Cisco Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

11,468 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Cisco - a leader in the industry"

Current Employee - Marketign Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Marketign Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

Cisco is an arms dealer - as internet technoligies and appliceations get more and more pervasive nad popular, as data and voice gets more and more critical to business and commerce - Cisco only stands to gain.

Good company, healthy culture, great benefits, good inter transfer opportunties

Cons

Matrix organization can be difficult to work in, silos and turf wars happen often, if you are in corp then San Jose is where you need to be to get ahead. Promotion seems to happen only when you look like you will leave otherwise - not because it is deserved

Advice to Management

More transparent promotion polic

2. "Cisco, a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Manager Advanced Services in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Manager Advanced Services in San Jose, CA

Pros

Growth Opportunities
    Excellent Leadership
    Diverse workforce

Cons

Big company, sometimes you get lost in the crowd

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing. Don't ever layoff people, keep salaries and benefits above par for the industry average

3. "Cisco is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boxborough, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boxborough, MA

Pros

The company is continuing to grow, creating many new interesting technologies to work on. Compared to other companies the salary is good, even better when you factor in bonuses. The work schedule is very flexible, and they allow telecommuting. Lots of perks like free soda, coffee, popcorn, gym usage, etc.

Cons

Some employees must work for remote managers since there are so many different offices.

Advice to Management

You're doing a good job, keep it up.

4. "Cisco is the best place to work in the Bay."

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in San Jose, CA

Pros

Collaboration, innovation, time off...Cisco has awesome management who want you to succeed.

Cons

Cisco is first and foremost hard to get into. Expect long interviews with winning applicant having a cheerleader push them through.

Advice to Management

Nothing they are fantastic. Hard to get to their position, but none the less, awesome. They are very helpful in giving you the opportunity to learn and grow as a person. They help you getting into the right career path towards what you actually want to do. They have great systems that talk to each other which I heard at other companies isnt necessarily the case.

5. "Great"

Current Employee - Manger, Software Development in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Manger, Software Development in San Jose, CA

Pros

Openness, Fun, Well Managed, Competitve

Cons

Big Company, Scale problems with any big company

Advice to Management

Do something to improve stock price

6. "Cisco, one great company to work for."

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Opportunities everywhere, you are given a job to do and most of the time you have a great deal of flexibility on how you can execute it. Cisco is like many small companies that you can access and move into, gaining experience, knowledge, and depth in your career path. All that and I can telecommute, what's there not to like?

Cons

Some people have a hard time with the passionate and aggressive way that Cisco goes about its business. You need to 'get it' and get on with it fast. No one wants to hear you whining about how hard it is to do what you need to do. Ask for advice, research your problem, propose and solution and make a decision. Unfortunately some of those who don't get are still around.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting our decisions and ensure that any decisions that affect us are explained in detail with the impacts.

7. "Perspective from the Field"

Current Employee - Territory Account Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Territory Account Manager in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

We really are a company that cares about our customers and partners alike. This has to be exemplified in the field of course, but Cisco gives us all of the tools and resources we need to show how much we care about our customers success as they build out their secure communications infrastructure. Not to mention the GREAT job they have done at empowering the partners and really building a model that we can be proud of. I came from a competitor 4 years ago that had a phenominal partner program and used to LOVE picking on Cisco's lack of partner friendly programs, resources and tools. Now I can say that Cisco has really put great focus on that area and of course, there is room for improvement and nothing is ever ever perfect, but we are getting much closer. The benefits that Cisco affords the employees are better when you are not in a remote territory, but they offer many other incentive programs that allow you to get the message that they care about employees well being. I have watched this company go way above and beyond for many co-workers who have either lost a child due to illness, needed additional care for a cancer diagnosis, etc - that comes from the top and resonates throughout the entire organization. We really work hard at living out our philanthropic duties in all of the countries that we serve through time, money and resources donations. Again something that comes from the top. We really are changing the way we work, live, play and learn!

Cons

There is never enough time in the day to get everything done that needs to get done. Expectations are that we will try and live a balanced life, but that is very hard to do when the demands outway the time available!

Advice to Management

Please get more field based feedback on changes to the sales models as we moved forward. It often feels like decisions are being made without getting information from all types of markets, rural vs. suburban, primary vs secondary vs tertiary vs REALLY rural :) We see so much in the field and can boil that into a few very pertinent points of interest as it relates to the sales model, partner and customer expectations in those various areas and ability to WIN against the competition.

8. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

great work life balance. Opportunities withing Cisco always come up. Corporate communication from upper management is frequent and clear. Compensation is reasonable and benefits are very good. I worked at a number of other companies, startups and large companies alike. Cisco treats their employees very good comparatively and expects good work out of them. Overall the best managed company I've ever worked for in my 12 year career. I worked at Cisco in the past, left and came back for this exact reason. I recommend anyone to come and work for Cisco. It is truly the best place to work.

Cons

Live work and play anywhere, but working from home is discouraged. I can see the reasoning behind this, but productivity must be measurable and as long as goals are met, working from home should be the norm to save commute time, fuel costs, environmental impact.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

9. "Keep up the good work"

Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Morrisville, NC

Pros

Benefits and salary seem very competitive

Cons

Time and effort and I didn't like relocating

Advice to Management

They are doing a good job

"Sales Associate Program a Chance of a Lifetime"

Current Employee - Associate Sales Representative in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Sales Representative in San Jose, CA

Pros

The People and the Culture. Immediately with in the first week of starting my job, I was awestruck with the quality of people I was working with. It was like finding several needles in a hay stack. The intelligence of conversations were by far in large very intriguing. The people I worked with while in training will not only be colleagues but friends for ever. This is extremely important in helping shape your career, as in the future these will most certainly prove to be invaluable resources.

On top of this Cisco is committed to providing you endless amounts of resources to help further your career. You will be rewarded for your achievements and I am talking about the kind of reward that maters to most of the world...

The CSAP provides opportunities down several paths not just one which was important to me. Opportunities exist for you to work with in the industry that you desire.

This was without a doubt one of the most rewarding times in my life, It is something I will look back on and feel proud to be a part of.

Cons

Well, we sure do work hard, which means working a lot. Be prepared to put in your fair share in. This may seem like a negative to some but you won't always have a manager that is telling you what to do. You have to further your learning by your self and find ways to create value. I take this as a blessing as I do not fit well into molds. Cisco will expect you to find your own right of passage but they will give you all the tools you need to feel empowered.

Advice to Management

Just be crystal clear when communicating changes. Things are heard thru the grapevine and I would recommend that as soon as management knows this they take care of it and clear it up. The accreditation of these facts should be taken care of with speed. I know senior management recognizes the value of the the program however I also believe that they could be a little bit more dialed in to the people in the program. I say people and not employees because at the end of the day everyone is just looking for a more personal experience. Overall Senior management does a fantastic job, the management they put into place is extremely talented.

Showing 11,468 of 12,611 reviews