Citi Reviews | Glassdoor

4,146 Employee Reviews

"CitiCorp, Fading Giant"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Melville, NY

Pros

if not affected by cutbacks, it's a job. systems, programs and rules are set up to make it a place to grow and achieve but rank and file management are too dis-attached, watching the price of their stock to worry about day to deliverable or quality of the work or product provided (should go in downsides, I guess)

Cons

too clannish, not as professional as other global financial services firms. my world, mainly 20 years in plus, you are more at mercy of direct managers and his (my world was not at all female-friendly) peers than at many other similar firms. little interest in outside best practices or knowledge

Advice to Management

implement some of the lip service about how valuable staff is

"Serious need for corporate restructing a slave driving company with Terrible Management"

Current Employee - Risk Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Risk Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

If you just need to get in quickly to gain some experience to put on your resume

Cons

Lack of respect and fairness throughout the company. Overall culture of the company is terrible. Pay in alot of areas are below market value. Upper and middle management are poor decision makers, they work off of a Good old boy system, employee are treated like cattle instead of human beings. They push directives that are not profitable just to show an initial profit and take a loss on the back end. Some positions which are considered as a promotion but no pay increase. No matter the position if promoted we only give you 10-15% more than current salary. Do not care about obtaining further education this will not change pay.

Advice to Management

Fire all upper management and recruit a knowledgeable and experienced management to change the direction and culture of the company. Pay fair market value for jobs to retain talent and gain competitive advantage. Stop the Good old boy system before the company total goes under.

"Pandit travels the world while employees are let go"

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Global company with many locations

Cons

Bad leadership, management bring in their incompetent friends from other companies to lead departments

Advice to Management

It's not surprising Citi's stock is down considering how poor the leadership is

"Frustrating environment"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

Learn and develop skillset and that is pretty much it.

Cons

There are plenty of downsides. Too many management layers, too many employees, no opportunity for career advancement. Lack of unified culture. Pay is lower as compared to banks pay or brokerage firms. No recognition from the management on job well done. Low employee moral and a very demotivating working environment.

Advice to Management

Break up this company or else GOOD LUCK fixing it!

"A once-great enterprise crushed by executive greed and its unmanageable size"

Pros

None. I have been with Citi for 12 years and I am devasted my what the greed of our senior leaders has done to the company and the country.

Cons

Leadership vacuum. Senior executive greed at the expense of the front line employees and clients. Our senior leaders are so focused on saving their own skins that they have forgotten what this company was built on - loyal dedicated service to our CLIENTS.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility for what you have done. "Everyone was doing it" is not good enough. Forgo your bonuses - you know you haven't earned them.

"Had High Hopes, Shattered by Citi Management"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President, Project Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President, Project Manager in Columbus, OH

Pros

I was asked to return to a company Citi recently acquired in 2007. With that, I believed that the job that I was doing was going to help our clients and our staff be successful. Instead the dysfunctional organization continued to spend money on bad decisions and upper management was not held accountable. I delivered my work on-time, bridged fractured client relationships and began making end-roads to baselining our staff with Citi's delivery model. Suddenly, I was caught in the middle of the 50,000 person layoff and yet am the only senior project manager who was relieved of their duties.

Cons

Day-to-day, staff are not sure what changes are going to happen. The management staff in Columbus don't talk with clients, their own staff which leads to no one really knowing where the intiatives are going.

Advice to Management

Global Markets shoud sack all IT directors and managers in Columbus and start over with a completely new slate. They are not willing to change in order to pull Citi back up.

"I'm looking for a new company."

Current Employee - Operations Associate in Getzville, NY
    Current Employee - Operations Associate in Getzville, NY

Pros

It looks good on a resume. That is all that I can think of. I work in operations, a entry job. The benefits were very good about a year ago, but due to the recession, they have gotten very "average".

Cons

No raises for 2008, even after hard work. They give you a "promotion" which means more work and no extra pay. There is very little incentive for attendance, so people call in and use all of their sick days.

This company is too focused on "cultural diversity". People of a diverse background are given promotions even though they are grossly unqualified. Its very sad to see, but it happens in every department.

The cut the educational reimbursement money in half, and raised the health care costs (mine doubled)..

Pay is right in the middle, probably on the low side for the amount of work that you do.

Walk around the halls in Citi, everyone is miserable. People will stab each other in the back at any cost to advance themselves, or at least they think they are "advancing".

Upper management will never deliver bad news directly to you, they pass it on to middle managers who's hands are tied. I actually feel bad for the middle management (kind of).

People in upper management make operational policy, yet they have never worked in operations themselves. Its hilarious some of the rules that they make. Totally clueless operation.

Advice to Management

Its such a shame that I am not proud to work at this company, do something to make working here something that we are proud of.

"Very poor communication, long hours"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

Pros

steep learning curve, challenging work environment,

Cons

Very poor communication between management and analysts, management had no respect for analysts. worked very long hours on projects because of lack of communication and the fact that managers don't care about analysts

Advice to Management

stop working your analysts so hard!

"Middle Management Highly Incompetent"

Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Citi --the brand .. Even in tough times people look up to Citi (non management) alums

Cons

While the analyst team you work with is highly competent at producing quality independant objective analysis, the research management is nothing to talk about. Need to trim the likes of research directors and assoiciate directors. tonne of them doing practically nothing.

Advice to Management

Trim the FAT not the bones ...

10. "Citi Culture"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

There are currently making some solid changes that are are long overdue

Cons

Citi is very slow to change partly due to the culture of the company; very beuarocratic

Advice to Management

Give employees more ownership to enduce change but hold people accountable for their actions

Showing 4,146 of 7,465 reviews