Circuit City Reviews | Glassdoor

Circuit City Reviews

Updated March 14, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • the company went bankrupt and is no longer a B&M store (in 11 reviews)

• could be long hours if someone calls off and no coverage (in 9 reviews)

1. "G00d while it lasted"

Former Employee - Product Specialist/Sales Associate in Richmond, CA
    Former Employee - Product Specialist/Sales Associate in Richmond, CA

I worked at Circuit City (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy going atmosphere great place too learn

Cons

None really miss the place

2. "Computer sales"

Former Employee - Computer & Camera/Camcorder Sales Associate Electronics Superstore in Lakeland, FL

I worked at Circuit City full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always kept in the loop for weekly specials and deals, Usually a relaxed atmosphere, Pleasant store environment, Awesome red uniform.

Cons

No commission, poor pay, lack of support from management, too much pressure to sell add-on services, Terrible red uniform.

Advice to Management

Understand that most costumers have a basic knowledge of computers and do not need in home computer or network setup help.

3. "Sales Technician"

Former Employee - Technical Sales Associate in Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Technical Sales Associate in Reading, PA

Pros

People and environment was outstanding.

Cons

Not enough hours to save up money.

Advice to Management

None

5. "Test Store"

Pros

very Helpful at the end of the day

Cons

don't care about staff as much as should

Advice to Management

care about staff

6. "Farewell to a Great Company"

Former Employee - Product Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Circuit City full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and a tight-knit team environment were truly the only positives of the job. I formed life-long friendships with people during my time at Circuit City and will cherish those forever. The few and far between good managers made life a lot easier, unfortunately the good managers were far outweighed by the bad managers.

Cons

Absolutely awful management, and a terrible corporate structure that had no idea what was going on at the store level. Corporate tried its best to turn Circuit City into a Best Buy clone and the result was bankruptcy. By firing commissioned associates and laying off the highest paid hourly employees, Circuit City advertised to its customers "Hey, we've gotten rid of all of our knowledgeable employees, please come anyways!"

Advice to Management

Too little too late, hiring Phil Schoonover as the CEO was the last straw that eventually led to Circuit City's demise. This company could have still been around, utilizing a niche in terms of having the most knowledgeable employees.

7. "Sales manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Circuit City full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work, awesome associates !

Cons

Went out of business sucks

Advice to Management

Phill schoonover drove the company into the ground. You should have invested into "the city" long before. Thanks a lot

8. "Ccity"

I worked at Circuit City full-time

Pros

Cool products. Great co workers and managers. Fun environment to work in. Benefits were always good and prices were always competitive.

Cons

Corporate management ran the company Out of business. Sold it to a bunch of liquidators who came in and sold off everything that so many people worked hard to build.

Advice to Management

Don't over promote executives or hire unqualified executives and let Wall Street dictate how to run the business. Don't over borrow to the point you can't pay your bills but yet keep spending anyways.

9. "Sales Associte"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL

Pros

Fun place to work with a team

Cons

Pay is low for industry

10. "A Victim of Disruptive Technology"

I worked at Circuit City part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Circuit city had a Decent E-Learning Training program for generic HR training, as well as a fast hiring process to get employees into roles very quickly. There was a lot of opportunity to move into different teams as you would expect in many other retailers.

Cons

I was hired as a CSA at the store, but it took me months to understand how to use the POS system the store had in place which was command line based in a world where touch screens and GUI interfaces were increasingly becoming the norm and an expectation. Training and documentation as to how to use the system was practically non-existent, I would often times have to reach out to my colleagues which were oftentimes preoccupied with customers.

The Lack of a Easy to Use Intuitive POS system often times translated into frustration for the customers of the store as employees like myself struggled to learn how to use them.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately Circuit City’s management team no longer exists...

According to previous articles about Circuit City, often times some of these jobs were reserved for employees that had a longer tenure at the store that were likely better trained to fill these complex roles.

I was a high school student at the time in the late 2000’s when I worked there. The management team should have invested in an easy to use POS system, so new low skilled employees could have gotten up to speed quickly so they could serve the companies customers more efficiently.

The company had a nice online presence but, It’s unknown how the company would have been able to compete against amazon if it survived the recession.

11. "PC Tech"

I worked at Circuit City full-time

Pros

On site customer care service

Cons

Distance to drive between customers