Cisco Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Chuck Robbins
1,306 Ratings

7,385 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • it can sometimes get overloaded - you are the only one responsible with your work/life balance (in 358 reviews)

• Big company - very specialized jobs (in 297 reviews)

1. "Friendly environment with lots of flexibility to work from telecommute sight."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

Good benefits here (the insurance & the career), and a flexible schedule (one must be available during business hours via telecommute).

Cons

I don't have any cons to mention currently.

Advice to Management

None

2. "It is a place filled with lots of opportunity and challenges."

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

A good thing is that being that it is a very large company you have access to a lot of excellent resources.

Cons

This company is a very large and very matrix like organization - this can make the process quite hard to understand.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, very happy.

3. "Ideal environment for me given the opportunity for growth, and the benefits packages."

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

The benefits are excellent, the culture, the communication and confidence in management. The access to resources to do my job.

Cons

It is a large organization and can take longer to run through the chain. I sometimes prefer a start up company with easier access to everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the employees.

5. "Demanding but well rewarded position."

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

This company is a sure leader, and we have lots of resources to work with here. Those are big plusses.

Cons

The problems I see at the company are the following: A very short term focus, and competing demands for time.

Advice to Management

Try for a better balance between short term numbers and the longer term strategic things you want to be done.

"The perfect company for cool dorks."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL

Pros

Cisco is a leader across many different sub-industries within IT: routing, switching, storage, VoIP, wireless, optical, application acceleration, etc. which allows sales engineers to gain a wide breadth of knowledge and exposure across many different technologies and products. Working with Cisco is very fast paced and you get to play with cutting edge technology that has not been released to the mainstream public yet. Cisco sales managers do no micromanage; they give their employees all the freedom and resources needed to get their job done.

Cons

If you don't love electronics or gadgets or computers, you will be lost. You have to love technology to succeed or you will be too overwhelmed.

When working in sales where customer satisfaction is paramount, sometimes this means you have to make yourself available during non-standard working hours.

Also, because attrition within Cisco is minimal, promotions to management positions within Cisco might be harder to obtain because few managers want to leave.

Advice to Management

Continue to execute on our 5 year strategy, but realize, the more industries we enter and the more companies we acquire, the sales guys are the ones that have to get up to speed on our ever expanding portfolio.

7. "Cisco Values the Employees"

Current Employee - Customer Service in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in San Jose, CA

Pros

Cisco is a great company. The are very intune with their employees and conscious of the Life/Work balance. Cisco allow you to telecommute 2 days a week.

Cons

Personally, I honestly cannot think of a downside!! Sorry!

Advice to Management

Be more communicative with the front line.

8. "Cisco is a fantastic place to work, learn, and collaborate."

Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

Pros

Very collaborative environment where people work across functions to get the job done.

I have been at Cisco a year and been very impressed with the caliber of employees and their thinking.
    I came to learn how other companies work, and have learned a lot about Cisco approach to business stargey form john Chambers himself at town hall meetings. I have been very impressed with the level of involvement John has with employees of this big company -- he is one of the premier business strategists on the planet, and yet is very approachable.

Cons

Some vestiges of big company bureaucracy, but that's changing. John Chambers has emphaiszed collaboration and has accelerated this through a series of online initiatives.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

9. "Being a part of the Cisco Family"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Richardson, TX

Pros

Cisco is a great place to work for many reasons:

1. As an employee, you are considered a valuable resource. John Chambers, our CEO, often refers to us as the "Cisco Family", and the company tries to treat everyone like they are a family member.

2. Flexible work environment: I often telecommute several times a week. I really only have to come in when I have collaborative face-to-face meetings with other engineers. As long as I'm being productive and adding to the team, I've never been hassled for working from home.

3. Cisco benefits are competitive. Not only do they offer the major financial benefits, but they also pay for my cell phone, home phone, & internet connection. I also have been given lots of opportunities to try out products in my home.

4. Great work/life balance. I insist on working only 40 hours/wk and not checking my email on the weekends. I've gone 3 years with no complaints on that. I often duck out of work early or come in late for doctors appts or other family affairs. My manager and Cisco as a whole is very insistent that you do what's best for you and your family first.

Cons

If you are uncomfortable with change, Cisco might not be the place for you. There are significant leadership and strategy changes as we adapt to different markets. Many projects we work on are started and stopped haphazardly by product marketing or senior leadership.

Cisco often competes against itself, which can be frustrating at times. This is why you probably shouldn't get too attached to one product or technology, cause you probably won't be working on it for long. You will often walk a fine line between quality and time-to-market.

Advice to Management

Give me a cube with a window.

10. "Cisco is an amazing place to work!"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Overland Park, KS

Pros

There are so many opportunities for learning and advancement within Cicso. It's a fantastic place to continue to hone your technical skills, and what better place to do it then at the company that made the router ubiquitous. Some may say that Cisco has become slow or unresponsive as it's gotten bigger, but I never worked in a company with so many people willing to go above and beyond for you and/or the customer. You won't get as many stock options as you would at a start-up, but Cisco stock is actually worth money.

Cons

It really depends on what your position is in Cisco. In pre-sales where I am, the main downside is the difficulty of getting features that I need inserted into the code so my customer will buy Cisco. Other then that, there really aren't any downsides as long as you work hard.

Advice to Management

Create a good succession plan for Chambers. He's brought this company a long way, and I don't want to see a changing of the guard bring it down.

11. "Great jobs at Cisco and ways to move up"

Current Employee - Web Developer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in San Jose, CA

Pros

The ability to move up.

Cons

The consulting job isn't enough benefits.

Advice to Management

The vision and steps that Cisco are going are what I have vision for the future. I'm glad a lot of the management team are seeing the Vision the same way as their employee.

Showing 7,385 of 11,549 reviews