Cisco Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Very Happy at Cisco"

Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Omaha, NE

Pros

Cisco is a great place to work. Coming out of college I was looking for an employer that would not only be financially rewarding in the short term, but also a company that would add value to me as a person and a worker. As such I was extremely pleased to be accepted into the Cisco Sales Associate Program, a year long training program that provides technical training, teaches sales skills and business acumen. The training was excellent and I feel well prepared now that I'm in a full time sales role. The pay's great, the opportunity for Cisco and it's employees is incredible, and I'm looking forward to a bright future ahead of me with Cisco. Most compelling however is the quality of people I work with. I've been thoroughly impressed with the diversity of experience and strong wills within the sales organization. All in all Cisco's a great place to start a career and I couldn't be happier.

Cons

Needless to say the great rewards are a result of great demands. This means often working long hours, particularly as a new salesman. However, I wouldn't rate it as excessive or unreasonable given the position. In addition to demands on time, they demand results. This means occasionally employees are let go for underperforming, and some people are uncomfortable with such quantitative metrics. Moreover, if you're not too interested in technology and what it can do for businesses, schools, governments, and individual's lives, then obviously Cisco's not the place to be. I would imagine as well that when Cisco was primarily a route/switch vendor it was harder to get excited about the technology, but now everyone from Jack Bauer to Michael Scott's using our stuff.

Advice to Management

Continue to be visionaries and catch the important market transitions. I like how senior leadership is very ambitious in our goals and transparent to the financial community- hopefully my stock options will pay off because of it! Only small bit of advice would be to further invest in vertical resources- both in technology and personnel. Our customers seem to appreciate the increased focus.

2. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Systems Test Eng in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Test Eng in San Jose, CA

Pros

As long as it's in networking if you get bored in one area you can move to almost any other area.

Cons

It can be slow to change, in certain areas that are changing quickly.

Advice to Management

Have them try to be more universal and policies rather than letting each BU decide on its own.

3. "Best in the world..."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

I love Cisco. My role in sales is very fast paced and rewarding, both personally and financially. The Cisco family is unstoppable when it wants to be. Senior leaders are energized about the company and communicate our vision and strategy with clarity.

Cons

Cisco is a large company with a complex set of corporate initiatives and solutions. You will need your thinking cap to be successful.

Advice to Management

Prune the dead wood. Cisco has many employees at the 1st and 2nd level of management that don't lead and won't make hard decisions.

4. "Cisco -- great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

"Network as a platform" is like selling an invisible swiss army knife.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

5. "Wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Corporate Counsel in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Counsel in San Jose, CA

Pros

Cisco is such a great place to work--the senior management emphasizes integrity and productivity. For a company of its size, politics are not such a big issue. Cisco is a great place to work remotely too. Benefits and career opportunities are good and compensation is roughly in the mid to high range compared to other comparable companies.

Cons

It's hard to ramp up at first--because it's such a large place and there are a lot of internal systems and lingo to learn. Unless you're a director and manage at least 4-6 people, you are in a cube. Sometimes it's hard to know who to reach out to for information on various topics.

Advice to Management

Consider converting more buildings into flexible work spaces like building 14.

6. "The best in class."

Current Employee - Product Sales Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Product Sales Specialist in Tampa, FL

Pros

Flexible work environment. Part of a world-class company with strong ethics and employee empowerment. Great options to explore opportunities in technology and leadership. It's a competitive and highly motivated work environment that is good for some but not everyone.

Cons

Sometimes the work - life balance is compromised by the motivated work environment.

Advice to Management

Keep a focus on maintaining a entrepreneurial and creative culture. We have to avoid becoming too slow and encumbered to drive timely and appropriate innovation

7. "Greatest place to work!"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Treat their employees like gold, fair and with respect. The company values their employees and their opinions. Very open minded company. The BEST company to work for.

Cons

The company has too many people

Advice to Management

Keep communicating at all levels

8. "Writing software that gets used. A lot."

Current Employee - Software Technical Lead in Boxborough, MA
    Current Employee - Software Technical Lead in Boxborough, MA

Pros

Your software gets used by lots of people. They've got the marketting and sales machine so
    if you write good software it will get used. I worked for a LOT of startups and Cisco's major competitors and developed good code which never succeeded in the market. (One bridge won prizes as the fastest in the world at the time, but that company only sold a few hundred, while Cisco sold hundreds of thousands of switches in their Catalyst line.) At the end of the day you really want your work to matter.

Cons

IOS is supported on dozens of platforms so often bugs have to be ported to dozens or (for rare critical and pervasive bugs) even hundreds of software branches. While there are tools to help, you can feel like a drone when you have to work on maintenance.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

9. "Cisco review"

Current Employee - Product Sales Specialist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Product Sales Specialist in San Jose, CA

Pros

Strong branding with high customer credibility. Responsible organization that will address customer issues to satisfaction.

Cons

Mature company so compensation is not aggressive. Goals are challenging as they typically insert an uplift of 20-25% on actuals which can be difficult if you are in the same patch for several years.

Advice to Management

Review competitive compensation plans to insure that we are attracting and retaining the best and brightest in the industry. Cisco is no longer a company in which you can earn at a high level with current comp models.

10. "In summary"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Edison, NJ

Pros

Great technology, leader in the space

Cons

over hiring has changed things, huge cutbacks in expenses, to many accountants managing spreadsheets much different then 6 to 8 yrs ago.

Advice to Management

cut out some of the fat in the mgmt layer and get the google like creative spirt going. way to shirt and tie these days. jack of all trades or master of some? 100% commitment to products and market or get out.

Showing 11,495 of 12,641 reviews