Cisco Systems Program Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Cisco Systems CEO Chuck Robbins
Chuck Robbins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Let's Talk - From a Cisco Culture Enthusiast's Perspective"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Program Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

BFPWGP or Best Freaking Place to Work, Grow and Play!
    I have been with Cisco for 11 years and I am truly excited each day because I have an opportunity to think about my current role, my opportunity to grow and most important my value to the community and believe it or not earth.
    In my role, i have learned so much about the importance of Sustainability and how WE need to sever the umbilical cord to Mother Earth. Cisco creates conscious citizens that are culturally responsible and push beyond their wildest imagination. I encourage you to find an opportunity here at Cisco, I promise you will have a lasting career. #LoveWhereYouWork.

Cons

There is a lack of diversity in Cisco although great strides being made. we have a ways to go. i encourage to explore more diversity at the mid level management level.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop and improve diversity at the mid level management level. This only enhances the diverse perspectives for our Company.

Cisco Systems Response

Mar 31, 2017 – Social Media Manager

BFPWGP - you created a new acronym! Glad you feel that way - eleven years speaks that, too! You're right, diversity is key to a successful company - and I'm also seeing much more focus from Cisco in... More

2. "Strategy and Planning"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative. Care about people.

Cons

sometimes our strategy is unclear. this is getting better though.

Advice to Management

Provide more role rotation opportunities

3. "Program Manager"

Former Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many good talented and dedicated people. If they can get a consistent vision and strategy it is not too late.

Cons

What was once a company of the best and brightest in the industry is being replaced with entry level or outsourced resources in an effort to keep costs down. Regular quarterly reductions in force have everyone looking over their shoulder and fearing the next cut. Employee Innovation and inspiration has been replaced with fear and top down direction. No one wants to rock this unstable boat. Those left behind are looking for careers outside of a Cisco before they are hit next layoff.

Advice to Management

Look to the people you have left and what that experience means to the bottom line. A less experienced person can take up to 4 times as long to do the same work -

4. "Program Manager"

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company to work for with lot of focus on gender equality.

Cons

Frequent restructuring has become a norm.

Advice to Management

Cuts are dragged for weeks and months, casuing negative impact on productivity.

"Great Company to Learn From and Grow Network"

Current Employee - Sales Program Manager & Bow Tie Guy in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Program Manager & Bow Tie Guy in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cisco has 70k employees and somewhere around 40k contractors/vendors (total guesstimate) that work with us full time. We do business in over 120 countries worldwide. If you are a go-getter and have a passion for learning from work experience and global coworkers, Cisco is a perfect place to gain knowledge and grow your network which will help you through the duration of your career. Also, many roles are partial or full telecommute-roles, aka, work from home roles. Helps a lot for families with small children or folks who just live too far from a Cisco campus. There is a good range of younger, fresh out of college employees to seasoned veterans who have been in the industry for 10-30 years - so it's easy to find people that you want to hang out with or learn from.
    Their social media teams are very engaged and a lot of the groups make working at Cisco fun! The different work teams and affinity network groups host fun events such as sports tournaments, concerts, outdoor lunches, networking events, and many more. We are partnered with Ticketmaster/Live Nation, as well as sports leagues like the MLB and NBA, so you may run into free tickets occasionally.
    Great benefits (health, dental, vision, stock purchase program, 401k, life insurance), although salary is a bit low.

Cons

Free food is not a company standard, although many groups offer some free meals and snacks in the office.
    The pay is lower than the likes of Google, LinkedIn, Facebook.
    The company is so big and complex that sometimes, shy, young new hires are underutilized and underdeveloped.
    Too many meetings.
    Relatively low base salary, but benefits make up for it.

Advice to Management

Really take the time to teach and develop new hires. Give them a good understanding of their role and why it is important to Cisco's larger mission.
    Be strategic about what meetings you are making people attend - in a world of meetings, everyone is multitasking. Too many meetings lowers engagement and job satisfaction.

"Negative Environment"

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and like the Christmas shutdown. Able to spend time with family

Cons

Environment of fear of constant layoffs. No longer an team cohesiveness. Worried about who in the team will be next. Talk about valuing people but reality no one is listening. People come and go without introduction or messaging.

7. "Program Manager"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work, lots of wonderful people and tons of growth opportunity.

Cons

Promotions and pay increases were hard to come by but not impossible.

"Lot of re-Orgs"

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible work hours, Good pay package

Cons

Annual LR and Lay off, Political environment, Dont have focused vision.

Advice to Management

Eliminate waste and operation expense. Performance based Lay Offs

Cisco Systems Response

Oct 13, 2017 – HR Representative

Thank you for your review and more than five years with Cisco. The benefits are good aren't they? Did you see the recent announcement about benefits? Emergency time off that isn't PTO! Amazing. I'm... More

9. "Cisco culture degraded after Chunk Robbins' taking over"

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We can meet many talents (may be old ones) here. Overall legacy benefits are still good enough in this industry (at around, or a bit above average).
    If you can lock high position/salary, you shall take it.

Cons

After Chunk took over 2 and half year ago, he only give regular employees 2 times of promotion/salary increasing. First interval is 12 months, 2nd interval is 18 months.
    In John Chambers' time, this interval is 6 months.
    Normally, at Cisco, each time only 8 - 15% employee got promoted. Even the interval is 6 months, it takes > 3 years for a regular staff to get chance promoted in average. Now Chunk make it 18 months or more, the simple calculation will tell you that each promotion takes more than 10 years in average !
    So unless you are at your later stage of career and secure a top position, it's not wise to join Cisco. It's not friendly to its employees anymore. For average people,
    if he/she joins Cisco now, his/her career development is stalled.

Advice to Management

Treat employee in some way, our customers will be treated in the same way.

10. "Engineering Program Manager"

Former Employee - Engineering Program Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Program Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Chance to work with cutting edge tech & product in the industry; Flexible working time including work from home; ESPP/401K/Medical

Cons

Bonus and stock are less competitive; Process driven other than value driven;