't do well with a team-oriented approach to the day-to-day, this is not the place for you.

If you can work outside your comfort zone and are motivated by new challenges, then Circles is a place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the lines of communication about the business open, honest and transparent. While we embrace the ever-changing landscape here, remember we still need to understand our own individual career trajectories and those conversations are just as important to keep top of mind.

6. "Service Professional"

Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Circles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for Circles in Chelmsford, MA long before that location was sold to Aspire Lifestyles. If you read some of the other reviewers posts on here you will see that they too worked at these locations before they were in fact sold to Aspire. It was terrible then and I'm sure it's still terrible now.

Cons

- Poor pay
    - Micromanaged atmosphere
    - Nights/weekends
    - Mandatory overtime
    - Reporting to uneducated 20 something's posing as management.
    - Horrible clients
    - Bonus structure is a joke
    - Your job is meaningless
    - No opportunities for career advancement
    - No transferrable skillsets/hard to get another job.

Advice to Management

In the words of John Taffer, "SHUT IT DOWN"!

Circles Response

Feb 16, 2016 – Human Resources Generalist

Thank you for this review, however it must be clarified that Circles hasn't been affiliated with the Chelmsford location since being sold to another entity on August 1, 2014. We encourage you to... More

"Not great"

Former Employee - Senior Service Professional in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Service Professional in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Circles full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overtime is usually good. If you work a holiday they always provide lunch.

Cons

Always hanging over your shoulder to make sure your not slacking, they don't treat you like an adult should be treated, hours can be late and you always have to work at least one weekend day. Pay is not enough for the amount of **** you go through. Management sucks.

Advice to Management

Get your act together

Circles Response

Dec 7, 2015 – Human Resources Generalist

"Happy in a growing company"

Current Employee - Travel Specialist in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Travel Specialist in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Circles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small relaxed office environment with opportunity to work from home
    Friendly co workers ( have to be friendly to be a concierge! ) and management
    Opportunity for growth
    Fair amount of time off with sabbatical every 5 year
    Willing to work with you to alter schedule when need be
    Set schedule
    Reasonable expectations on workload that can be completed in a given shift

Cons

Would like to see more opportunities for education/learning new skills to become a better concierge.
    Too many hats, many of the concierge staff is expected to take calls not only for the concierge clients but also for other facets of the company. While it's good that phones are answered quickly having to be knowledgeable in so many different components of the business makes it hard to be an expert in your line of the business and slows down productivity.
    Benefits need to be improved, for being a company that adds so much value to other businesses benefits package I feel our benefits should exceed expectations.

Advice to Management

keep being friendly with the staff and reward those who consistently shine.

9. "Not for everyone"

I worked at Circles full-time

Pros

The training program was great. You learn a lot. Pay is ok.

Cons

You are worked constantly. The clients can be a real pain. Mangers aren't great.

Advice to Management

Raise the pay, or make it worth while. It's hard to stay here.

"Circles is a great place to work"

Current Employee - IT Applications Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - IT Applications Manager in Waltham, MA

Pros

The management team is excellent. They are always available via the open door policy and I am comfortable talking with them about any issues or suggestions I might have. Additionally, the expectations of my job are generally clear and reasonable. I am challenged in my job but I also feel like I am put in position to succeed. I am also happy that they allow employees to work from home on a regular schedule.I do not enjoy commuting via the car and if I had to drive to this office 5 days a week, I probably would have looked for new job a while ago. There is excellent work life balance and ample PTO offered to employees. I feel appreciated and am very happy with the training I am allowed to pursue for my professional development

Cons

I think that I am underpaid given my experience and responsibilities. Also, given the size of the company, I have been asked lately to perform tasks that are outside of my normal responsibilities. I also don't feel like there is much room for growth personally given the small size of the team. I am happy with my title and responsibilities now but it is hard to see where/how I would be able to take on more and grow my career.

Advice to Management

keep doing what they are doing as far as communicating with employees, acknowledging good performance and making employees feel appreciated.