Citi Reviews | Glassdoor

Michael Corbat
1,407 Ratings

4,146 Employee Reviews

Cons

1. "Overall this is a great company to work for and if given the chance I would go back"

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

Pros

Large corporation with a small company feel. Since the company has different divisions and they allow then to run pretty autonomous.
    Great benefits package. Their benefits package is all inclusive that you do not see anymore. They have the regular stuff along with dissability, 401k with matching along with supplemental retirement.
    Willing to look at different options and ways of doing things
    Employee and community concious, they provide avenues for you to support local causes with their sponsorship. Donations taken out pre-tax and company matching.

Cons

Large Corporation so they can move slow on changing to new technologies.
    Decisions can be handed down without looking at the impact on actual production at a lower level.

Advice to Management

Work with the actual people that will be using a tool to see if it makes sense. More open communication with the parties that decisions will be affecting.

2. "Great environment for rapid advancement."

Current Employee - Operations Director - Vice President in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Operations Director - Vice President in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Mobility, presence in 100 countries, potential for rapid career advancement, commitment of employees to company objectives. There is a very good Leadership Development program for business grads (undergraduate and MBA)...this will promote quick advancement if you are qualified and provide the opportunity for global travel for each of your rotations, three at 1- year each.

Cons

Too many reorganizations, frequent recruiting for key senior positions externally.

Advice to Management

Keep the senior management team stable for a while. We are losing good talent to our competition.

"Merrill Lynch, UBS and other investment firms are losing their Financial Advisors to Smith Barney."

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Federal Way, WA

Pros

You are compensated for the work you perform. If you bring in the assets and produce the revenue, you get a share of that and the Company pays the overhead for extensive state-of-the-art platforms and your office. The benefits package, including retirement options, are the best.

Cons

Competition is keen for new clients and finding them in the current market environment can be very difficult. Also, each branch has a different personality based mostly on the Branch Office Manager (BOM). So, pick your manager carefully. Pressure to perform can be intense, whether self-imposed or from management.

Advice to Management

Make sure Citigroup and Smith Barney have the most solid balance sheets in the industry. I would also like to see television and radio ads for Smith Barney and less for the parent Citi. Resurrect the John Houseman commercials! Everyone likes them!

"Citi - a true global franchise that offers unlimited possibilities."

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

Great culture, helpful people, a true global franchise that offers unlimited possibilities. The company has a great training program for the incoming analysts and also other great and helpful resources needed for career advancement. Senior management are supportive of new ideas and the town hall meeting held by Vikram Pandit is really bringing the company together and moving the company towards Citi's goal.

Cons

Long Hours in most of the roles.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. You're doing the right thing by creating a teamwork environment.

5. "Great company that is lurching due to tactical management"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

Innovative banking solutions. The last word in banking in terms of global reach, product suite, impact to customers, technology and problems to solve. Always rewards the people with go getter atttitude.

Cons

Politics and red tape that blunts the effectiveness of the good part of working in Citi. No Human resources development . Sometimes you could feel overwhelmed by the in sensitivity of the place.

Advice to Management

Effective cost cutting can only be through Innovation. Need to cut down wax. We have been penny wise and pound foolish for the last 6-7 years. Strengthen HR if you guys are really serious of handing over the torch.

6. "Low tide lowers all ships"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

Pros

Pure meritocracy - those who do the job best, get paid the best.

Cons

Huge company - easy to get lost if you let yourself

Advice to Management

We have a good story to tell, but no storytellers. Time for a change at the top to somebody who can generate confidence in our product - not a technocrat.

"Review"

Current Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA

Pros

Overall it is a good company culture. The hours are long and hard, but if you like your job it is well worth it.

Cons

Sometimes management is not on your side. You have to be able to take criticism well or you will not last in the industry.

Advice to Management

I would recommend that they spend more time on their management skills and less time on just making sure the job gets done.

"Citi - A great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

We are really trying to change the mindset of the employees to focus on putting the client first in everything we do. From empowering the associates taking calls to streamlining the processes and overcoming decades old systems and beliefs. Senior management is committed to the goal and the employees We have a ways to go in some areas, but will get there eventually.

Cons

Sometimes we get stuck in old ways of doing things, not all the time can we think out of the box to meet our clients needs.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on the client, the employees and the shareholders and we will be successful

9. "Appropriate"

Current Employee - Collector II in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Collector II in Irving, TX

Pros

Very good place to work. I loved the people, the compensation, the bonuses were amazing.

Cons

I did not like the work I did. I do not have the personality of a collector. I am very nice and sensitive. The only reason I lasted so long here was because of the great people, work environment, compensation, bonuses, and benefits.

Advice to Management

None. They were all great and treated everyone fairly! I do miss them!

10. "CitiGroup, CitiBank, CitiHoldings a World Industry in a World of Diversity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

One of the largest banking industries in the world, the opportunities are endless. Citibank is located in over 140 countries in the world. They support and encourage financial, educational, and cultural personal growth.

Cons

Since there are constant changes and growth programs, you will have to be adaptive to change in location as well as restructure shifting of companies.

Advice to Management

Keep your people informed and ahead of the game. Make sure you make it known you appreciate your people and they will support you. They will be loyal and appreciative of your efforts.

Showing 4,146 of 7,465 reviews