Cisco Systems Reviews in Research Triangle Park, NC | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Trending Down"

Current Employee - Virtual Sales Account Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Virtual Sales Account Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Talented Team
    Strong Products
    Market Leader

Cons

Work Life Balance
    Very High Goals
    Extremely Political
    Nepotism
    Poor Management Strategy In Our Segment
    New "Collaborative" Environment has us packed like sardines and is VERY loud

Over the last 18 months there has been major changes in Cisco as a whole. Some of this change is for the good. Especially our moving to more of a licensing model. The main issue is that goals have shot through the roof and the culture has been hit drastically.

Prior to these changes we had the freedom to work in an atmosphere that promoted and strong work/life balance and a culture that was second to none. Our team was one of the most successful in all of Cisco and you could not find a person on our team that was unhappy with the culture/environment. Now it's hard to find someone that wouldn't jump ship if the opportunity presented itself.

As for goals, the first few years of my tenure with Cisco our uplifts year over year ranged from 12% - 20% which, dependent on territory, gave everyone the opportunity to be successful. My personal goals for the last couple years have exceeded 50% year over year growth and I know of teammates who's goals have exceeded 80%. When your OTE (On Target Earnings) are based on a 50/50 salary to commission structure, this kills your income. My understanding is one person on our entire team of 25 that is on target to hit goals this year.

Advice to Management

Cisco for years has promoted publicly the concept of Changing the Way We Live, Work, Play and Learn. The concept of being able to have a work life balance and how this was a priority shared by Cisco. To have the opportunity to be productive from anywhere at anytime. The idea of trusting it's employees to work from home or anywhere for that matter. And in return the employees trusting Cisco to make decisions that were in the best interest of the company and themselves.

It has become obvious that the decisions being made are no longer taking into account the people who are the backbone of Cisco.

"Culture has been replaced."

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I work in Cisco Security services, and the last 2 years have been horrible. This used to be a great company and great culture. The last 2 years over, great caring and capable managers have been replaced with newbies who operate without a care for employees and in lockstep with the new senior management.

Sadly, much of the senior management is now from places like Pepsi and sourcefire. These senior folks are dishonest, calculating and manipulative. They also have super fragile egos and fire people for simply knowing more than they do.

Cons

Having Cisco on your resume used to be a huge strength. But nowadays it's becoming a liability in the job market. That combined with the annual summer picnic and layoff, it's become a truly bad place to work.

Advice to Management

Fire no nothing management clowns who joined from Pepsi and think running Cisco Security Services is like running a soda-pop company. These clowns have destroyed Cisco Security Services and everyday, do more damage with their dishonesty and fragile egos.

3. "Toxic"

Former Contractor - IT Project Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Contractor - IT Project Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Don't have any. Maybe wasn't there long enough to have a pro. But not a fun experience I guess good was...had an overpriced cafeteria in the building.

Cons

Toxic environment. Not accepting of outsiders. Couldn't get information needed to do the job. Was set up for failure. Nothing good about experience.

Advice to Management

Training training training

"Cisco software engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

Good work life balance. Allow you to work remotely

Cons

I joined with a good salary 5 years ago as a new grad out of college, and I have seen only ONE increment of 5% in the last 5 years. It was not like I was not doing good. They kept doing re-orgs and rotated me under different managers. Each manager said I needed to establish myself with him. And each one promised me a promotion next year which didnt happen. I saw other people in other groups getting promoted or salary hiked much faster and here I am slogging under one manager after another, sometimes doing junk work that the technical leads themselves do not want to take. I stayed on because they gave me flexibility to work from home which I needed as I was facing some family issues. I looked outside and landed up with an offer that directly gave me a 45% hike. Happy to get out of here finally! I would not advise young people to join Cisco unless they know they are getting the right pay, the right recognition and growth in their careers. Each group is different, not every group need to be like mine. But move out as soon as you find out you are stagnating or you are not being just-fully rewarded/promoted, within 6 months.

Advice to Management

Please do not do ratings based on the peers in the same grade, but based on individual's performance and what is needed for that project. Promotions and salary hikes become too political, especially when you are under a new manager vs a seasoned manager who might have a good rapport with the director.

"OUTSOURCING"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

Nice facility and account team is nice

Cons

outsourced our jobs to costa rica

"Network Consulting Engineer Advanced Services"

Current Employee - Network Consulting Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Network Consulting Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Decent salary and yearly bonus
    - Ability to take advanced training in the latest technologies
    - Take a job, learn the latest technology, jump companies

Cons

- No time to take advanced training
    - Zero moral after multiple years of hunger game style layoffs
    - Use to be a positive and energizing environment, no longer the case
    - Endless stream of emails from executives congratulating themselves

Advice to Management

Next round of limited restructuring needs to be in executive management

"Looks good on resume if you can take the job long enough to keep it on a resume"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, contributors or non management are usually pretty helpful and great people to work with. You will need this to grow, not get a raise or higher position in the company, but just to grow as an individual. Employees teach each other, all do it yourself style. Not much as far as a how to internally. Work from home, that is a huge plus, but also grants yourself to working longer hours.

Cons

Basically no pay raises. Very hard to get yourself put out there as a great contributor. Usually receive a new manager 1 to 2 months before the yearly review which could give you a raise. Easiest way to say, sorry I dont know how good/bad you are, so no raise this year, again. Tired of always working late and hard work being input and nothing getting out. Looking for a new position in another company. Beware if you request a raise too much with the recent yearly employee head chopping, your head will be on the block pretty quickly. Not enough internal communication is given to employees. Too much money spent on buying new companies when Senior Management turn around, fire 4,000 people and say its to keep our stock holders happy. Funny thing is all full time employees are basically stock holders, so who is really supposed to be the happy ones? Yearly survey is sent out, nothing really done with the bad parts, all meetings skip those questions. Too many meetings about things that have nothing to do with your actual work. Example: IT meeting, all hands. All IT must attend. Basically 2 hours talking about how sales is doing and how the cisco.com home page was created. If you work in the NW team, and never deal with that, it was a wasted 2 hours basically.

Advice to Management

Work towards a goal that internal employees can actually see. Stop pushing all these re-orgs after Cisco buys various companies that get sold 2 years later. Acquasitions are usually supposed to help a company not just bring in more employees that can be easily laid off later. Instead of buying a company to get rid of the competition, create something that will help push Cisco higher. The switch/router industry is seeing a major change and I doubt the present Cisco model is ready for it.

"I love Cisco but you are overworked, unappreciated, underpaid and they don't want anything but "yes" people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work remotely, good benefits, accommodating to family issues.

Cons

Too political, promotion by cronyism. It is not what you know that allows you to get ahead, it is who you know. The rating and ranking system does not work, a good employee can get rated with Needs Improvement just because a metric needs to be met. You are not rated on your actual value.

Advice to Management

Bring back some of the good people you just let go, and look beyond favoritism to when making decisions to lay people off. Change the rating and ranking program, a good employee should not be marked as Needs Improvement because one manager in the meeting has a more over powering presence than another one.

"stressful, a lot of politics, unfair reward"

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

big company, a lot of employers, opportunities within the company

Cons

you don't get rewarded no matter how hard you try, it's mostly about politics,
    frequent layoffs even after growing profits, they always have to find bottom 5% even if all the team members tried hard. nonsense company

Advice to Management

wake up, stop bullshitting

"24 years as technical support engineer"

Former Employee - TAC Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - TAC Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great customer experience. Bleeding edge technology

Cons

They get rid of long time employees and outsource their work to India and Costa Rica. The customer support suffers and the customer satisfaction plummets and all they care about is the bottom line. There is no loyalty anymore. They do not care about the employee or the customer. It is all about metrics. Take a case close a case.

Advice to Management

Respect and appreciate your AMERICAN born work force

Showing 17 of 12,602 reviews