Cisco Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Cisco Systems Reviews

Updated February 22, 2017

Cons

1. "Cisco - Culture Lost"

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time

Pros

Great pay, stock, benefits remote work option

Cons

lack of leadership, direction, ethics

"a high tech company without innovation"

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good benefit; wide choices of job roles; plenty of opportunities to move up if you are in SJ; good employee services. Anything you can think of for work related, you can easier find answer or policy is there. Great talent in networking industry.

Cons

over the years, Cisco gradually lost its patience on engineering innovation. On the other hand, politics, process are weighing over innovation.

Advice to Management

Make Cisco innovation driven company, not process driven company.

"Where mediocrity reigns"

Pros

Decent salary, decent perks & bennies, occasional fun events.

Cons

Top-down sweatshop mentality; "The beatings (or layoffs) will continue until morale improves." Sadly, the latest iteration of the upper management regime is even further out of touch with those who do the work than the previous shot-callers. Same mixed messages as has become the norm for Cisco; previous CEO quoted as saying how much he cares about the workers the same week the company posts a record profit then turns around and lays off 6 thousand people. My amateur psychiatric diagnosis: this company is suffering from a serious personality disorder.

Advice to Management

The 800 lb. gorilla is destined to become a museum piece.

5. "Program Manager"

Pros

it feels like you are on a one year contract with Cisco, every August people get laid off and you have to fear for your job

Cons

great benefits and work life balance

"PAM"

Current Employee - Partner Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Partner Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work from home, great benefits and competitive compensation

Cons

Annual lay offs, lack of clear strategy, only care about the numbers and bottom line

Advice to Management

care about your employees more than you do wall street like the old Cisco did!

"Too much politics"

Pros

There is Good work life balance

Cons

First line managers are useless

"no job is safe"

Pros

some really strong colleagues existed before they were LRd. I was fortunate to work with a great number of teams. I enjoyed working on many different projects.

Cons

constant lay-offs leaves everyone grumpy and scared... you can be laid off for being 40+ no matter how good you are or if you have received commendations for good work. Don't expect to move within the company. They find it easier just to eliminate you and infill with new graduates. Their compensation levels are now much less and designed for those who lack experience.

Advice to Management

Have a strategic plan and keep it. Retain good talent instead of LRing them.

Sep 6, 2016 – Cisco Employee

We understand your frustration and want to assure you that the LR was not personal, rather, it was a difficult business decision to help us align with our future strategy. We will take your feedback ... More

"Supply Chain"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Program Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Program Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not many Pros in this company anymore. Most of what Cisco's management is doing to attract college hires is by spending a lot of money on free food, snacks and weekly Pop-up Parties!

Cons

Culture is changing--bringing in college hires --for every college hire, Cisco gets rid of two senior professionals. Then over loads the college hires, essentially paying them a 1/4 of the salary. It was a great place to work now it is just trying to hang on with less talent.

Advice to Management

So many other ways to cut waste and reduce costs, but killing one culture just to mimic other cultures like it's a fun place to work. NOT!

Aug 31, 2016 – Cisco Employee

We understand your concerns about our recent restructure but want to assure you that we are making strategic with our hiring and ask that you not disrespect our employees.

"Marketing is a hot mess -- morale at all time low"

Former Employee - Marketing in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Jose, CA

Pros

Employees themselves work hard to do the right thing IN SPITE OF the lack of leadership at director and VP levels.

Cons

Regular layoffs specifically targeting over 50 long-term employees who's salaries are "high." Pathetic senior management. "People Deal" is truly a joke and incredibly disingenuous -- you'll get a free PTO day off on your birthday, but we'll stack rank you and NOT tell you how you fared or why or what your "rating" is. Long-time employees (10 years+) laid-off with a moment's notice and a "generous" 3-month severance package. 3 months after 10+ years? Targeting over 50 year old employees?? People Deal??? Staggeringly hypocritical management.

Advice to Management

It's "never been a better time" to fire yourselves with a 3-month severance package. After all, you're all over 50, right?

"Minimal focus on talent development"

Former Employee - Strategy in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Strategy in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good RSUs, comparable salary
    - Great diversity
    - Foresight on market transitions and hype/buzz building around it

Cons

- Too many layoffs
    - ELT disconnected from what is really happening (disconnect between execution & slides)
    - Sr. Directors, Directors & VPs hired from outside (just because promotions are too political but getting a req is only a finance game)

Advice to Management

- Stop doing layoffs every year
    - Cut down the number of VPs, Directors and Sr. Directors and stop hiring Sr. Directors/Directors from outside with two years experience when you have loyal top talent within the company
    - Develop and promote internal talent - and that includes retraining talented employees

Sep 6, 2016 – Cisco Employee

Thank you for your review. We acknowledge that we are not perfect and want to assure you that we will take your review into consideration to better improve the areas that you mentioned.

Showing 951 of 11,333 reviews