Citi Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Citi Chief Executive Officer, Citigroup Michael Corbat
Michael Corbat

Pros
  • Upper management is great to work with and understands the need for a work life balance (in 551 reviews)

• Flexible work arrangement - many people can work from home or have flexible working hours (in 216 reviews)

Cons

1. "Former Contract Employee at Citi"

Former Contractor - Information Security Analyst in Irving, TX
    Former Contractor - Information Security Analyst in Irving, TX

I worked at Citi as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The Technical Building on Regent at Citi is a convenient place to work with plenty of places to eat nearby. Most folks that work there are very nice. Most employees are contractors. Perhaps 90%.

Cons

My team was largely Hispanic. I liked them, but was not pleased that they only spoke Spanish at work 90 % of the time. I do not speak Spanish, and found this rude. My New York boss made fun of me for this. No one likes being a minority, and I am still a white woman, and one of the forgotten minorities. I have been both management and non-management as a contractor and perm employee elsewhere. With the Corporate Culture that Citi portrays they would not condone the rude behavior that my team lead on site, and the one in New York treated me in-person and by phone. I know that my former boss's boss had to know that my boss treated his team this way, as they sat next to each other in New York (as they told me). I am from the South originally, but have also lived in Chicago and Missouri. People should not be afraid to speak up when there is a hostile environment at work. I told my team lead constantly that one of my co-workers talked down to me, and was rude to me when the team lead was not there. I was ignored by my on-site team lead, and I was told by my boss in New York, that he did not want to hear my complaints, because it was up to the team lead on-site to handle any issues there in the work place. Since this was a workplace issue, and I had already complained about the team lead shouting at me in meetings too... I felt that I had no way to turn to. So, I called my recruiting company and made a complaint to them. They in turn had a conference call with me - by phone - with a representative from the HR at Citi. I was spoken down to by the Citi HR rep, who made fun at me on the call. Two days later I was sent an email by my recruiter HR person at the meeting that my contract had been terminated. So, I was terminated for being a whistle blower. My complaint was never researched. I was hired on contract for a 1-year term, and renewed for a second contract. I am excellent at my job. I have been a business owner, a manager of a department, a middle manager of a large firm. I have taught college at several colleges. I have a Masters Degree in Computer Technology.

Advice to Management

My advice to Management, is that they do an "exit interview" with all employees, contract or otherwise. I have been a manager and a union representative in the past. I know how employees should be treated. Also, there are several illegal immigrants employed at this Citi location. I am a US Citizen. If you treat people like crap, then you leave yourself open to liability such as lawsuits.

2. "Every employee for themselves. Very political, no company culture."

Former Employee - Mortgage Processor in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Mortgage Processor in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at Citi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I meet some great people. I'd say the experience in general was "ok" but the most I took away from the company was the people I meet (people on the front line) not managers and executives.

Cons

No work life balance
    Low Pay
    No Engaging Management
    Very Political
    Project overload
    Unethical (every couple months we received an email stating we were paying millions in fines for unethical practices).

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees on the front line making you look good to your C-Level boss.

3. "Life at the bottom"

Former Contractor - Senior Production Manager in Lancaster, PA
    Former Contractor - Senior Production Manager in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Citi as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pro words are hard to find

Cons

Terrible managment.
    Marketing is a holding pen for recently minted college graduates with no idea of what they are doing. Incompetant and inept staffers. Makes the intrique in ancient Rome seem like a walk in the park.

Advice to Management

try talking to people

5. "Citi Corporate Banking Review"

Former Employee - Corporate Banking Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Corporate Banking Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Citi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Opportunity to move around bank.

Cons

Many unqualified employees with lack of basic financial knowledge

Advice to Management

Limit the bureaucracy and don't promote people who lack basic financial skills

"Tampa office is hit & miss - I missed. Will never go back & can't recommend."

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Tampa, FL

I worked at Citi full-time

Pros

Beautiful campus in Tampa - outdoor walkways, gym, plenty of outdoor seating. Covered parking. Nice part of town.

Cons

There is literally no on-boarding process. My direct supervisor was useless. Bragged about his 12-hour workdays. Everyone around me, every day, was just grinding it out with minimal vision, minimal strategy (no why/how - just find the nearest problem and start working.) Pay was low from the get-go, but it's my own fault for accepting. I should have seen the writing on the wall. My boss balked at an $11 fee for a new Citi group email (suggested by another employee as a process improvement.) He literally said, "it's $11? Let me think on it." That's how cost-conscious Citi is, so I couldn't wait for year-end raises (not.) No one in my group took lunches. So tied to their desks. Also, AVP/VP is a joke. Title structure is a joke. It isn't nearly as prestigious as one may think, and their pay demonstrates it. After I accepted, my AVP role suddenly showed in the system as AVP Analyst.

On the day I quit, one of the NYC execs was doing a webinar. No one in my group attended, because no one freaking cares about the big picture, apparently. They just sat there, slumped in their desks, grinding it out. I dialed into the webinar and reviewed the anonymous questions posed by Tampa employees to the NYC exec, for him to answer. 9 of 10, no joke, were about the bad morale, bad pay, and lack of vision in Tampa. It confirmed everything I'd seen. I quit 2 hours later, and walked out with a pep in my step.

Final word: after speaking with several recruiting firms, they all nodded their head when I talked about Citi in Tampa. One recruiter said "Citi sucks, everyone in Tampa knows it." I'm so glad I left, and I pity the people who stay there and grind it out. There's so much else out there. Within 10 days, two roles were on my plate paying more, with higher-quality work and companies with better culture.

7. "Credit Analyst"

Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at Citi part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, set schedule, paid training

Cons

Poor management. Constantly receiving low scores for petty errors such as not using a customers name or not sounding upbeat enough. You had to check in with someone every time you had to use the bathroom and at the end of the week, they'd review how much time you spent in the bathroom.

It's a typical call center. Good if you need some quick and extra cash but not ideal for long term employment.

"They lied about giving bonuses!!!!!"

Former Employee - Call Center Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Citi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the benefits were ok, but I expected better than that. Nice cafe and nice child care on site.

Cons

When a company tells you that they are going to be giving you a $1k bonus if you do a certain amount of work and you do. Then you DESERVE TO GET THAT BONUS CHK. I went up the chain of command ALL THE way to HR just to get the run around. I still NEVER GOT MY BONUS CHK.. THEY CAN'T BE TRUSTED!!!!!

Advice to Management

Need to know that employees deserve to be paid for the work that that did and in the amount they were promised....

9. "Good company to work brought down by bunch of idiots in management"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Citi as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Except for relaxed times off work , everything else was a con

Cons

- Corrupt Indian managers both on Citi and vendor site.
    - Bad work culture, constantly sucking blood out of contractors
    - Treating contractors like slaves of 18th century.
    - No pay hike for job completed beyond expectation

Advice to Management

Kick some of the management guys out and you should be back on track.
    Entire corruption rests in one race hand, bring in more diversity.
    Stop bringing your relative and friends as referrals who are incompetent.

"Experience depends 85% on your manager and team"

Current Employee - Analyst (ISG) in Getzville, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst (ISG) in Getzville, NY

I have been working at Citi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Like Citi overall down right hate current manager and coworkers. Big name to put on resume with many employee engagement events from tug of war literally to family feud. You literally get to excuse yourself in the middle of the day for friendly competition i.e.. summer olympics and etc.. or tailgating in the Parkin lot to dress down for Irish holidays or bills football games.
    Chance to network with senior management and work from home depending on your manager/department as some people are easier to work with than others. And do take this literally!!!
    Happy hours paid by senior management that visit from outside of buffalo or NYC
    Ability to transfer overseas if a position is available.

Cons

Some of the managers/peers are unprofessional and disrespectful prejudice even.
    As well as extremely Cut throat!! If you don't play the game be prepared for constant harassment and ridicule. And hope you're not the only person of color on a backwards minded team since if you don't play the role of "token" they will harasses you and go on smear campaigns to ruin your chances of securing a new role within citi at the end of the year. As a lot of managers are in cohorts with each other.
    Lower pay compared to competitors
    Metrics system is rigged since there are only a few scores ranging from 1-4 with 4 being the highest and a one needing a minimum score of 3 in order to transfer into a new department/role or be eligible for a promotion. For example a team can have 10 people and have only 2 scores of 4available 2 scores of 3 and then 1 score of 2 and the last five scores of 1s will be given to the remains five analysts. A score of 2 means you are holding on to your job by a string because you're doing the bare minimum to keep it in your managers eyes. And scores of 1 mean you're on the verge of facing disciplinary actions i.e. Termination. So despite how hard people work there's only so many good scores up for grabs. Brown nosing and politics unfortunately will overshadow performance. Despite diversity initiatives some people are still racist and rude and make disgusting comments that hr will write off as "coaching" as they are only there for Citi's best interest i.e. Management not yours. Location is off of a highway in the
    Middle of nowhere with terrible reception inside and outside of the building so if you're doing phone interviews during breaks be prepared to lose reception or have to use a sick day or planned vacation to seek other opportunities. Again overall experience varies depending management/team/department. Back office/operations in general is boring head banging against the wall 9-5 barely middle class gigs anyway.

Advice to Management

FYI when people are constantly leaving only months in of starting the job it's a reflection of you! As there's mundane work throughout the bank yet some departments don't have to constantly advertise req's!!

11. "Amp analyst"

Former Contractor - AML Compliance Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Former Contractor - AML Compliance Analyst in Tampa, FL

I worked at Citi as a contractor

Pros

Good company if they hire fulltime

Cons

Citi treat their contract employees like crap. They talk down to you like you a child. The permanent employees act like temps are scum. Management show alot of favoritism towards permanent employees only. Alot of micro-managing. Poor training with high expectations. You get reward for good work and promotions by them getting rid of you. It's a revolving door no consistency in that department. Don't go there without a back up plan.they use you abuse you and get rid of you.

Advice to Management

Treat people like human and stop running the department like a elementary school.

Showing 553 of 7,284 reviews