Citi Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Compliance Officer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at Citi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary and benefits are good.

Cons

Way to much work and the work life balance for my current team is unrealistic. Future for next few months doesn't look to show improvement as realignment continues.

"Not a meritocracy"

Current Employee - Vice President in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Vice President in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Citi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are pretty decent, and include paternity leave. Large company, and plenty of opportunity to move around laterally.

Cons

Citi offers a highly political environment, and you will often see promotions occurring more due to politics than due to skill and value added. Additionally, Citi insists on forcing employees to "apply" for promotions - employees can not simply be promoted due to their performance.

3. "Ok"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Conshohocken, PA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Conshohocken, PA

I have been working at Citi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, Good PTO

Cons

No communication, no collaboration, not challenging

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees

4. "Long time Employee"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Citi full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Top tier financial services firm

Cons

*Constantly reducing the workforce
    *Offshoring jobs all over the world
    *Limited career progression unless you are a trader or salesperson

Advice to Management

*Change the culture of perpetual layoffs. It wrecks morale and has been ongoing for more than 10 yrs

5. "Favoritism"

Current Employee - Escalation Specialist in Florence, KY
    Current Employee - Escalation Specialist in Florence, KY

I have been working at Citi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great and the job is fairly easy as long as you have a basic customer service skills. There's also an abundance of departments to choose to work in.

Cons

Unless you're willing to stroke egos all day you will see people that do less work than you get promoted before you. You will also notice that people who are "buddies" with management are not hel as accountable as everyone else .

Advice to Management

Stop letting people that brown nose and don't work as hard move up over people that take pride in their work and performance.

6. "Vice President, Branch Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southern, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southern, LA

I worked at Citi full-time

Pros

Great Benefits and offers a variety of products!

Cons

Short staffed and spread very thin. Some branches are closed on Saturdays so if you happen to be working in a branch that is open on Saturday, you're expected to work 6 days a week. No work/ life balance. You become burnt out especially when you are putting in 8-10 hrs. Weekdays!

Advice to Management

Put your self in your employees shoes!!!! Senior Management I would ask you when was the last time did you run a branch? Switch job for a week and see how much we go through.... It's much easier to be setting in a office somewhere uninterrupted typing tons of emails & setting up conference calls!!!!

7. "It is a great company to work for but be sure you know what you are getting in to"

Former Employee - Underwriter in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Dallas, TX

I worked at Citi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, the company is very open and diverse, they offer "Angel Days" an extra day off a year if you donate an hours pay each pay period. They offer a free day off to allow you to volunteer in a charity. The facility I was in had a world class cafe with chef prepared offerings and a gym for $12 a month on site.

Cons

The old saying that your job is only as good as your boss is true. If you don't have a good working relationship with your manager and there is no growth opportunity or transfer opportunity where you work in the company, you are doomed. That was my experience. The entire floor is set up in tiny half walled cubicles. Everyone and I mean everyone (VPs included) were in them. It did not matter how much quiet or concentration your job required or what the stakes were if you made a mistake - you were in a bull pen environment . No one respected your space or need for quiet in that environment. The managers all had conference calls at their desks, meetings at their desks. Parties in other departments on the floor. Citi was also very bad about having "clicks" and the management tended to be hobbled by senior management to the point that they had no real decision making authority. What resulted was a "Stepford" like unit. There was just no escape and no one to tell or who would listen.

Advice to Management

To SVPs, stop being afraid of your manager and find your voice. Notice if you have a manager that has never hired anyone that ends up staying as their employee. It could be the problem is not the employees but the manager. Be aware that the culture there is to be afraid of management and to never speak to them. That really should be a red flag to you. Fear and intimidation is no way to manage. Ensure that your management team is not managing by withholding information or playing favorites. Having to re-hire and re-train staff costs the company a fortune in the end.

8. "Financial controller"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Citi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Equal opportunity , lot of responsibility and diversity.

Cons

Even unqualified employees are getting responsibilities. They lie a lot and don't work. It appears only the greedy are getting top jobs. The entire senior managers are fraud in Asia. couple of them are bullies and influence others to do wrong things (stealing money) Reporting to New york was of no avail as they are doing bigger fraud with Bill clintons of the world. Shameless bankers. To call them thugs is not be a mistake.

Advice to Management

you are actually a risk to American society as you have many retired frauds from Asia in America and UK etc playing golf with stolen money pension. Do you have any shame? I guess not. Even after complaining several of these rogue bankers are getting jobs in other Banks/fortune 100 -visa, mastercard, jp morgan, etc etc goldman sachs.

9. "ONE STOP SALES AGENT"

Former Employee - One Stop Sales in Florence, KY
    Former Employee - One Stop Sales in Florence, KY

I worked at Citi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits if you stay long enough, upward mobility in a year, bonuses on sales

Cons

I had serious ethics concerns so I left. They tell you a 6 month learning curve to do your job perfectly but put you on the phone working with client accounts in a matter of a few weeks , telling you you are doing great while you are managing them incorrectly. The training computers do not work the same way as the real world computers so "training" is often times wasted time and ineffective.

Advice to Management

If you want people to work well for your clients, then be available when they have concerns and questions. You need more trainers handy for OJT questions and have training systems work the same as real world systems..

"You can't fix it if you won't acknowledge it is broken."

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Citi full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is promoted, teamwork within my group was outstanding, benefits are some of the best in the industry.

Cons

The culture that has developed in the business is one where I was repeatedly told that I was lucky to have a job. This was intended to be a motivator to stay and persevere, however, what it actually did was increase the gap between production employees and leadership. Imagine your boss walking toward you in an empty hallway. you smile and say "hello," and your boss looks at you blank faced and passes in silence. That is the culture of Citigroup Jacksonville. I can tell you the first 2 words that come to mind when that happens are not "forget you!"

Advice to Management

Get to know your people! A paycheck is NOT the only reason a person CHOOSES to work for an employer. A negative environment is toxic to cooperation, productivity, communication, inspiration, and satisfaction. I hated walking into that building! The environment was bad for my physical and mental well being, so, I took my 20 years of experience and found somewhere where I was appreciated, and where I was TOLD I was appreciated and where I was treated as part of a team.

Showing 1,038 of 7,604 reviews