Cisco Systems Reviews in London, England | Glassdoor

Cisco Systems Chief Executive, UK & Ireland Scot Gardner
Scot Gardner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "As Cisco transforms, it's an exciting time to be here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great, positive attitude. Diversity. Investment in digital marketing and understanding how critical it is to the future. A lot of investment in talent nurturing.

Cons

Things take a long time to implement. Pockets of resistance to change. Not often outward looking enough.

Advice to Management

Be brave. Make the changes you see need to happen. Move faster.

2. "Soluiton Architect"

Current Contractor - Solutions Architect in London, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Solutions Architect in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Cisco Systems as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leader in IT/Mobility platforms
    Flexibility to work from home
    Great working atmosphere

Cons

Have to work longer hours to address customer requirements across the globe

3. "Worldwide Sales Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in London, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Intern in London, England (UK)

I worked at Cisco Systems as an intern

Pros

Great benefits such as accomodation and social events!
    Great people and working environment
    Had the opportunity to work on really big accounts

Cons

The location means that we have to relocate

4. "Good, but not as good as they make out"

Former Employee - Public Relations Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Public Relations Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- smart people
    - bellweather company
    - relatively good compensation package

Cons

- marketing & communications is an after thought with rest of the company
    - lost alot of smart loyal people through several rounds of redundancies
    - internal processes are awful- too painful to hire people, use budget, share content, do annual planning, get things done in general etc

Advice to Management

- sort wheat from chaff better during redundancies
    - sort out internal processes so free up time to get actual job done

5. "Great flexibility and opportunity... for those that take it!"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a large global company Cisco is a whole ecosystem of job opportunity and progression in itself. If you have the ambition and the ability there are many opportunities to progress within your field, and also to explore opportunities in new areas.

Equality is an ethos - the board is 50% female and diverse, and that reflects all the way through the organisation. Your gender, ethnicity, country are not barriers to how successful you can be and the opportunities you will have. A lot of internal training and activities on unconscious bias, conscious leadership, diversity, inclusion. Opportunities to get involved with groups focused on all those areas: Connected Women, LBGT+ to name just a couple.

Its a flexible place to work. As one of the leading vendors of collaboration tools, a flexible approach to where and how you work is encouraged. Don't see it as a way to slack-off though. Whether you are at a desk, at home, or on your commute, everyone works hard. Its about getting the job done to a high standard, not about where you are to do that.

The Cisco ethos of #lovewhereyouwork, and of complete inclusion and diversity, really is felt throughout the organisation. Cisco is about embracing everyone, enabling them to shine to their full potential, and they really want us to enjoy being part of this 'family'. Its one of the most enjoyable places I've ever worked. Everyone I've worked in, each team, has been fun. And everyone around me is striving for best or better, without it becoming an onerous slog. Which means I am motivated to do the same.

Open and honest communication. Which has really improved in the last 12/18 months. Every month a global all-hands that literally everyone can attend. Regular communication at all levels - transparency about goals, ambitions, priorities and results. Sometimes complaints of lack of communication, but thats increasingly an exception.

Huge focus on 'giving-back' - you can apply for additional days on top of holiday to take part in your chosen community volunteering and charity work! Lots of company organised opportunities to get involved with too.

Cons

Change is a constant. Every year every part of the organisation looks at itself and says 'how can we organise differently to be better'. Annual re-orgs mean new teams, new lines of report, new focus for the job. Open to change & challenge and it can be brilliant. Not so great if you are a creature of habit!

Change isn't just about re-orgs. The tech sector is fast moving, what we sell and the tools to do our job are both moving as fast as each other. You need to be adaptable to new processes, new skills. And accepting that what you did yesterday may be old news today and you need to move on to the next thing.

You need to be noticed. Its a big place, so sitting quietly getting the job done isn't going to get you noticed and your manager today may not be your manager tomorrow, so a lot of networking, self-promotion are part of the culture.

Advice to Management

Keep up the work with ensuring internal comms is delivering the right information to the right people at the right time.

There are definitely pockets of a culture of 'those in the know' and 'the rest'. Needs to be broken.

Focus more on organising for the best interests of the company and be wise to re-orgs that are tactical for the benefit of the ambitious!

6. "Full time female staffer at Cisco UK"

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work, great colleagues and a fantastic approach to flexible working. I've found the company are happy to support any combination of office location, (or multi-locations in my case), home working and flexible hours to make your life work. Basically, as long as you're professional about getting the work done and being responsive for your collegues, you can be very flexible about configuring your work day and location(s). Presumably there are some roles where Cisco can't be so flexible, but my experience in technical work is that there are few limitations.

Cons

Some admin processes are cumbersome, although they've improved recently.

Advice to Management

I know there are existing initiatives to attract more women from university. What about targeting older women/returners too. There are plenty of talented, technical women who could be ideal contributors with some refresher training.

7. "Great opportunities for women at Cisco"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Inclusive events and efforts to expand teams with more female employees
    Opportunities for personal and professional growth
    Good health benefits and flexibility for new parents

Cons

Unequal pay?
    Many women still in traditional office management roles in a male dominated environment

8. "Cisco"

Current Employee - Business Operations Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Operations Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture where your can speak openly to your peers and senior management.
    Easy to move internally and seek new opportunities
    More focus on volunteering and STEM activities.

Cons

Working flexibly can also mean that work life balance is hard to achieve.
    A lot of focus on delivery and less on training and development.
    Salary isn't that competitive.

Advice to Management

Create more transparency around progression
    Stay in touch with new and aspiring talent as a lot of cuts and people leaving.

9. "Love working here"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Programmer Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are great. Technology fantastic! Anything possible. If you want it to happen... make it so!

Cons

Constant ongoing redundancy especially if your direct management isn't in the UK

10. "An inside out perspective on life at Cisco"

Current Employee - Services Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Services Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with the brightest and the best in the industry, dynamic fast paced environment, flexible working - work is what you do not a place you go.

Cons

Need better comms when the inevitable restructures occur - it happens we know it happens so lets be grown up about it

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage the creative and customer centric culture - we do amazing things with amazing people lets keep doing it!

Showing 181 of 12,642 reviews