Cisco Systems Reviews in Research Triangle Park, NC | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Customer Success Manager"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Teamwork Culture; benefits; opportunities to advance your career; recognized as a thought leader in the industry; tools levied to get the job done; freedom to try a new approach- not just a one size fits all for the job.

Cons

sometimes change is slow- but that is typical for a very large organization;

Advice to Management

continue to listen to those in "the field" and allow us to contribute to needed changes, best practices- continue to foster the environment that we have right now that encourages us to think of ways to constantly improve

2. "Good company that must prioritize hiring top talent and reducing layoffs"

Current Employee - Service Operations Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Service Operations Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Industry leader for 20+ years, Cisco manages to re-invent itself during market transitions, leaving competitors in the dust. Plenty of challenging work, you're surrounded by strong talent willing to collaborate in cross-functional projects to achieve goals. The complete compensation package & benefits seem better than industry average. Cisco manages finances as I do: Being frugal and debt free. The company has an enormous amount of cash available to survive tough times and take advantage of acquisition opportunities.

Cons

More political and more turf wars than it used to be. Still a good place compared to other companies though. No job security, more layoffs than similar companies - that's the price you pay for being a large company that must move fast through market transitions. Cisco is quick to let go of investments that aren't paying off and lay off people to cut costs when the quarter didn't go as expected.

Advice to Management

Layoffs may cut costs, but also scare people away. Not a good thing when Cisco hasn't appeared on the top 50 companies to work for in a long time (probably for that same reason). Leaders must prioritize attracting the best talent in the industry and find ways to reduce layoffs. Cisco used to pride itself as a company that hires the top 5%. That's when Cisco consistently appeared on the top 5 places to work in the nation. Cisco dropped off the top 50 companies to work for many years ago. The best talent graduating from schools don't even know who is Cisco. New hires are usually those that didn't get a job with Google, Apple or Facebook; and they come into the company nervous about layoffs.

3. "Good company to work for, esp. in RTP"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture in RTP is really good. The people are nice to each other.

Cons

They have regular layoffs almost every year.

4. "Network Consulting Engineer - Intern"

Current Intern - Intern in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Intern - Intern in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of really smart people who are willing to help you learn and grow. Great teamwork and opportunities to advance

Cons

As with any company or organization, there is both good and bad leadership. Some of Cisco's employee program/pipelines are too rigid in their structure and don't allow for flexibility even when requirements applied to the employee stretch beyond the program.

Advice to Management

Learn to take care of your people and not just yourselves, if you are going to practice what you preach in regards to the "People Deal"
    As Simon Sinek puts it... "Weak leaders have the luxury of looking after themselves. Great leaders have the honor of looking after others." But most large companies fail at this by in large as a whole so I wouldn't expect much change here.

5. "Trending Down"

Current Employee - Virtual Sales Account Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Virtual Sales Account Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Talented Team
    Strong Products
    Market Leader

Cons

Work Life Balance
    Very High Goals
    Extremely Political
    Nepotism
    Poor Management Strategy In Our Segment
    New "Collaborative" Environment has us packed like sardines and is VERY loud

Over the last 18 months there has been major changes in Cisco as a whole. Some of this change is for the good. Especially our moving to more of a licensing model. The main issue is that goals have shot through the roof and the culture has been hit drastically.

Prior to these changes we had the freedom to work in an atmosphere that promoted and strong work/life balance and a culture that was second to none. Our team was one of the most successful in all of Cisco and you could not find a person on our team that was unhappy with the culture/environment. Now it's hard to find someone that wouldn't jump ship if the opportunity presented itself.

As for goals, the first few years of my tenure with Cisco our uplifts year over year ranged from 12% - 20% which, dependent on territory, gave everyone the opportunity to be successful. My personal goals for the last couple years have exceeded 50% year over year growth and I know of teammates who's goals have exceeded 80%. When your OTE (On Target Earnings) are based on a 50/50 salary to commission structure, this kills your income. My understanding is one person on our entire team of 25 that is on target to hit goals this year.

Advice to Management

Cisco for years has promoted publicly the concept of Changing the Way We Live, Work, Play and Learn. The concept of being able to have a work life balance and how this was a priority shared by Cisco. To have the opportunity to be productive from anywhere at anytime. The idea of trusting it's employees to work from home or anywhere for that matter. And in return the employees trusting Cisco to make decisions that were in the best interest of the company and themselves.

It has become obvious that the decisions being made are no longer taking into account the people who are the backbone of Cisco.

"Little concerned about Cisco's long term success"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Can work from home, but some departments are calling in remote workers.
    The little decisions can be made by the Individual Contributors. Pay is higher than most companies in RTP.
    Ethical Company, Ethical employees

Cons

Cisco really doesn't do risky business ventures, especially outside it stand core competencies. Company and BU all-hands have vision, but I don't think it's broad strategic enough for a direction to success. I'm concerned that this may shrink the company more than grow it.

Advice to Management

1. Please evaluate new building configurations in RTP. I couldn't hear my self think and yet individual team managements are pulling in all their remote workers, and I know I was not alone holding concentration in the mobile worker cubes.

2. Please take risks and start expanding the product line beyond the company core competencies.

"Cisco Work Environment"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technologies
    Plenty of training if you so desire
    22 PTO days a year
    Flexibility (teleworker)
    Good Benefits
    401k Matching
    Life Insurance
    Mid-year and End-of-year bonuses
    Employee Stock purchase program
    Indoor and Outdoor recreational facilities onsite
    Cafeteria onsite

Cons

Quarterly lay offs.
    Lack of job security regardless of employee or group performance
    All innovation comes from acquisitions.
    Politics, Politics, Politics...
    Solution overlap between groups/business units

Advice to Management

Due to frequent layoffs, Cisco employees tend to focus more on where they can jump next (whether inside or outside Cisco) for job security rather than being successful in their current role.

I am not sure how to fix this, but I can certainly tell you this is the mentality of most of the employees at Cisco theses days.

"Technical Lead"

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, and good benefits. Often good co-workers.

Cons

Management views workers as replaceable "cogs" in the machine. Except at the immediate management level, there is little concern for preserving skills built up by team members.

Advice to Management

Create a real "People Deal", where you make it clear that the people really matter.

9. "Good company in transition"

Former Contractor - Consultant in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Contractor - Consultant in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

leading edge technology, willing to try new markets, entrepreneurial attitude

Cons

In transition from hardware company to services, lots of churn in project funding, people let go without much warning

Advice to Management

Stick to projects longer

10. "All depends on what team/group you are on."

Former Contractor - Network Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Contractor - Network Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, experience, Basically it all depends on what team and/or organization your are on.

Cons

Layoffs are always hanging over your head. Depends on your team and environment.

Showing 366 of 12,424 reviews