Cisco Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

11,455 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Great place to work, working from home is the reason I stay."

Current Employee - Product Security Incident Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Product Security Incident Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Allow you to work from home, great benefits package, flexible hours and locations. In particular, as a single mom working from home allows me to still spend time with my daughter and interact heavily with my nanny to ensure my daughter is being raised right. I also like the opportunities under my current management chain for growth and success.

Cons

Competitive environment, high expectations, travel, long hours. These are rare compared to the everyday benefits though.

Advice to Management

Let more people work from home full time, it's a great benefit. Be a bit more persistent in our corporate and product direction, less changes every year.

2. "It's an exciting time to work at Cisco"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in San Jose, CA

Pros

I'm mobile/remote. 100% telecommuter. My whole team is

Cons

Feedback is hard to come by

Advice to Management

Keep it up

3. "Good company on the road to make itself a great."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Jose, CA

Pros

Great benefits, excellent work environment and peers--i never had any issues with any manager. The work flow is steady. Managers are smart. Frugal, but understand when money needs to be spent. Education their employees is important to them and they have a pleathora of workshops to get engineers and managers up to speed. I love using their collaboration tools--they test products with their employees before sending them out customers. I think it's smart and increase our productivity. As a mobile worker, I find i spend more time working outside the office than at the office. Cisco is very flexible in how we work, and that improves how we live, play, and learn.

Cons

Lower than average salary for G&A. However engineers get paid very well. Upper level management communication is lacking which is directly correlated to its vertical hierarchy. Too many lines of management. 2500 directors in the company, i wonder how many managers there are.

Advice to Management

We emphasize collaboration, but it's closer to command and control from upper level management. recently however, they are changing and making it the number one priority to emphasize collaboration--to empower the people below to make faster decisions.

"This company bends over backwards to ensure employee happiness and work/life balance."

Current Employee - Web Program/Project Manager in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Web Program/Project Manager in Durham, NC

Pros

The company is extremely progressive in trying new methods of working; i.e. telecommuting, social networking, collaboration etc. They are concerned about the environment and are urging everyone to go "Green".
    The people are friendly and the managers are very supportive both professionally and personally. This company bends over backwards to ensure employee happiness and work/life balance.

Cons

I can't think of any. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've worked under several managers here and most of them have been extremely good managers and made working at Cisco a pleasure.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

5. "Cisco is an outstanding place to live your dream career"

Current Employee - Senior Director Shared Services in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director Shared Services in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Cisco is growing! There are a wide range of career opportunities for motivated workers. They encourage employees to continuously learn and add to their skills. They recognize achievements fairly and promote based on accomplishments. It is a fast paced environment where team work is cherished. There are no boundaries and innovation is sacred. Your input will be valued if it is valuable. You can live your dreams at Cisco

Cons

It is a very large company. Rather than consentrating on being a superstar you must concentrate on being an outstanding team member. You are measured on the value you bring to the project, team, organization and most importantly the customer. This may be more difficult for people who tend to do better solo.

Advice to Management

Continue to monitor the satisfaction and performance of your employees. Be careful not to overlook those who may be more reserved and less outgoing.

6. "Cisco, the greatest place to work!"

Current Employee - Education Specialist in Merrimack, NH
    Current Employee - Education Specialist in Merrimack, NH

Pros

They take very good care of their employees. They support and encourage individual thought and expression. They foster an environment of creativity. You are given a high degree of responsibility to effect and affect the outcome of any particular project.

Cons

There are no particular downsides for working at Cisco Systems

Advice to Management

Keep doing the great job we have all come to respect and expect!

7. "Love it and can't imagine working anywhere else."

Current Employee - Web Marketing Manager in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Web Marketing Manager in Portsmouth, NH

Pros

People are treated like they are family. Lots of opportunities, great work/life balance and support from co-workers and management when times are tough, or even when you just need to spend time with your family. Great salaries and benefits, discounts, savings plans, great use of leading edge technology, ability to work from home without being penalized. Amazing leadership by extremely smart people. Great opportunity to learn and be challenged.

Cons

While working remotely is mostly encouraged, there are fewer and fewer opportunities for leadership outside of the main San Jose campus.

Advice to Management

Recognize that people don't have to be based in San Jose to be great workers and leaders.

8. "Proud to be a part of the Cisco family"

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in San Jose, CA

Pros

Cisco cares about the employee and the environment as well as the shareholders. Cisco is an influential company with a large stake in the development and health of the global economy. People listen to you more carefully when you have a Cisco logo on your card. No other company has the ability to take risks and execute strategy the way that Cisco does. Leadership at Cisco means just that - it's a company that really values the ability of creative people to inspire greatness in others. Fair compensation and good benefits.

Cons

It's a large company and process can sometimes become cumbersome.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the future market transitions and allow the rest of the company the freedom to execute. Remain committed to innovation in all forms.

9. "Cisco's great"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

You are encouraged to collaborate and seek visibility, even externally. Some employees can even work from home or in a remote office. Managers are generally open minded and encourage asking tough questions and challenging the status quo. Industry Leader. Still a growth company. Compensation and benefits are excellent. For instance, the medical and dental package is 2nd to none and much better than most other comparable companies. “If you are uncomfortable with change, Cisco might not be the place for you. There are significant leadership and strategy changes as we adapt to different markets. Many projects we work on are started and stopped haphazardly by product marketing or senior leadership.

Cons

“- Many things in the new hire process are unorganized for new employees. I particularly dislike the 2+ week overhead trying to get initial items setup.
    - Expectations for corporate culture may be put on badges, but I am not feeling the type of camaraderie that I had, nor the new employee immersing expectations that occurred for my last job with "Big Chip Inc". It's starting to feel like more people are there putting in their 9 - 5 instead of being there because they enjoy their work more. Then again I am biased and so is my viewpoint of being a Software Engineer.”

Advice to Management

“Please start thinking more like engineers and less like business people. I feel like too many suits are running the show without considering the possible side-effects of poor design decisions or the like. “If you are uncomfortable with change, Cisco might not be the place for you. There are significant leadership and strategy changes as we adapt to different markets. Many projects we work on are started and stopped haphazardly by product marketing or senior leadership.

10. "I love Cisco!"

Current Employee - Consulting Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Consulting Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

They trust you to get you job done with little supervision. I can usually set the times I travel and develop my own pace of what I want to work on. Usually I can set my schedule up to a month out and I will know what I'm working on. Managers work with you to ensure that you are helping you and the bottom line of Cisco.

I also like the flexible hours and the allowance of working from my home. Many times I will not get inspired until late at night and I will work in to the early morning. As long as I meet my commitments for the next day, Cisco supports me working when I need to.

Cons

Little guidance on what it takes to get promoted to the next level. Many companies have this problem where they have fuzzy guidance as to what it really takes to move up to the next level. I think this is a problem for those that are task oriented (as that is one of the skills Cisco Hires). If there were a specific matrix that helped guide people to where they want to be in 3-5 years and even 10 years out, then Cisco would have a world class system of retaining people as one would always know where one's career is going.

Advice to Management

Develop a set of matrics on what it takes to get promoted from one position to another. Needs to be more specific.

Showing 11,455 of 12,598 reviews