Cisco Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Cisco Systems Reviews

Updated June 19, 2017

Pros
  • Best work life balance in the industry (in 1771 reviews)

• I get to work from home multiple days per week (in 881 reviews)

Cons
  • it can sometimes get overloaded - you are the only one responsible with your work/life balance (in 373 reviews)

• a big company like Cisco normally has less efficiency system (in 304 reviews)

"Not the Best Culture"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Jose, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Probably a good place to work if you are a Cisco proper employee.

Cons

The fact that Cisco employs many of its workers via vendors creates a caste system within the company. It's very obvious who is an who isn't a direct employee by how people are treated. Additionally, you can see how companies filter what is being communicated to the client so they can maintain their business. Cisco managers are too quick on the trigger to get rid of vendor instead of looking at what the true problem is. I have seen a situation where four vendor employees were let go in the same exact position. I know for a fact that the issue wasn't the employees, but the situation they were placed in.

Advice to Management

Look at your structure and understand what the real issues are, instead of playing a shell game with venders.

"End of an era?"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Remote work is the norm
    2. Even contractors are empowered to make big decisions

Cons

1. Unannounced layoffs are the new normal at Cisco ... literally every month there are big layoffs
    2. a large number of jobs at Cisco are going off-shore so be prepared to repeatedly prove that your skills cannot be outsourced without a serious loss to the product/team/bottom line
    3. highly political organization & lots of disinformation ... assume you really do NOTknow what is going on even if you are being given information
    4. contractors are treated very poorly, even if they provide a big value add to the organization
    5. Cisco is in crisis ... there are re-orgs with alarmingly high frequency; this is to be expected with the massive changes brought in by Chuck.

Advice to Management

With such a high turnover, moral has really started to suffer. I left Cisco in early 2017 because I no longer felt it was I had stability and was constantly looking for other jobs "just in case". Also Cisco has lost its' ability to innovate without acquisitions and all the layoffs will compound problem because talented engineers are now departing.

"Cisco Has Lost Its Way"

Former Employee - Senior Director in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in San Jose, CA

Pros

Laser focus on customers-partners has always been embedded in the company's DNA.

Cons

Constant layoffs- dismissing senior technical talent who are loved by their customers and/or are recognized in the industry; gross mis-steps in cloud; a toxic environment of fear has set into various organizations because of these sudden dismissals especially when the company is profitable. As one would assess a product for fair trade, I strongly believe the treatment of people should be a factor in determining whether or not one wishes to do business with the company. Should you work at the company -- go for a very very short ride only. As a shareholder - I am deeply concerned.

Advice to Management

When you agree to such dismissals: be an example and depart first and/or ask for volunteers transparently. There is no People Deal -- it was broken sometime ago. Wearing jeans-dancing in the corridor insults the very people you wish to attract and retain. The company I once worked for has lost its way. Shame....

"Was once a great IT department, not anymore due to a corrupt CIO."

Former Employee - Senior IT Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work with greatly talented people.
    Flexible work arrangements are good.

Cons

The leadership team in IT is corrupt starting with the CIO. People are promoted for the most vague reasons. The claim they act with integrity till you find family relatives of the CIO working in her reporting chain. She actually continued to manage family members, who benefitted financially from outsourcing deals even after moving to her role as COO under new CEO. The new CIO is one of her watchdogs, who also is known to promote people based on racial agenda. He has no achievements and just a talking head. It is still Jacoby in the house with G keeping the status quo. They witch hunted many good people managers who were forced to leave.

Advice to Management

Get rid of both the COO and CIO. Bring some of the great people managers who made this IT house great once.

"Political organization"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

* Challenges on a big scale

Cons

* Lots of it. They should have fired everyone with a manager/senior manager title.

Advice to Management

* You should sit and realize why companies far less your size (example Amazon) a few years ago have quadrupled in valuation, while you are stuck at 30$ a share.

"Culture has been replaced."

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I work in Cisco Security services, and the last 2 years have been horrible. This used to be a great company and great culture. The last 2 years over, great caring and capable managers have been replaced with newbies who operate without a care for employees and in lockstep with the new senior management.

Sadly, much of the senior management is now from places like Pepsi and sourcefire. These senior folks are dishonest, calculating and manipulative. They also have super fragile egos and fire people for simply knowing more than they do.

Cons

Having Cisco on your resume used to be a huge strength. But nowadays it's becoming a liability in the job market. That combined with the annual summer picnic and layoff, it's become a truly bad place to work.

Advice to Management

Fire no nothing management clowns who joined from Pepsi and think running Cisco Security Services is like running a soda-pop company. These clowns have destroyed Cisco Security Services and everyday, do more damage with their dishonesty and fragile egos.

7. "I didnt like it"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in San Jose, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

big company with open culture

Cons

the project is not defined and you dont get to learn anything.

"there are many companies to work for.."

Current Employee - Technical Leader in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Leader in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you know how to lick your manager or multiple Indian directors ...this is best company for you

Cons

too many Indian managers in Engineering, that mean no work & life balance

Advice to Management

What is use of advice if that does not work

"Who could be motivated or inspried by working at Cisco?"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Fishers, IN
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Fishers, IN

I have been working at Cisco Systems (More than 10 years)

Pros

No need to sell as you simply need to rely on the partner community to do all the work. Cisco management simply sits around all day and scrutinizes salesforce.com. Meetings everyday over your forecast so they can push the number up to the top. Sell without regard to the partner or customer.

Cons

Nothing matters but your forecast which will be analyzed hourly. But even if you hit your hourly, weekly, monthly and quarterly number chances are that another 5,000 to 6,000 empolyees will be terminated without regard on August 1st.

Advice to Management

Get your head out of the forecast and manage so that another market transition like Could computing isn't missed and another 6,000 employees aren't terminated without any explanation

Cisco Systems Response

Oct 25, 2016 – Cisco Employee

Hi there. It sounds like your concerns are worth brining to your team. As someone who has been with Cisco for 10+ years we we value your perspective, however, we must disagree with your statement ... More

10. "Worked for more then 2 years"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked working there and pay was nice

Cons

I didnt like it there

Showing 434 of 12,121 reviews