Cisco Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Cisco Systems Reviews

Updated June 19, 2017

Pros
  • Best work life balance in the industry (in 1771 reviews)

• I get to work from home multiple days per week (in 881 reviews)

Cons
  • it can sometimes get overloaded - you are the only one responsible with your work/life balance (in 373 reviews)

• a big company like Cisco normally has less efficiency system (in 304 reviews)

"Software Engineer 2"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II ­ Applications Developer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

High pay
    great perks
    401k is good

Cons

crap work
    still using old tehnologies

"Cisco Jobs"

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer III in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer III in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time

Pros

Good environment, friendly team.
    Pay is ok with bonus and ESPP.

Cons

If you don't know somebody from the management team, be aware.
    You will be kicked out and after 6 months they will hire you back as a contractor since the ones who are friends with the management team stayed but can not do anything...
    They will cut your pay to 40% or more without any benefit and you will do the job to cover for those mentioned above...

"Cisco Webex Experience"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally speaking, perks and benefits are strong, though Webex/Collaboration business unit underpays relative to other business units.

Cons

Rapid management turnover while there. Consultants running amok. Company was looking to deep dive into their customer usage data to pull out lots of insights. Probably a privacy concern for companies that use Webex for sensitive meetings...

Advice to Management

Hire nice people. Retain nice people. Don't rely on contractors and consultants to run your business or develop your product. Treat your customers right. Don't abuse their trust.

"Cisco software engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

Good work life balance. Allow you to work remotely

Cons

I joined with a good salary 5 years ago as a new grad out of college, and I have seen only ONE increment of 5% in the last 5 years. It was not like I was not doing good. They kept doing re-orgs and rotated me under different managers. Each manager said I needed to establish myself with him. And each one promised me a promotion next year which didnt happen. I saw other people in other groups getting promoted or salary hiked much faster and here I am slogging under one manager after another, sometimes doing junk work that the technical leads themselves do not want to take. I stayed on because they gave me flexibility to work from home which I needed as I was facing some family issues. I looked outside and landed up with an offer that directly gave me a 45% hike. Happy to get out of here finally! I would not advise young people to join Cisco unless they know they are getting the right pay, the right recognition and growth in their careers. Each group is different, not every group need to be like mine. But move out as soon as you find out you are stagnating or you are not being just-fully rewarded/promoted, within 6 months.

Advice to Management

Please do not do ratings based on the peers in the same grade, but based on individual's performance and what is needed for that project. Promotions and salary hikes become too political, especially when you are under a new manager vs a seasoned manager who might have a good rapport with the director.

5. "Legendary reputation...some BU's have serious issues..."

Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Richardson, TX

I worked at Cisco Systems as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice perks. Everyone gets access to the fitness center and issued this nice towel. Shame you're not in a frame of mind to USE them unless you're in the right groups. There's no cafeteria One of the buildings had one they shuttered- but they have this nifty self-serve convenience store stuffed in part of where they had the caf. Debit card only. Security monitoring since you're not on an honor system with it.

Cons

Pros end with what I describe. Management's clearly lost, with nobody sound at the helm. The mass layoffs you hear about are partly due to their insistence on being multicultural, partly because many of the people involved with anything other than their original core businesses, switching and routing, have this disturbing and shocking lack of understanding of general networking, IP networking, or the like. They're "good" with things like 802.11 OTA/OTW frames, but behaviors due to spanning tree and the like? Forget it. And it shows. Look at the reviews of their WAP371AK9 1200AC AP. If you're doing something simple, it works reasonably well. Try to use the claimed features? Whooo... Simply put, if you're in anything other than the Unified Communications or Switching and Routing BU's, you're in for a trip into hell and they have as high as a 10% attrition rate from regular *ANNUAL* RIFs. Worse, you have to scrape and scrounge for almost ALL hardware you need to do your job, including the PC's. NOT what I would consider to be a good thing with a company such as Cisco.

Advice to Management

Surgically remove your heads from your backsides. Your name is about to quit carrying you forward and you're going to flush the company down the crapper. Meraki's being treated as "GOD, come down to earth" and they only do "well" in mesh WiFi work from the spun off RoofNet project (which, by the by, any fool can turn around and obtain that code core from MIT...)- they *DO NOT* have the answers regarding much of anything else and unifying the codebases...heh... GUT your Wireless BU and START OVER.

"Extreme caution - Trending negative in multiple areas"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Many Perks for "some" select positions. Nothing others do not offer. Work from home. Flexible hours but heavy load and long days. On campus medical and gyms now. On Campus cafeterias. A good manager is rare but if you end up with one they will let you guide your career. Employee stock purchase program.

Cons

Hostile work environment. Job Titles are diminished and not factual. As of 2015 reverting back to political structure of "good ole boys" network, VERY Political and NOT customer focused. Power hungry managers prefer to strip down the inside. Nortel Mentality has set in. Unable to execute any concepts advertised , smoke and mirrors. Focused on hiring Very low wage college graduates at sub par salaries- expect 30 to 40k less at Cisco. Inclusion and diversity is failing by taking unqualified employees and rising them to high pay , high ranking positions simply based on race and or sex. This is having a horrible impact on the customer and the business. If you like to keep the same salary forever, never move up , just lateral and you enjoy being stripped of your confidence, and you like to worry monthly about being laid off or fired then this is the gig for you! As of 2016 Cisco is failing hard. The new CEO is not business or tech, he is a ,math major. The original CEO still on the board runs the business via proxy. Cisco has had a history of success through acquisitions, that is why they are the Borg. This is failing now. Expect massive layoffs in FY16 and FY17 as they outsource more and cut staff. Internal training has dried up. The internal rating system is fixed and the employee has little if any say.

Advice to Management

Wake up! There are serious internal problems that are starting to bleed out. These are having a direct impact on the business and the customer. Cisco does not just need technical innovation it needs leadership and a focus on services. The routing and switching market is dying, Hang on to that and become Nortel, Fix internal issues. Bring back a fair rating system. Cisco has positioned itself to strong arm the employee. Shameful

"Sucks to be and older engineer at Cisco"

Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Latest and greatest for network equipment and 40Gb+ optical stuff.

Cons

Just remember that Cisco is a company run by sales people. The engineers are an unfortunate evil required to sell more equipment. If the senior executives could get rid of of the engineers ( or replace them with engineers from India or China ) they would.

Advice to Management

Acquiring companies to avoid having to invest in engineering is a valid strategy, but boy it sucks when you are one of the engineers that get acquired.

"OUTSOURCING"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

Nice facility and account team is nice

Cons

outsourced our jobs to costa rica

"Extremely risky job"

Former Contractor - Infrastructure Project Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Contractor - Infrastructure Project Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Interview was easy
    cooperative people
    flexible work schedule

Cons

They reviewed their budget and kicked 25 people (I know of) out in the middle of the day saying that they do not have work for them any more. It was crazy yet extremely unethical. They do similar things with even full time people.

Too much South Indian cultural. IT area is not diverse at all, South Indians only.

Advice to Management

Please add diversity in work environment. Provide some job security and do not treat professional people like a day labor.

10. "good company to work for"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

great company! Keep up the good work. Good wok life balance.

Cons

Give people more leeway to change jobs more often.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Showing 434 of 12,119 reviews