Circuit City Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ronny Shmoel
1 Rating

Pros
  • Great place to work for a part-timer looking for extra money (in 22 reviews)

• Work-life balance, dynamic coworkers, good benefits (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • the company went bankrupt and is no longer a B&M store (in 12 reviews)

• could be long hours if someone calls off and no coverage (in 9 reviews)

1. "Decent part time job while going to college"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Circuit City part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount helped reduce the price of purchases for personal use, especially on high-margin items like speakers. Base wage was similar to competitors and slightly above the average overall for retail work.

Cons

There was too much pressure for employees to sell extended service plans (ESP) on everything. At my location it went as far as mandating that employees present ESP to the customer while at the product display using a clipboard and noting the difference between ESP and the manufacturer's warranty. If the customer says, "That's nice, how much does it cost?" you need to take them to the register and retrieve the price. Coverage could easily be several hundred dollars for larger items and was a difficult sell unless the customer had bad luck with similar products in the past. I couldn't lie to the customers and tell them it was a great deal because I didn't believe in its value myself.

Advice to Management

With the company long gone, management should all be finding new jobs by now.

2. "Operations Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Never a dull moment varied job duties

Cons

low pay long hours slow promotions

Advice to Management

should have put money in online sales, streamline products add back appliences

3. "BK"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Buena Park, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Buena Park, CA

I worked at Circuit City full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It once had good products, and good people. Never a high end store, but always had a good selection.

Cons

It was a good big box CE store, but when they eliminated commissions, they lost their best salespeople, and then they lost customers.

Advice to Management

The CarMax model they created survived, so maybe this was a better path.

5. "Farewell to a Great Company"

Former Employee - Product Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Circuit City full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and a tight-knit team environment were truly the only positives of the job. I formed life-long friendships with people during my time at Circuit City and will cherish those forever. The few and far between good managers made life a lot easier, unfortunately the good managers were far outweighed by the bad managers.

Cons

Absolutely awful management, and a terrible corporate structure that had no idea what was going on at the store level. Corporate tried its best to turn Circuit City into a Best Buy clone and the result was bankruptcy. By firing commissioned associates and laying off the highest paid hourly employees, Circuit City advertised to its customers "Hey, we've gotten rid of all of our knowledgeable employees, please come anyways!"

Advice to Management

Too little too late, hiring Phil Schoonover as the CEO was the last straw that eventually led to Circuit City's demise. This company could have still been around, utilizing a niche in terms of having the most knowledgeable employees.

6. "Executive Secretary"

Former Employee - Executive Secretary in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Executive Secretary in Richmond, VA

I worked at Circuit City full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

While employed with Circuit City, it was a fast paced, fun and enjoyable workplace.

Cons

I did not like the way they closed the entire Circuit City stores along ith the headquarter office.

Advice to Management

Management could have given the employees some type of notice.

7. "Computer sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Circuit City (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company, paid commissions only

Cons

Went broke, managers acted like gods.

8. "When they had brick and mortar stores and pay was based on commission, the place was decent. Then it got far worse."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Circuit City full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you were a good salesperson and energetic, you could make some decent money for an entry level retail sales position when the pay was on a commission basis. There were opportunities for advancement.

Cons

The company let go of most of their good salespeople when they went to an hourly pay rate system. Those people were often some of the more knowledgeable people as well, so that further hurt the customer service. The upper management of the company lacked vision and true leadership; they spent a lot of money on consultants trying to make up for this lack. They were also reactionary rather than proactive in how they managed their business model.

Advice to Management

The company has changed to, as I understand it, a web only based company. Not sure if any of the old management came over. I hope not. They needed true leadership, and if my understanding is correct that they no longer have physical stores, their business model would be markedly different.

9. "Very good experience overall"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Circuit City full-time

Pros

Promoted almost completely from sales floor, excellent proactive training program and monthly bonuses offered and paid for exceeding objectives and goals. Very good 401k program and benefits. Excellent employee discounts on all home electronic equipment. Monthly contests with great prizes that almost anyone had a chance to win.

Cons

Worked most weekends and required holiday shifts. Overtime happened on a weekly basis. Once you reached Store management level it was very difficult to advance further. Very limited time off unless it was a well in advance planned vacation that required corporate approval prior to you taking it. Sometime you had to not only opne the location you had to stay and close the location late at night.

10. "Fun Warehouse Experience"

Former Employee - Warehouse in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Circuit City full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment, friendly associates all around (from managers, floor associates, to fellow warehouse workers). The guys in the warehouse all worked together (when there were more than one employee on shift).

Cons

While working in the warehouse, the amount of dust that had collected over the course of 10+ years was quite disturbing. Also, having only 1-2 employees to unload a truck with over 2000+ pieces of merchandise was not fun!

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the cleanliness of the store!

11. "not bad aside from going out of business."

Former Employee - Warehouse in Groveland, FL
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Groveland, FL

I worked at Circuit City full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pay was good while in business

Cons

they went out of business...