Cisco Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Senior Business Operations Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Operations Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Flexibility, great benefits, competitive salary, positive work environment
    Have worked at another company since leaving and realized how well Cisco takes care of their employees. Current employees should be very thankful because the grass is definitely not greener on the other side.

Cons

The area the company needs to focus on is laying off the employees who are not performing or are on performance improvement plans. I saw a lot of very talented and intelligent employees with proven track records get impacted by the layoffs and noticed the under performing employees are still there. They also need to spend some time focusing on the international employees as well. I worked with a lot of international folks who were not performing but managed to not be impacted by the layoffs due to country laws. The company really needs to take a closer look at that as well.

Advice to Management

Spend more time having meaningful 1 on 1 conversations with employees. Understand that as a business leader/manager it is your job to do what is best for the business and at times that means managing people out of the company or realizing they are in the wrong job, but good for the company and helping them find a new home for themselves within the company. Management needs to be accountable. The company needs to do a better job of ensuring the right person, someone who has leadership skills and enjoys coaching and mentoring, is selected for leadership positions. Being a manager needs to be taken very seriously.

Cisco Systems Response

Jun 14, 2016 – Cisco Employee

Thank you for your review! Everything you mentioned is a fair statement about Cisco. We are addressing the issue with layoffs, but as you know our environment is constantly changing and layoffs are ... More

2. "Friendly environment with lots of flexibility to work from telecommute sight."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

Good benefits here (the insurance & the career), and a flexible schedule (one must be available during business hours via telecommute).

Cons

I don't have any cons to mention currently.

Advice to Management

None

3. "It is a place filled with lots of opportunity and challenges."

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

A good thing is that being that it is a very large company you have access to a lot of excellent resources.

Cons

This company is a very large and very matrix like organization - this can make the process quite hard to understand.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, very happy.

5. "Ideal environment for me given the opportunity for growth, and the benefits packages."

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

The benefits are excellent, the culture, the communication and confidence in management. The access to resources to do my job.

Cons

It is a large organization and can take longer to run through the chain. I sometimes prefer a start up company with easier access to everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the employees.

6. "Demanding but well rewarded position."

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

This company is a sure leader, and we have lots of resources to work with here. Those are big plusses.

Cons

The problems I see at the company are the following: A very short term focus, and competing demands for time.

Advice to Management

Try for a better balance between short term numbers and the longer term strategic things you want to be done.

"The perfect company for cool dorks."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL

Pros

Cisco is a leader across many different sub-industries within IT: routing, switching, storage, VoIP, wireless, optical, application acceleration, etc. which allows sales engineers to gain a wide breadth of knowledge and exposure across many different technologies and products. Working with Cisco is very fast paced and you get to play with cutting edge technology that has not been released to the mainstream public yet. Cisco sales managers do no micromanage; they give their employees all the freedom and resources needed to get their job done.

Cons

If you don't love electronics or gadgets or computers, you will be lost. You have to love technology to succeed or you will be too overwhelmed.

When working in sales where customer satisfaction is paramount, sometimes this means you have to make yourself available during non-standard working hours.

Also, because attrition within Cisco is minimal, promotions to management positions within Cisco might be harder to obtain because few managers want to leave.

Advice to Management

Continue to execute on our 5 year strategy, but realize, the more industries we enter and the more companies we acquire, the sales guys are the ones that have to get up to speed on our ever expanding portfolio.

8. "Cisco Values the Employees"

Current Employee - Customer Service in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in San Jose, CA

Pros

Cisco is a great company. The are very intune with their employees and conscious of the Life/Work balance. Cisco allow you to telecommute 2 days a week.

Cons

Personally, I honestly cannot think of a downside!! Sorry!

Advice to Management

Be more communicative with the front line.

9. "Cisco is a fantastic place to work, learn, and collaborate."

Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

Pros

Very collaborative environment where people work across functions to get the job done.

I have been at Cisco a year and been very impressed with the caliber of employees and their thinking.
    I came to learn how other companies work, and have learned a lot about Cisco approach to business stargey form john Chambers himself at town hall meetings. I have been very impressed with the level of involvement John has with employees of this big company -- he is one of the premier business strategists on the planet, and yet is very approachable.

Cons

Some vestiges of big company bureaucracy, but that's changing. John Chambers has emphaiszed collaboration and has accelerated this through a series of online initiatives.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

10. "Amazing company"

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

Cisco fosters the perfect environment for technical innovation. Going to work doesn't involve the superficial necessities that jobs in finance require such as wearing a suit every day. The hours are extremely flexible and rewards completion of work rather than physical presence in the office. Cisco's upcoming technologies are extremely exciting.

Cons

The nature of the work tends to spawn people who are too tech-oriented and don't necessarily know how to have a good time. That is the only possible downside i could see.

Advice to Management

I think it is important to understand how supportive Senior Management is in general. I would tell them to continue keeping innovation as a top priority.

11. "Being a part of the Cisco Family"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Richardson, TX

Pros

Cisco is a great place to work for many reasons:

1. As an employee, you are considered a valuable resource. John Chambers, our CEO, often refers to us as the "Cisco Family", and the company tries to treat everyone like they are a family member.

2. Flexible work environment: I often telecommute several times a week. I really only have to come in when I have collaborative face-to-face meetings with other engineers. As long as I'm being productive and adding to the team, I've never been hassled for working from home.

3. Cisco benefits are competitive. Not only do they offer the major financial benefits, but they also pay for my cell phone, home phone, & internet connection. I also have been given lots of opportunities to try out products in my home.

4. Great work/life balance. I insist on working only 40 hours/wk and not checking my email on the weekends. I've gone 3 years with no complaints on that. I often duck out of work early or come in late for doctors appts or other family affairs. My manager and Cisco as a whole is very insistent that you do what's best for you and your family first.

Cons

If you are uncomfortable with change, Cisco might not be the place for you. There are significant leadership and strategy changes as we adapt to different markets. Many projects we work on are started and stopped haphazardly by product marketing or senior leadership.

Cisco often competes against itself, which can be frustrating at times. This is why you probably shouldn't get too attached to one product or technology, cause you probably won't be working on it for long. You will often walk a fine line between quality and time-to-market.

Advice to Management

Give me a cube with a window.

Showing 10,335 of 11,301 reviews