Cirrus Aircraft Reviews | Glassdoor

Dale Klapmeier

1. "Former PFT pilot..."

Former Employee - Production Flight Test Pilot in Duluth, MN
    Former Employee - Production Flight Test Pilot in Duluth, MN

I worked at Cirrus Aircraft full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The SR22 is still the finest single engine aircraft in the world and I loved flying it. The guys in PFT all gave each other a lot of crap but we all loved each other except for the couple annoying ones and we even tolerated them too because without any of us being crass enough to ever say it we all knew we were the best pilots in the company and my flight tempo in Ops was insane and the CFI demo job was experimental in that they'd never had it before I accepted the position and for two years I loved it and how could I not? I was living in a log home and basing my plane in Solon Springs and I was loving it until I let in a weak pilot betrayer who made everyone there hate her and never in over two years there finished her check flight and as such was never considered a professional pilot there but I loved my time there and my son was born in Duluth and he and my current and forever love are the loves of my life and I'm blown away by how many people the Airframe Parachute has saved since I started there and we all flew knowing we had it but none of us were ever going to do what would cause needing it ever. But the plane is simply awesome and again I loved flying it for over 3500 hours and thank you Cirrus Design

Cons

Glad handing butt kissers and gossips and some snakes and oh too many sheep. Baahhh

Advice to Management

None anyone would want to hear

2. "Cool product"

Current Employee - Airframe Engineer in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - Airframe Engineer in Duluth, MN

I have been working at Cirrus Aircraft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

An aviation job in Duluth with the leader in GA is pretty cool. If you appreciate what the product is this is a bonus. Flying club offers access to very expensive aircraft.

Cons

Shortsighted business practices lead to systemic frustration. Health care plan stinks. Take it or leave it additude towards employees. Lack of leadership after Paul Brey left.

Advice to Management

Improve salaries for better retention and quality of work.

3. "Poor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Proctor, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Proctor, MN

I have been working at Cirrus Aircraft (More than a year)

Pros

The people on the bottom of the food chain are good to work with, some supervisors or okay.

Cons

Very Very low pay, not a job for other than college attendees due to the very low pay scale.

Advice to Management

Push for higher pay

"Cirrus Aircraft"

Former Employee - A&P in Duluth, MN
    Former Employee - A&P in Duluth, MN

Pros

Learned about modern day aircraft avionics and engine trimming. Thats about it........

Cons

4 day work weeks almost immediately turned into 6 days work weeks. Having to turn crippled aircraft coming down the line into "airworthy, first test flight status".

Being paid the same wage as am entry level warehouse grunt with a high school diploma! The hazard pay alone which was non existent, should of been at least $5 more considering I was inches away from moving propellers making engine adjustments. Sometimes well below 20 degrees F in winter.

The sheer moral in the company was non existent! The few that had happy attitudes were lifers in the company.

This part is not a joke. I lost 70% of my hair on the top of my head just from working one year at cirrus. The moment I quit, my hair stopped falling out! What does that tell you about stress in the work environment!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. I know the Chinese bout out Cirrus before I was employed but still....My position was a 2 1/2 man position. Right before I quit I was alone in my department..................

6. "Engineering Intern"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, MN

Pros

I was exposed to a lot of different processes and was given the opportunity to work closely with the techs and leads on the floor. I was/am always busy with something. Kudos to my supervisors for making sure I was never doing monotonous tasks like filing papers.

Cons

When hiring a group of interns, make sure the workload is evenly balanced. I was busy but I noticed some of the others had to search for things to do towards the end of the internship period.

Advice to Management

Communication is key, continue checking in on intern progress on a regular basis. Otherwise keep it up, no complaints here!

7. "Challenges, opportunities and potential galore"

Former Employee - Engineer in Duluth, MN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Duluth, MN

Pros

Great products. Easy access to all levels of management and the upper level management is extremely approachable. If you like to wear many hats and get your hands dirty, you'll be happy at Cirrus. Great team atmosphere.

Cons

Middle management lacks training on leading, managing and developing people.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the continuous improvement and employee engagement initiatives that kicked off in 2015.

8. "Sr. mehanical designer drafter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, MN

Pros

Great company to work for. Treat all as equals. Great opportunities with growing company

Cons

It's very cold in Duluth, If you don't like cold, cool weather you won't like Duluth.

"Poor recognition/compensation of Skills"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, MN

I have been working at Cirrus Aircraft full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good job security orders for a few years and it seems as though they care (except for pay).

Would only recommend for those on the downfall of their careers or those bound to the area and really need a job and have nothing better. Do your research, like now, good on you.

Cons

Past experience, forget it, they won't pay you like it and they really base "industry average" off of the local area and not true industry average pay. And that's maybe mid-range at best as well.

Advice to Management

They were claiming to be working on fixing a 5% / month turnover rate. Firstly recognize certain skill sets basically demand a certain level of pay. Secondly maybe try to pay slightly higher than that to keep your employees from "wondering".

Everyone is looking for more money, I can assure you there are positions being paid $10 less an hour than national average for that same skill set.

"Fast Paced, Fend for yourself"

Current Employee - Airframe Design Engineer in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - Airframe Design Engineer in Duluth, MN

I have been working at Cirrus Aircraft full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

exciting industry; stimulating, challenging work; relatively small company means the opportunity to get involved with lots of different things and not get pigeon-holed; lots of opportunities to learn to skills; good people and culture/relationships with co-workers; relatively diverse work force (compared to similar companies/industries)

Cons

Training for engineering staff is non-existent, so learning the processes and practices is on the job; small company+ambitious projects+unrealistic schedules=poor work/life balance; high expectations for employee time/commitment with some compensation - but not proportional to the commitment expected; middle/senior management has been with the company for a long time without much leadership/project management training, so there are some bad practices that have been in place for a long time and are hard to change.

Advice to Management

More training on leadership and management skills for middle/senior managers is a must. Set more realistic project goals, or set schedules based on good project management principles instead of just choosing a desired end date and over-working employees to meet dates that were unrealistic to begin with.

11. "Marketing"

Current Employee - Marketing in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing in Duluth, MN

I have been working at Cirrus Aircraft full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Aviation is an attractive industry.

Cons

Internal opportunities is limited because of different reasons.

Advice to Management

Need to think better to balance the opportunity of company and employee